Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Working on hard baits this year - help needed (Read 7929 times)
Stu
Ex Member

Working on hard baits this year - help needed
04/09/09 at 04:28:14
Quote Print Post  
I have decided to work on hard baits this year.  I have the plastics that i like to throw figured out, as well as the spinnerbaits I like.

What I would like is advice on what cranks, etc. people like and why.

When I open the new Bass Pro Shops catalog, a lot of those cranks, slashbaits and traps, etc look an awful lot alike.  i don't want to buy everything they have to try them out, so I am hoping to use some of your suggestions to narrow down which to try first.

For example, I know the Lucky Crafts are supposed to be awesome, but is it worth paying $15 - $20 or have you had good luck with the Bass Pro/XPS, etc for $4 - $7?   I could buy a lot more baits at those prices...  What about Rapalas?

I have intentionally ignored the crankbaits because I figured collecting a decent selection would cost a ton - and I haven't taken the time on the boat to really work on them (and when I do get out, it's normally a tourney or fish-in, so I am trying to make sure to use what I know to get fish in the boat)  Noted that I didn't fish much at all last year. Embarrassed

I've got the new trolling motor wired up and am ready to get better by spending more time on the water this year.

Stu

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Re: Working on hard baits this year - help needed
Reply #1 - 04/09/09 at 06:03:47
Quote Print Post  
I like using Norman Lures suspended crankbaits when cranking deeper than 10ft.  For shallow crankbaits, I like using Lucky Crafts RC 1.5.  I just bought the bigger RC 2.5 and look forward to using it later this year.  One thing I always do is replace the front hooks with red gamakatsu hooks.  Crankbait selection could be intimidating, but stick with the basics when it comes to color selection.  Since we have a lot of bluegill and perch in our area, I like using firetiger.  Deeper crankbaits in craw patterns work great too. 

The jerkbaits that I use are the Rapala Xrap in both perch and trout colors. 

Use these during the prespawn and spawn and you'll have full confidence in hard baits.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/09/09 at 15:16:43
Quote Print Post  
Stu,

I personally have had much success with the Bandit 200 + 300 series in crawfish patterns as well as Strike Kings medium to deep divers. You dont have to spend $15 bucks to get a good crankbait. The colors you mostly want to throw around here are spring craw,red craw, ghost minnow, and chartreuse/black back or chartreuse/blue back. Thats all I throw and all i need. I catch 95% of my fish on the craw patterns.

Russ

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/09/09 at 15:51:58
Quote Print Post  
Stu,

I'll put a second vote in for Bandit crankbaits. I know Kirk would throw in a third vote, too.

For shallow runners, I really love Luhr-Jensen Speed Traps.

I think Luckycrafts are worth the price for jerkbaits, but I haven't tried any of their other models, just the staysee and pointers.

Chris

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/09/09 at 16:30:57
Quote Print Post  
I'll 2nd Sarges suggestion about the pointers and staysees. I have caught a ton of fish on those at Banks & Roosevelt and they are worth every penny.

Russ

IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

I fish because the voices
in my head tell me to!

Reply #5 - 04/09/09 at 16:36:39
Quote Print Post  
I use a lot of Rapala's and Bomber's crankbaits and have had good success.  For rattlin baits, I use the red eye shad.  I've had good luck with the same color patterns as basspro in crankbaits but I've also found on heavily pressured water, when using a rattle bait,  a chrome w/ blue back and chrome w/ black back sometimes gets me more bites that the color of the forage fish.  Can't explain why, other than it is different, but it seems to work for me.

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

I fish because the voices
in my head tell me to!

Reply #6 - 04/09/09 at 16:38:32
Quote Print Post  
Sorry, I typed too fats for my thoughts, the chrome baits I use are the Bill Lewis original rat-l-traps, so I keep a few of those on hand, the rest are red eye shad's.

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #7 - 04/10/09 at 04:09:55
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for your advice guys.  I'll print this out and take it with me when I make my first major shopping run.

The rest of you guys, please feel free to add your comments, as well.

Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #8 - 04/10/09 at 04:29:01
Quote Print Post  
I don't fish crankbaits enough, I will this year.  I used to use a crawfish speed trap every trip out, very good baits.  Lucky Craft pointers are good, Lucky Craft RC's for shallow water are excellent, and I just picked up my first Staysee. 

Let us know what you pick up Stu.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/11/09 at 01:55:33
Quote Print Post  
I fish a lot of hard jerk baits for post spawn and summer pattern smallies.  Two years ago I used a fair amount of Lucky Craft baits and good success.  Late in that year I got some Ima flits.  Since then I have not used my Lucky Crafts as much.. if at all.  Love the Imas and have bagged smallies over 5 and largies over 6 using them.  I do not fish many cranks, but do on occasion throw Jackall's MR jointed crank.  I like it because it is something different and pretty obnoxious.  Ima Roumbas made me a believer too in the last year.  You don't have to retrieve the line much to illicit good movement.  The Imas come already made with very good hardware and VERY needly share hooks.  I have not been disappointed with any of Ima's products so far.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #10 - 04/12/09 at 21:57:24
Quote Print Post  
Hey Stu...You know me...dont use hard baits nearly as much as I should....got to use them in Kentucky and man....color does make a big difference!!! you would think it would just be the reaction bite but if you were off color you would get short strikes or no strikes but if your partner was on....100% difference....I was using a red/ brown craw medium diver and got three right away on Tuesday and my partner was using a perch pattern....then a shiner pattern....on his first cast with a craw pattern BOOM!! 1-1/2 lber! didnt matter it was a different brand but same color/depth...banged off the rocks would catch fish!
Will see me using cranks alot more!!!!.
We both got 12-13 fish that day even with a dead battery trolling motor!!

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/16/09 at 01:26:30
Quote Print Post  
Stu, you know me.  I'd rather use a crankbait more than any other bait!  I'm working on some articles for a website that I'm kicking around making - if you want I could send some to you to read. 

As to the brand names - I'm big on Rapala Shad Raps, (caught hundreds of smallies), X-Raps, and Fat Free Shads (deep divers) - but if they aren;t available I'll use most any brand and fish it with confidence.

The truth is this: It costs a fortune to create a mold to produce a plastic crankbait or tool up to make a wood one - and no one now a days is going to spend all that money in such a competitive market if it wasn't first tested and it caught fish.  What I'm trying to say is, almost, (I repeat - almost) all cranks will catch fish - and I recommend you spend more time learning techniques etc.. rather than wondering if you have the right crankbait brands.  Most brands survive today because they catch fish when used properly.  In other words, if you can't catch fish on a 4-6 dollar crank, the 15-30 dollar crank isn't going to bail you out.  I believe that if you have confidence in crankbaits, and are well versed as to "where" and "when" and "how" to throw them, you can use use baits from any of your fishing buddy's tackle boxes and catch fish, even if they aren't your preferred brand.

A lot of good name brands have been mentioned above, and what makes them work is the CONFIDENCE the anglers have in them.  Pick a crankbait from any well established brand manufacturer, and fish it until you know everything it can and can't do.  Then you will have the confidence too.  Remember, stick to just a few basic colors - (natural colors) - and focus on having enough to cover all depth ranges.  Cranks generally move faster than most other techniques and the fish don't have a lot of time to judge the artistic qualities of the finish - if it looks like natural prey, and acts like natural prey - the fish is going to have to make a quick decision to strike or not.  And when it does - it's a blast.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/10/11 at 01:05:30
Quote Print Post  
Sorry Stu..little late on this one, but oh well. By now maybe you've bought a ton and liked them or still aren't throwing them much. Anyhow, I would start with a good decent crankbait like Excalibur, Norman or Strike King. All are good, run true, but aren't really expensive. Stick with basic colors at first. I really like bluegill, Perch and a black and white shad pattern. Most crankbait fish I have caught have been no deeper than about 8-10 ft, with most probably in the 4-6 range. I love running the squarebilled ones in shallow water. I always buy a crankbait by 3's. Well most of them, just in case you lose one that day the fish are really hammering them. Would suck not to have another. So start with a few of each depth range and go from there. After catching fish and building confidence, you can start expanding into more expensive baits.

The Rapala DT-18 series are really good if you want to go deep. There are also split cranks out there now that are jointed and make tons of noise in the water. Spring time is a good time to put the plastics down and start experimenting with the crank. You catch fish because its one of the best times of the year when the fish are up close to the shorlines down to about 10-12 feet with lots of cruisers to intercept with that crank. Good luck.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/10/11 at 18:17:56
Quote Print Post  
Stu,

Another good Brand/make is the Jackall Aragon in Spring Craw medium diver. Stuck 3 4+ smallies on this last weekend at Potholes. Its a jointed 2 piece crankbait that catches me a lot of fish.

Russ

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/10/11 at 19:32:12
Quote Print Post  
Those are the jointed ones I have also. 6 1/4 lb smallie Mark caught last year on the Columbia was on that crank.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo