Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rev Rig?? (Read 4117 times)
Hawkeye
Ex Member

Rev Rig??
12/04/06 at 17:26:16
Quote Print Post  
I have heard the technique of "Rev Rigging" mentioned many times in this forum. For us "newbies" what is it and how do you fish it??

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Re: Rev Rig??
Reply #1 - 12/04/06 at 17:39:13
Quote Print Post  
Well, it is a three way swivel, anywhere from 2 to 5ft leader to a 2oz weight at the bottom.  From the third swivel, attach a leader of 2 to 5ft in legnth and experiment with your favorite shallow running crankbait.  I have used jointed rapala's, jointed shad raps, straight rapala's, Poe's super cedar 100's, and numerous other shallow running cranks.

Mark

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/04/06 at 17:41:47
Quote Print Post  
Mark failed to mention that the average fish that takes this rig is normally around 4+ lbs. I can't begin to count how many 4's,5's, and 6's smallies I have caught this way in the last 10 years.

Its essentially trolling if thats your thing.
Russ

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/04/06 at 18:14:01
Quote Print Post  
I can begin to count how many 6 pound smallies I have caught in the past 28 years. Zero.  Tongue

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/04/06 at 18:16:07
Quote Print Post  
Sarge,

You need to get a boat so you can go to out to Lake WA and catch some of these beauties on the Rev Rig?
Russ

IP Logged

WCCT
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/05/06 at 16:29:11
Quote Print Post  
What kind of tackle are you guys throwing this rig on?  I think I am going to get out this winter and give it a shot.  I don't think I have ever fished for smallies in December or January before, at least I have never caught one.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/05/06 at 16:45:53
Quote Print Post  
I use braid for the main line and down to the weight.  I use it mainly for the stregnth.  Nothing like pulling out your hung lure / weight and getting it back.  Cheesy  As for leader I use mono, around 14lb test.  That has enough strength to pull it out of most wood you run into in Washington.  I use a 7ft Berkley lighting rod in med/heavy action.  Its fairly soft and flexible for a med/heavey rod.  Enough give that I haven't pulled to many lures out of a smallies mouth.  Most of the time the smallies just crush the thing and I haven't lost to many fish when I have hooked up.  Also, when you catch the fish, be sure to quickly get the fish back into the water.  Reduces the need to fizz the fish.  I have yet to lose a fish to air bladder problems while rev rigging.

Mark

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/05/06 at 20:06:50
Quote Print Post  
I agree with Mark a good flexible rod like fiberglass is perfect for this rig. I also use a 7 footer, but I use mono instead with a flourocarbon leader. That way you feel the fish load up on the rod and not jerk it out of their mouths as you can possibly do with graphite.

The first time I used this rig was on Merdian I caught 2 fish on back to back casts-a 5.10 and a 4-3/4lb smallie. I personally have never had them slam the rig. Its been like a mushy bite as the rod loads up and the fish is just there.

Its a neat way to fish on those slow days and I have never stuck anything under 4lbs with this rig. I use both stick baits like the rapala's and crankbaits. The nice thing about the rig is it works for both slow and fast retrieves.

I just don't utilize it during a tourney because its like your trolling more with it than just reeling it in slowly.

Try it out-It works.
Russ

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/05/06 at 23:55:14
Quote Print Post  
i have always wondered how fast you guys goin when doing this and are ya using tm or outboard?

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/06/06 at 00:05:10
Quote Print Post  
Troy,

Trolling motor.
Russ

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/06/06 at 01:28:03
Quote Print Post  
Troy,
  I know The Rev and Larry G. go pretty fast, I am slower than them.  The key is to experiment with speed, actions, and lures sizes.  Some days a slow, wide wobble, other days a fast , tight jointed shad rap.  Just got to keep changing up to find what they want on that particular day.

Mark

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/06/06 at 04:58:57
Quote Print Post  
thanks fellas.  i need to get out soon maybe this weekend on wa

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo