Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Swim Baits (Read 5717 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

Swim Baits
06/21/05 at 20:09:20
Quote Print Post  
Is anyone throwing these baits? I spoke to a guy the other day who took a 6+ Smallie out of Roosevelt on one. I have thrown them in Morton and Sawyer with no success, but was wondering if anyone was doing anything with them.
Russ

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Re: Swim Baits
Reply #1 - 06/21/05 at 22:58:12
Quote Print Post  
I will be throwing them at Riffe.  I mean what the hell, nothing else works on that lake.  Might as well elliminate another lure for there also.   ???

mark

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/21/05 at 23:05:54
Quote Print Post  
Mark,

Good point. You never know. Maybe a silver or two will hit that thing.
Russ

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/22/05 at 01:57:58
Quote Print Post  
So, for the "uninitiated", could someone provide a brief explanation as to what a swim bait is and how it is fished? ???

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/22/05 at 05:15:51
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
So, for the "uninitiated", could someone provide a brief explanation as to what a swim bait is and how it is fished? ???

I'm wondering too.  Are you saying swim bait like Nick, the storm wildeye's??  When I read Swimbait, I think Castaic lures  Tongue

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/22/05 at 14:13:44
Quote Print Post  
Swimbait are your large  6" to 12" long plastic baits that resemeble trout.  They were originally made in So Cal by guys fishing the San Diego impoundments for Large bass.  Can you say 60lb stringer for 5 bass.....  Alot of guys down there can.  Over the years many variations have come and gone.  Some with hard plastic nose and diving bills and a soft plastic body.  Some that have lead head jig built in , some are homemade from rapala bodies.  Caistaic is the biggest produces.  I recently did buy some for fishing at clear lake.  6" long by storm and 8" by panther martin and yes I am going to try them at Riffe.

Mark

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/22/05 at 16:14:05
Quote Print Post  
Yeah me too....I'm hoping I can hit a large smallie with one when I heave that sucker out there. Best chance of caching one with it... Tongue
« Last Edit: 06/30/05 at 04:49:40 by »  

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/22/05 at 17:56:08
Quote Print Post  
Ah yes, I saw a show some time ago where a guy was using home-made soft plastic rainbow trout immitations (about 12" long, if I remember correctly) and catching huge largemouths at some lake in California.  Those must be swim baits. 8)

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/28/05 at 23:28:02
Quote Print Post  
Yeah I just want to give a shout out there to Rob the SWIM BAIT KING!!!! Nice fish dude! Grin

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #9 - 06/29/05 at 03:36:12
Quote Print Post  
Rob,

Wow! I never thought those swim baits would work up here. I just odered one of each of 7 colors of Castaic 10" swim baits from tacklewarehouse.com. They were $13.99 each, but if they work that well, I think it will be worth it.

Here is the link to the site: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/swimbaits.html

Thanks!
Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/30/05 at 04:47:42
Quote Print Post  
Stu you can get these baits a lot cheaper if you look around. Then you alter them slighty yourself to get better action. Trim the area between the body and tail with a knife to get the desired action. It should make the tail dance more...fish on!

IP Logged

Harley
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/02/05 at 05:20:40
Quote Print Post  
Hey'  Russ thats we used at Clear Lake the last Day and did real well with them.  Our Pre- fish we caught fish every day over 8 lb's with them.. Since we have got back my buddy Mark has been throwing them and catching fish up  here. 5 to 8 fish a day in the 3 to 5lb range and loveing it.  We fished with the mission fish in the shad color the 6" size the web site is www.316lurecompany.com ; Up here he's fishin the trout color and the Ayu color .  Call me, you have the number.  Let the fish load up the rod before setting the hook it takes two or three hits most the time before they have it,   good luck.  These things will make on hell of a Musky bait like I told Mark Wells.  Good luck and tight lines. Grin Grin
Harley

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #12 - 07/05/05 at 03:00:17
Quote Print Post  
Rob,

I have to confess that I didn't actually order the swim baits. I might try some someday, but for now I am thinking grubs might be a good idea. 8)

Thanks,
Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/05/05 at 04:32:37
Quote Print Post  
Check here for an example of a swimbait. http://www.mattlures.com/aboutus.htm
They have a bluegill shown, but there's a "baby bass" and a Crappie. I think a 5" or 6" grub rigged on a ballhead jig will do just fine, if you pick the right color. I've used a 5" Kalin in Rainbow with success. Throw it out, reel it back, mostly. There's a good article on Swimbaits in the  April/May '04 Bass West. A big tube bait is another alternative. 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo