Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Used boat question. (Read 9152 times)
Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Used boat question.
Reply #15 - 09/21/06 at 22:03:14
Quote Print Post  
I've seen others start hard. Mine was pretty darn good though. I would bet with a good set of plugs and new fuel pump that it would start fine.

IP Logged

Justin
Forum Member

"I caught you a delicious
bass'

Reply #16 - 09/29/06 at 18:52:12
Quote Print Post  
I talked to the guy again yesterday regarding the boat.
Since it is not running I told him I wanted it all check out etc.

He bought two new trailer tires since i last talked to him.
He said even if he gets a compression test it will read low because it has been sitting for two years.
He also said that he tried turning some electrical things on and one panel didnt work. He said the bilge did not work and the end of the wires may be corrodid so he was going to scratch the ends to see if they would work.
He didnt try to electric motor.

He is in a delima of what to do. He wants to sell it but he doesnt want to put $400 into it to work if he is not going to use it.

So I still dont know what to think. Should I stay away totally since the wire ends were corroded? I will hear next when he figures out the state of the wiring.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 09/29/06 at 19:49:50
Quote Print Post  
I would say YES........I believe you have just touched the tip of that ice berg! If it does not sell in a month...offer him a lower price but I think you are looking at a money pit!
My .02 cents

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/29/06 at 20:44:05
Quote Print Post  
Be afraid, be very afraid...

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 09/29/06 at 22:48:25
Quote Print Post  
I knew a Boeing guy that had a boat like that.  Don't know if its the same one but it was in decent shape 10 years ago.  I have worked on my nephews Nitro that was out at the coast unused for a while.  It took a little TLC but runs pretty good now.  Is the seller African/American?  Just wondering if its the same guy I knew.  I have seen the boat on Craig's List and also another one just like it with a price way too high.

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #20 - 09/30/06 at 00:04:34
Quote Print Post  
Hey there "flynearful",
  I think we are all making a mountain out of a molehill here.  You should take five minutes and get on line to some of the area used boat dealers and look at what $3500 buys you!  A 150 Black Max values at $3500 alone!  The paint looks good in the pics, it has a trolling motor, axle that rolls and a prop.  Seats, rod lockers, graph and wiring are bonuses.  Even if you put a grand more into it, that makes a good 50+ mph bass boat (Mack, I doubt it went 65 to 67 MPH)  for less than 5 grand.  Go buy the stupid thing and get to work!  Then, go fishing and enjoy it!  MY .02!!!!!!!!11

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Ray
Forum Member

Reply #21 - 10/03/06 at 00:29:44
Quote Print Post  
I just bought a used boat this summer.  My rule was that I would not buy a boat that I could not test drive and fish out of.   I passed on a couple that I couldn't drive and ruled out a couple after driving/fishing them.  I also bought a compression tester and tested every motor.  It's not hard and the tester I bought was only $30.00.  Cheap but it did the job. 
Also,  one of the first things I did was replace the water pump.
The entire process took me 2 months and two trips to Portland and one to Cle Elum.  Be picky and patient!
Ray

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 11/02/06 at 04:32:34
Quote Print Post  
Saw this boat on Craig's List may not be a bad investment if you haven't already bought one. 
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/228664999.html

IP Logged

Justin
Forum Member

"I caught you a delicious
bass'

Reply #23 - 11/23/06 at 08:07:00
Quote Print Post  
So I am weighing options again on weither to buy a boat or not.

-Will I use it enough?
-is it going to be trustworthy?
The seller said he just got it all checked out from a dealer.

My question now is why do bass magazines not write about used boats? I want to see some articles on picking out used boats and what to look for etc.
They just have nice brand new top of the line bass boats advertised and do not write or give information for the used boat buyer.

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #24 - 11/23/06 at 17:32:26
Quote Print Post  
Hey "flynearful",
 If you want a "real world" version of used boat remarks and comments, I think your best bet is right here.  Between the 100+ members of WBC, I bet we've owned every boat known to man.  Aluminum boats- look for cracks around rivets, on or around the transom and so on, especially TRACKER boats.  As far as fiberglass boats go, rotted transoms are probably the most common and expensive unforeseen issues when buying a used boat.  Stress cracks around transoms and consoles are not that uncommon and it's usual not hard to tell whether or not they are structural.  If you find one you like, put it up on this website and I'm certain you'll get responses and opinions.  I acquired an 88' 17' Ranger that, in the day, was nearly bulletproof from another "clubber".  I'll keep it until it falls apart or my 13 year old son can pull it with his own truck.  My guess, my son will own it until it falls apart too.  How long will that be?  Don't hold your breath.                                HAPPY THANKGIVING WBC from Ron, Shanne and "the kids"!

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 12/01/06 at 19:40:41
Quote Print Post  
Fly,,
You should take a good look at the Madero's Cobra currently for sale.
Russ

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 12/02/06 at 19:13:49
Quote Print Post  
Its in the for sale or trade section.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 12/02/06 at 20:49:18
Quote Print Post  

It is similar to this

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 12/03/06 at 01:41:43
Quote Print Post  
Fly,

Here's Marks Boat

My 2003 Cobra bass boat is up for sale:

18ft dual console
150hp Mercury Optimax with smart craft display
Lowrance LMS 320 / gps at console w/ RAM mount
Hummingbird 565 at the bow
Minnkota 65 lb thrust trolling motor
3 bank charger w/ two new trolling moter batteries
fully carpeted storage lockers
swing away toungue
This boat has NO wood in it.  Fully composite hull and cap means no rotting wood.
Deluxe waterproof boat cover  
Always garaged

The first $17250 takes her away!

Mark   206 719 6111

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 12/03/06 at 02:10:38
Quote Print Post  
I just love my sales staff!  They are so hard working  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo