Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Used boat question. (Read 9148 times)
Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Used boat question.
Reply #30 - 12/03/06 at 07:26:50
Quote Print Post  
Don't forget our 10% comission   Wink

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 12/05/06 at 23:38:03
Quote Print Post  
How long ago was the trailer serviced, i.e. bearings,springs,etc. Have you peaked at the hull (underside) have you looked at the transom-this boat more than likely has wood in it or on it. If sitting outside was it covered? If it wasn't I would steer way clear due to rot in critical places.

Good Luck,
Russ

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 12/06/06 at 00:57:33
Quote Print Post  
Check with Nick Barr, he bought a used boat after the transom was checked and it still went bad.  Here's another one:

http://2006bassfishing.photosite.com/champion/

The guy wants $5000.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 12/06/06 at 01:07:03
Quote Print Post  
Fly,

Open the battery box and look at the transom. Does it appear to be dark in color-Brown/Black or dark green. Push on the back of the transom-does it feel soft, does it give. Another way to check is to loosen one bolt on the back of the transom where the motor is connected. Does water come out of the hole?

As far as covered-That concerns me as well. Why? Because condensation builds up tremendously when covered for that long creating moisture in all the boxes and places where you can't immediately see with the naked eye. Especially if it has been covered and parked outside.

I will give you a scenario that might surprise some but not all.

I had a 180 Super Pro Procraft for about 10 years that I sold to Dave Jarrel a club member back in 2000. After he bought it he put a jack plate on it. When he was installing the plate, he noticed water coming out of the bolt holes. He told me about this as I was totally unaware of the wet transom issue. He used the boat-correct me if I am wrong for about 4-1/2 years until he had a large wave hit the boat at Banks lake that cracked the transom right down the middle.

He just sold the boat to a couple of buddies of mine in the boat business who are going to completely strip the boat and refurbish it from top to bottom.

Now here comes the good part of the story:

About three weeks ago I got to see what this boat looked like from the inside out. Meaning they took the top portion of the boat off and removed it. Guess what I saw in absolute amazement? Mold, rotten wood, wood chips, molded foam in pieces,etc., the boat was vertually disentegrating from within.

So all I can say is buyer beware. I now get weary about guys looking at boats that are pre-96 and older due to these issues.

Save the money for a newer boat, one that is made up of composite materials instead of wood. You will not regret it due to the fact that you will save a ton of money in the long run. I personally have had 4 boats in the last 18 years and can honestly say with experience that when you buy that older boat that more than likely you will turn around and sell it to get the boat of your dreams.

Good Luck,
Russ

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 12/06/06 at 01:15:16
Quote Print Post  
Reading those kinds of stories, glad I bought the boat I did.  Smiley

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 12/06/06 at 02:11:24
Quote Print Post  
One word to get away from transom rot Fly "Alluminum". It's makes it easier plus they're good starter boats. Big thing I'm findin out about is motor maintnace. Other than that my boat works fine for me.

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 12/06/06 at 03:08:22
Quote Print Post  
I bought a 1983 skeeter earlier this summer, It had only been sitting for 3 months cause the guy got a champion. I even took it to a marina in Portland and they said it was FINE,they drilled small holes for samples of the wood and came out fine. I went out 6 times after, got on plane and punched it and it started poirposing, tried everytig it wouldnt stop. I looked back and saw my transom staring to flex a little bit. Then got off the water, put my weight on the engine and transom and it had  a small crack in the splashwell and the transom felt soft. I looked in the corner of the battery box and there was a crack I just put in the battery comp. also. I spent half my summer reworking that boat just to get to fish by the end of the summer and start of fall and now its sitting in my yard, trying to get rid of it.

I have heard different brands converted to composite at dif. times, Here is what I heard from people

Ranger 1989
Skeeter 1992
Champion 1989

Check firs and see if there is wood in the transom, just pull a transducer screw and pry around a little bit with your eye.

« Last Edit: 12/06/06 at 05:03:38 by »  

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 12/06/06 at 03:20:48
Quote Print Post  
I will say it one more time "Alluminum". I guess I'm just tired of having the slowest boat in the club.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 12/06/06 at 03:27:56
Quote Print Post  
Nick,

Don't forget those rivets and welds have a tendency to leak.

Russ

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 12/06/06 at 03:40:28
Quote Print Post  
Easy fix Russ, Nothin like a good Bilge Pump and a rusty old foldgers can to fix that problem. All playing aside, Tracker started welding their boats in 1995. So Fly if your willing to spend around 6,000 you can find a good welded tracker.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo