Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Waders and float tubes (Read 8259 times)
Bass In Ya Fass
Forum Member

Insert picture of large
bass here...someday.

Waders and float tubes
12/29/08 at 01:37:56
Quote Print Post  
Hey guys and gals,
My wife bought me a decent float tube for christmas and I know I need to get some waders too.  Being as I have never bought a pair of waders before, I really don't know what to get.  Should I just get stocking foot or will boot foot strap on to the flippers.  I think I've determined that I want a reasonable set of breathable chest waders, but the choice of the foot I am unsure of.  Can anybody help me out with this?

Thanks!

-Matt Clark

Sponsorships:&&Uh....Just me!
IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Re: Waders and float tubes
Reply #1 - 12/29/08 at 05:17:22
Quote Print Post  
I have a set of Neoprene waders, Hodgeman seem to be the most popular brand that I know of.  I have a XL set I need to sell, but I know they aren't big enough for you.  I think I use 3XL because of my height.  Mine are stocking foot.  You then would need a pair of wading shoes, or buy a pair of cheap shoes that are maybe 2 sizes too big, and they should slip over the waders fine.  Do you have kick fins yet ?  Caddis fins are good, and I found a pair in my garage that have straps instead of shoe sting laces and I think those are best (though I've used shoe string type fins for years with no issues).

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Bass In Ya Fass
Forum Member

Insert picture of large
bass here...someday.

Reply #2 - 12/29/08 at 06:03:49
Quote Print Post  
Really, XL won't fit?  So, are they generally made a little too short?  I am 6' and I think you might be a tad taller than me...honestly haven't paid that close of attention so I am attemtping a good guess.  That said I am definitely more heavy set than you so I'm not sure how they size them but maybe 3xl wouldn't even be big enough...could just go down to Joes and try some on I suppose.  I thought that the lightweight breathable waders were the best, but you read online that some folks prefer neoprine too.  No rush i suppose since I really won't be using them until spring probably, so at least I have time to get it right.  Thanks for your help Chris! 

-Matt

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #3 - 12/29/08 at 15:38:21
Quote Print Post  
I would go down and try some on.  I don't think XL will be big enough for you, in the brand I own anyway.  I have a pair of think rubber waders, and in cold water they aren't very warm.  I think neoprene is the way to go.  If you take good care of them, they won't be leaking any time soon.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/29/08 at 16:20:43
Quote Print Post  
Hi Matt,

I definitely would not get waders with the boot built in. They are heavy and tend to leak more.

I use waders a lot for work and a lot for play. Even though neoprenes are pretty nice on a cold day, I tend to sweat a lot because they are too warm, and it becomes uncomfortable to sweat under your waders. You'll actually get colder on a moderate temperature day. Don't even consider rubber waders unless you are on a strict budget and just want to get on the water. I prefer lightweight breathables for any type of weather and layering appropriately underneath them. For an affordable pair, it is hard to beat Hodgman wadelite or guidelite waders for around $100-$110. Those will be at most outdoor stores. I don't know where you live, but Joe's, Sportco, and Outdoor Emporium have decent selections. No need to drop two or three hundy on a high-end pair unless you plan on beating through brush all the time. It sounds to me like XL will fit you fine, but loike you said you should just try some on before you buy...

If you go with the lightweight route, do yourself a favor and pick up some nice fleece pants for cold water days. You won't need them in the summer, but they will be nice in spring and fall. REI has a nice heavyweight pair of fleece pants for $40-$50. They will be nice to wear until the water gets into the high 60s, low 70s.

IP Logged

Bass In Ya Fass
Forum Member

Insert picture of large
bass here...someday.

Reply #5 - 12/29/08 at 17:31:10
Quote Print Post  
Great info Sarge, thank you!  The wife got me a Cabelas gift card too, so I'll try them on at Joe's and buy 'em at Cabelas online it seems.  Again, thank you for your help!  Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

b_olson
Forum Member

Reply #6 - 12/30/08 at 03:43:14
Quote Print Post  
mat you need to get hodgman neoprene chest waders and hodgman also makes boots. also when you pick out your fins, bigger fins make you go faster and they help a lot on those windy days.

IP Logged

Bass In Ya Fass
Forum Member

Insert picture of large
bass here...someday.

Reply #7 - 12/30/08 at 22:01:43
Quote Print Post  
I ended up ordering some breathable waders on cabelas and the float tube came with some fins.  That said the fins don't impress me so maybe I should upgrade.  They are lighweight Caddis fins that are made of a pretty hard thin plastic...seems like if I kick to hard they could snap.  I saw some at Joe's that were about $35 that seemed like a step up so I may go get them if these don't perform.  Thanks for the advice on the neoprene waders, but after all the research and info from WBC members, it seemd like the lightweight breathables were a better option for my use.  I suppose if I regret the decision at least I only spent around $100 right?  Thanks again!

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #8 - 12/30/08 at 22:40:15
Quote Print Post  
Sounds good Matt.  As long as you stay warm, thats what counts.  If you don't stay warm, you'll be done in an hour, and possibly stuck on the lack with numb legs.  Let me know how it goes in the spring.  I think the club will be float tube friendly next year too  Smiley

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/31/08 at 00:16:49
Quote Print Post  
Hey - we should have a float tube fish-in! Any takers?

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #10 - 12/31/08 at 00:46:04
Quote Print Post  
A few of us had one in 2008, just not many people knew about it.  We'll do a Fish-In next year Sarge  Wink

IP Logged

b_olson
Forum Member

Reply #11 - 12/31/08 at 05:11:47
Quote Print Post  
fish-in in the old tube, wow. i have not used my in like 13 years. one of the last times i used it the seat ripped and i used spider wire to sew it up. i dont know if i could fit in it anymore.

IP Logged

Bass In Ya Fass
Forum Member

Insert picture of large
bass here...someday.

Reply #12 - 01/02/09 at 18:35:30
Quote Print Post  
I guess it would come as no surprise if I said I was in!  No real boat yet, so the tube and a 12' inflatable boat are all I have...I would definitely do a float tube fish in during just about any season!  I'll golf in just about anything, why not fish in it too right? 

Chris, the impression I got is that the breathables were a little more versatile since you could layer underneath them during the colder times and then just wear some shorts during spring and summer. 

Happy 2009 everybody! Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo