Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) March 27 Potholes (Read 7756 times)
gotfive
Ex Member

March 27 Potholes
03/29/10 at 01:59:55
Quote Print Post  
7 1/2 hours on the pond Saturday.  Main lake was 44 degrees and up to 53 in the dunes.  Caught two pig LM on jig/pig, 4.2 and 4.9 on successive flips to the same tree.  Go figure.  Pounded the heck out it on Saturday.  Water level typical for this time of the year but coming up.  Boat was good, all the equipment checked out, ready to get it going again.  Blowing and raining outside right now........... Tongue

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: March 27 Potholes
Reply #1 - 03/29/10 at 02:20:36
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,

Thanks for the report from the pond. Makes us all salivate for warm days on the Holes and big fish.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/29/10 at 05:08:31
Quote Print Post  
Mmmmmm. Potholes.......... Jigs........... Cover............ Pitchin'............... (drool)

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/30/10 at 00:02:27
Quote Print Post  
Interesting calculations that I produced from Saturday's trip.  7 1/2 hours is equal 450 minutes.  If you subtract the time spent running with the big motor, stopping for a bite of lunch, potty breaks or other short breaks in the action, I estimated that I spent a total of 405 minutes flipping and pitching.  I also calculated that I made 6.5 flips and pitches per minute or fp/m.  This number may differ from one angler to the next, based on a variety of factors including, but not limited to, the weather (how freaking cold my hands are or how many gallons per minute (gp/m) my nose is running) and wind, type of cover fishing, weight of the jig, fishing pressure, etc.  So I see two numbers and I like to put them together and see what happens.  405 minutes x 6.5 f/p per minute = 2,632.5 presentations made.  So if my numbers are correct and using simple division, I averaged 1,316.25 flips/pitches per fish.  This could also be presented as a percentage of time fighting a fish versus not.  Please keep the snickers and snotty comments to a minumum.  If 405 minutes was the time spent fishing and it took an average of 30 seconds to land each fish, then a whopping .002% of my time was spent fighting a pig LM and 99.99% spent searching for them.  Ahh, it was a perfect day. Cool

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/30/10 at 00:49:56
Quote Print Post  
That 0.002%, my friend, is what fishing is all about.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #5 - 03/30/10 at 03:16:32
Quote Print Post  
I will be there working on my calculations...... Tongue from Thursday thru Sunday rain or shine because I NEED TO FISH!!!!!
I have precalculated my trip....
1-(Me) X 4 (days) fishing =  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/30/10 at 03:47:24
Quote Print Post  
Not to mention that one of my favorite fishing partners was on the pond.  Who doesn't hear a Redwing Blackbird and NOT think of spring at Potholes?  Yep, it was a perfect day.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #7 - 03/30/10 at 15:52:17
Quote Print Post  
Based upon my analyzation of all those calculations you made Kirk, I'd say you were spending time daydreaming about when you can retire and fish more Smiley.  Your work must be starting to become boring! Smiley

Smitty Wink

AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #8 - 03/30/10 at 16:11:49
Quote Print Post  
by my calculations I have spent 99.9% of my money trying to catch these fish  Shocked

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #9 - 03/30/10 at 23:33:21
Quote Print Post  
By my calculations the water needs to warm up about 10 degrees before I can fish with no flashbacks or Phobia's of falling in the water. Twice

Come on Potholes Open.

I just realized that we have about 18 days before the tournament and we have no trash talking. Hmm

Daryl

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #10 - 03/31/10 at 06:06:18
Quote Print Post  
Hate to be critical about the "Open" if it were an "Open" it would be "Open" to all.....this tournament or "Open" is in every definition of the word an "Invitational" so if someone can please tell the yahoos who run this "Open" to change the name to "The Potholes Invitational" it would be appreciated......
Rant complete.....we may all go on with our lives now.

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #11 - 03/31/10 at 13:19:55
Quote Print Post  
Larry

I understand your frustrations. I fished it for the first time last year finishing 12th and didn't get an Invitation this year. Go figure. But my partner did.

Daryl

IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/31/10 at 22:22:30
Quote Print Post  
Who loves ya brother.... Wink  I'm hopeful we can have another good showing this year Shocked

IP Logged

Joel_Booth
Forum Member

Silver?........ I hate
Silver!!

Reply #13 - 04/01/10 at 00:00:20
Quote Print Post  
I asked this same question a couple years back and got slammed by some of the regulars but yes it is most definately an invitational. Cheesy

IP Logged

Jack
Forum Member

Reply #14 - 04/01/10 at 00:13:31
Quote Print Post  
Kirk, Are talkin about me or molly? I got about 4.5 hours of flippin in.(the tent thing worked great for molly) Saw some good fish but no takers. Jack

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo