Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fizzing fish (Read 10388 times)
Ripalip
Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Fizzing fish
Reply #15 - 10/30/08 at 16:25:52
Quote Print Post  
The photo that Bass aholic has posted is one of the best photos I have seen. If you print out the photo and then compare the photo to a fish when you are getting ready to fizz. It will all come together.

You are basically putting the needle between the roof of the mouth and the bottom of there mouth. You don’t want to be in the roof of the mouth and you don’t want to be in the bottom of the mouth you want to be in middle. This is were most people go wrong and hit the roof of the mouth or the bottom and get bleeding. After you do it the first time you will never go back to doing it through the side

Thayne

IP Logged

Ripalip
Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - 10/30/08 at 16:39:28
Quote Print Post  
Rev

That is a great photo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you can see that you want to be in the middle of the mouth and not in the roof or the bottom of the mouth.

As for a needle you will notice that most needles you buy are short. I will bring one of my needles at the next meeting I will also have them at the frostbite if anyone wants to see how to make the needle longer to make it a lot easier to go through the mouth.

Thayne

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #17 - 10/30/08 at 18:41:05
Quote Print Post  
Definetly want to see that Thayne at the Frostbite.   Wink

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #18 - 10/31/08 at 15:59:38
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the link Chuck.  Good picture.

However, if you read the post, I highly disagree with the 5 "suggestions" listed.  If combined together, you will certainly kill your fish.   Why?  The use of an oxygen system along with livewell additives will create Hydrogen Chloride - a highly corrosive and dangerous gas.  It will outright kill your fish.

The post also recommends constantly circulating fresh water into your livewell.  Again, a bad practice, particularly in the southern climates where water temps soar into the 80's and 90's.  Fortunately, we don't have to worry about it too much here, but anytime that water temp gets around 70 or above, you need to flip that livewell over to "recirculate" and leave it there.  Put in ice every hour or so to keep it about 10 degrees below the surface temp of the lake (a floating pool thermometer works great for this).  Keep the aerator "on"  in order to add oxygen to the water.

Finally, use "Catch and Release" formula.  It kills a whole array of viruses and bacteria, has the right amount of sodium already in it, relaxes the fish, and removes chlorine often found in ice water.

Note that it takes A LOT of ice to cool a livewell!  It's not uncommon to use 10-20lbs of ice during the course of a tournament during the hot summer months.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 11/03/08 at 18:21:46
Quote Print Post  
I too suffered the effects of a plugged needle this weekend.  Caught a good smallie and couldn't get it to fizz, waited another 5mins and tried again, no luck, finally decided to check the needle and sure enough it was pluged from the fish I had previosly had fizzed.  Cleared out the hypodermic and instant fizzing took place on the 3rd attempt.  The fish lived happily ever after, only to marry a toad and have malformed children.

Mark

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #20 - 11/03/08 at 19:36:42
Quote Print Post  
I fizzed four fish.....three good, one bad but I suspect the bad one had been gutshot also.
Had pushed the needle too low on the mouth approach and had instant arterial bleeding  Angry

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 11/10/08 at 20:35:38
Quote Print Post  
Did anyone try putting a pinch of "please release me" on the bleeders? I believe it supposedly has coagulant properties, I've used it on fish where the hook nicked the gills or those where they almost swallowed the hook, and they were bleeding pretty quick. It seemed to help and the fish survived.

IP Logged

The Weedwalker
WBC Member

Here fishy, fishy..........

Reply #22 - 11/10/08 at 22:04:54
Quote Print Post  
Great photo's!! I too am looking forward to being able to apply this info. Smiley

Brian Walker (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 11/29/08 at 03:11:14
Quote Print Post  
fizzed a few fish on wa today  Wink with the throat method.  super easy!  just went straight in just above the throat and it worked like a dream. 

troy

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo