Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fizzing fish (Read 10380 times)
BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Fizzing fish
10/29/08 at 00:16:38
Quote Print Post  
Found this on the Bass website thought it was a good time to share it.
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/columns/story?page=b_col_bt_1106_f...

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Re: Fizzing fish
Reply #1 - 10/29/08 at 00:52:21
Quote Print Post  
great topic, It will be a must for those of us fishing the frostbite.  Just about every smallie from 25ft plus will be needing a "fizz"

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/29/08 at 02:02:47
Quote Print Post  
I want to try the "through the mouth" method.  It sucks to try to fizz a fish and see blood come out instead of air, cause that means you probably just killed the fish.

Anyone tried this thru the mouth?  Is it really easy?

Stu
« Last Edit: 10/29/08 at 04:47:22 by »  

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 10/29/08 at 04:20:06
Quote Print Post  
Through the mouth has its risks too. You could hit a main artery and kill the fish.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/29/08 at 15:52:32
Quote Print Post  
Good luck on the mouth technique. You don't even see the bladder thru the mouth of a smallie. I had over 10 fish that I fizzed last weekend and yes I missed the bladder a couple of times and my fish still lived. It takes some practice but you must do it in order to save your catch and be able to catch them at your next tourney.

All of our fish came out of 25 feet or better and had to be fizzed. Just make sure that you check your fish in the livewell so that they do not become floaters.

Russ

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/29/08 at 15:58:41
Quote Print Post  
Luckily, my boater for the Frostbite is a trained firefighter, rescuer and fish-fizzer.  I've never seen him miss a fizz.  Wink

Stu

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #6 - 10/29/08 at 17:05:20
Quote Print Post  
Thane was at the Auburn sports bass class he said no problem fizzing fish this way for him. Next meeting or fish in Thane might want to clue us in on this.  As for the skeptics I wonder why BASS with all its PROs input keeps turning out info that you seem to think is wrong.  Not bashing just asking I have never fizzed a fish so I cant say much.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/29/08 at 17:35:52
Quote Print Post  
Stu,

Just make sure your partner is a Trained Time Keeper Wink Wink

Russ

IP Logged

Ripalip
Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - 10/29/08 at 18:38:15
Quote Print Post  
I have fizzed fish both ways and learned from a biologist about 5 years ago at a tournament how to fizz fish through the mouth. Once you know the spot it takes no time at all.

As for hurting the fish I do a lot of deep water winter fishing and I have not had a fish die from fizzing through the mouth that I know of.

Fizzing through the mouth takes less time and you don’t have to take any of the slime off of the fish by laying it on the floor of your boat this is the main reason the biologist did it through the mouth and the margin of error is less beacuse you are in a smaller area trying to find the bladder.

If anyone wants to learn how to do this at the frostbite I would be more than willing to show you.

Thayne Hatch

IP Logged

WCCT
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/29/08 at 20:34:44
Quote Print Post  
We had to fizz every fish last weekend also.  At first we couldn't figure out why these dang fish weren't fizzing, but then after several holes and no air release, we realized we were given a bad fizzing needle.  It didn't have a hole in it Grin  Luckily all fish survived the ordeal.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/29/08 at 21:59:51
Quote Print Post  
WCCT,

It sounds as though you and your partner were doing the Hokey Pokey!!

Russ

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/29/08 at 23:54:20
Quote Print Post  
Thane - i would definately like to know how to do that through the mouth.  I have no problem through the side, just seems this is a bit less stressful on the fish.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/30/08 at 01:12:50
Quote Print Post  
I too would love to find out how to fizz thru the mouth so I don't end up doing the Hokey Pokey. Yes I missed several attempts and had some slight bleeding issues with my fish. I hate missing the bladder since it is not an exact science unless your an emt like Larry is who could find it in a heart beat.

Sure I have looked at pictures of where to probe but those aren't always accurate.

Let the class begin.

Russ

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/30/08 at 16:01:56
Quote Print Post  
For a more accurate picture of where to stick the needle in the mouth check out this site...

http://www.azbasszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45128

IP Logged

dilbert
Forum Member

Reply #14 - 10/30/08 at 16:16:26
Quote Print Post  
Is there any difference in needle placement, for either technique, between Largemouth Bass and Smallmouth Bass?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo