Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) HEY LETS GO!! (Read 6580 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

HEY LETS GO!!
02/06/03 at 03:11:08
Quote Print Post  
Hey lets go fishin!
Here I sit...Broken hearted......oh......Tried to fish and .....HAD A HANKERIN FOR POTHOLES! So lets go! I want to go fish Potholes Friday-Sunday and return Sun Afternoon.....Reports for weather is good and Motel looks like it is avail. at Mar-Dons so, Who's Up For It??
Phone is (253) 630-3988 and you know the e-mail...we can fit more in the rooms so.......
LETS GO FISH POTHOLES!!

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Re: HEY LETS GO!!
Reply #1 - 02/06/03 at 03:53:19
Quote Print Post  
Larry Sullivan, you play with my emotions...

I have been thinking the same thing and have always wondered if I could catch Eastern Washington bass in the dead of winter. I may take you up on Sunday! Talk to you at the board meeting!

Chris

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/06/03 at 14:15:18
Quote Print Post  
I'm up for that!! Grin Grin

It seems I MAY be able to go. The truck will be going in for brake work, so I'll be truckless  Sad and therefore boatless  Sad . I won't be able to get off work until 6pm Friday but can drive down Friday night.

Call me at work and let me know if this works - 206-461-1282. I'll try calling you Thursday morning...

FAZ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/06/03 at 18:11:52
Quote Print Post  
For those interested...Mar-Dons has rooms at $34.00 a night but the restaurant is closed till March....They are getting a good Walleye bite and some Smallies in the Lind Coulee. check out mardonresort.com for info and fishing reports.
Oh yeah...it is gonna be cold at low to mid 40s as the high but down to the low 20s at night......but it is FISHIN!! Grin Grin

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/06/03 at 18:37:08
Quote Print Post  
That's good for me.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/07/03 at 00:28:53
Quote Print Post  
I'll pack my shorts....Have fun and stay safe. vw

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/10/03 at 17:31:09
Quote Print Post  
Oh Man!.............where do I start............OK.
Myself and the Faz-Man made it to Potholes around 7pm Friday and hit the rack at 10pm so we could hit the lake at sun-up.....yes.......with Faz you have to maximize time on the lake...We started fishing Smallies around Goose Island and the Lind Coulee with maybe a bite here and there....we then, after a lunch of baloney sandwiches went Walleye fishing with Blade baits in 28-36 ft of water at the "Spring" in front of the dunes...jigging and Faz tapped a nice 3lb 6 oz Eye for the first fish-o-the trip...(and a quarter loss by me!)...we jigged for an hour and a half when we decided to try the dam for smallies and walleye.........now comes the hard part........
Sometimes people do things for a reason and sometimes people do things beyond description well this was one of those times we all dread.....someone falling in 39 degree water with 38-42 degree air temp in the middle of the desert. Yes my drought of having never fell out of a bass boat has ended, and it could'nt have happened at a worse time. While going up to lower the trolling motor I stepped on the fibreglass gunnel and slipped, landing on the left gunnel I had just slipped on I felt my legs slide off the boat and that cold cold sting of 39 degree water filling my clothes and splash my face...surpizingly....I had my Vest still on......rare for me as I usually leave it at the seat hooked to the kill switch but thankfully I had it on and bobbed right back to the surface......Faz immediately.....having heard a rampant volley of panicked explatives ran to my aid and after some creative use of the engine and Faz getting a back strain in the process I was back on the boat with only one thing on my mind....have to get back and get warm!! after only 2-3 minutes in the lake I could barely move my legs......and Faz said I looked like I was smoldering as the heat steamed off me..........WHOOOOOO.......MAN THAT SUCKS!!  After a shower and some warm fluids and regaining my composure....and wits we returned to the scene of the crime and in typical Potholes fashion.....I was awarded a Smally of 2lbs 2oz in 34 ft. of water on a drop shot Robo Worm for my sufferage which ended day one with a wonderful Potholes sunset we all know and love........Dinner consisted of Walleye sandwiches (Walleye wrapped in Bacon and fried......OH YEAH!!).  Day #2 began at 8:30 after a night of Back spasms and cramps possibly from mild Hypothermia after a breakfast of bacon and corned beef hash and hot coffee....remember summer yet....hmmmm? and after a full day of flailing the water with drop shots, football heads, blade baits and Carolina rigs no Smallies or Walleyes except a lost fish in the afore-mentioned Smally area was what would come of this day....but both days had some of the Brightest-Blue'st and Warmest skies you can find this time of year.....the crisp air just seem to warm by what seemed like 20 degrees in the sun as we had nary a breeze all week-end. I highly recommend going in these conditions but above all....go with someone else who can help in the event of an emergency. Oh as a sad note ......the search continues for two anglers on Moses Lake where they're boat had capsized. Do'nt mean to put a bad spin on our trip but it is a reality that I had not even taken into account prior to this happening.  
« Last Edit: 02/10/03 at 22:08:04 by »  

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/10/03 at 21:22:48
Quote Print Post  
Any idea how fast the aliens retreated to the mothership after such a drastic temp. change?  Grin

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/10/03 at 22:02:48
Quote Print Post  
I think you are talking about my offer from the Seattle Opera for the Soprano opening in the next play..........I sounded like Mickey Mouse the Truck Driver!

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #9 - 02/11/03 at 03:36:20
Quote Print Post  
Thank God you're alright, Larry.  I've fallen into 54 degree water - and continued to fish - so I have an inkling of how it feels (something I will NEVER do again!).  But my event was basically a matter of comfort; yours was a matter of life or death!

I'm glad you knew the "trick" about using the main motor as a "step" to get back in the boat (step on the trim tab and then raise the motor).  Something all of us need to be reminded of.

Faz - I think I speak for all of us by saying a big THANK YOU!!   You da' MAN!

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/11/03 at 04:22:32
Quote Print Post  
I can't imagine which was worst, the embarassament of falling into the water, or having Richard take off all his clothes in order to share his body heat with you...
I am glad that you are OK (except for the strained back) and that you were able to fish another day.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/11/03 at 15:59:43
Quote Print Post  
These days education isn't cheap!! Thanks for coming out of the closet on this one, hopfully it's a lesson learned by all, Kinda reminds me of my "safty artical a month ago!......Ok now that you've had a chance to think about it, if you were by yourself, what would you have done for a self rescue? What would have been differnt if you didn't have your life jacket on? And How much time do you think you had in the water before a self rescue couldn't be made?
   Thanks again for the lesson, I'm glad your ok and with us.....Richard, thank you as well.      V-DUB-YA

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/11/03 at 16:38:26
Quote Print Post  
Larry,

As much as I want to joke with ya, I have to say that I very happy you are still here to tell us the story and was smart enough to be out with a lifejacket.

Chris

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/11/03 at 18:36:25
Quote Print Post  
Not much I can add to Larry's post, it was a great trip and the weather treated us real well - pity the fish didn't co-operate.

As for the accident, the strangest thing was that all day up to then (like most of us) Larry removed his PFD as soon as he killed the Big Motor. This time however, he unclipped the kill switch and went up front to drop the trolling motor still wearing his PFD. Kinda SPOOKY huh??

Also, as much as I appreciate your thanks guys, Larry did most of the work getting himself out of the water, I'm just glad I was able to help in any way. It really brings home the need to be extra cautious and very organized when fishing alone, something a lot of us do pretty often. Perhaps a knotted rope with a loop for a foothold secured to one of the rear cleats at all times when fishing alone?

Finally, after warming up and getting a fresh change of clothes, we were able to look back and laugh at the incident, at that point Larry asked me "Why didn't you get a picture of me in the water?", Can you imagine what he would have done to me at the time if instead of offering help I had said "Hold still a minute Larry while I find a camera and get a picture of you suffering"!!

All things said, THANKS Larry for the invite - the company was good, the Bacon Walleye Burgers were excellent!! I'd do it again any time I can.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/12/03 at 02:28:37
Quote Print Post  
As they say..." Fishing should be as if you were a fish.....always in School!" I am all for learning but .....I have to draw the line!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo