Normal Topic Heavy Spinnerbaits for Smallmouth (Read 4430 times)
dgarrett
Ex Member

Heavy Spinnerbaits for Smallmouth
07/17/04 at 22:54:28
Quote Print Post  
I've fished spinnerbaits a lot for largemouth, and I love them as search baits, but I've never caught many smallmouth primarily because I wasn't fishing heavier spinnerbaits. I just bought a Terminator 1/2 ounce (I've heard Kirk mention these as his favorite bait), and was wondering if any of you have some tips for where and how to apply them. I'm fishing Tri-cities in a couple Northwest Bass tournaments this summer.....should I throw them? When go you guys have the best luck using spinnerbaits for smallies? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tight Lines,
Danny

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Heavy Spinnerbaits for Smallmouth
Reply #1 - 07/19/04 at 13:55:40
Quote Print Post  
I caught a lot of smallies on spinnerbaits this year for some reason. They kind of became my confidence bait. But I had more luck with them earlier in the year when the water was cooler. I think just because the fish are in areas that are easier to get to them. At Moses lake this weekend the water was like 83 deg and I had no luck with a spinnerbait. Columbia River waters usually tend to be a little cooler and may pay off with a blade. I found the post spawn period to be awesome. As for areas. Long tapering flats of rock are good. I found them really shallow in Wanapum. Start the bait and work it in water as shallow as you can. The turned up water that was muddier held good fish. I hope some of this helps. Hopefully Kirk responds to this. I know he likes blades too and should have some good info.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/19/04 at 14:30:07
Quote Print Post  
The 3/8 to 1/2 should work.  Especially if there is a bit of wind.  Tri-Cities in the summer may be a bit different.  The primary forage for the smallies is likely to be craws, but a spinnerbug would be on a line of mine.  What I find is that the blabe size is the key.  The bigger the better, in other words no blade is too big.  I have even gone so far as to modify a bait out of the package with a bigger willow leaf blade found in the junk isle at most stores.  Some of the baldes on "pop gear" used for trout are very effective.  Later in the summer, like now, I do prefer the standard stainless wire as opposed to the titanium wire.  Don't really know why, but I think more vibration occurs.  Sure the fish may tear them up a bit, but that's ok.  I would fish main channel man-made structure at Tri-Cities.  Sometimes the fish will stack up behind those huge timber moorage anchors.

Kirk

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/19/04 at 15:22:47
Quote Print Post  
Hhhmmmm...pop-gear blades Kirk?  How about them Ford Fender trolling blades?  Now that is huge!  LOL

Rich

IP Logged

RobAllen
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/30/04 at 06:58:25
Quote Print Post  
in the past i have been primarily a bank  fisherman  for Columbia river smallmouth but  from my limited experience i can suggest that when you  come upon a wind blown bank  the smallies  will be there  and love spinnerbaits, if  it's  really bright and sunny  try white painted blades!!  first thing in the morning during the  summer fish shallow parallel and with and  extremely close to the rip rap when the fish are on it  they want  it burnt through the water barely under the surface..

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #5 - 07/31/09 at 04:38:24
Quote Print Post  
I recently made me a new spinnerbait purchase in an effort to expand my fish catching skills.  I got me a 1 oz spinner bait with a #5 Gold Willowleaf blade.  It can be seen here, http://soblures.com/content/c14-whitten-special. ; My past experiance with heavy spinnerbaits for smallmouth have been with a 1/2 oz and have done well with it.  How many of you have fished a 1 ounce spinner bait and what have you learned about where and when to throw it?

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #6 - 07/31/09 at 05:04:34
Quote Print Post  
Holy old post Wink
I bet that spinnerbait will catch some fish, mark whitten is a basscat guy, name rings a bell.  I recently lost/broke a 1oz spinnerbait that I loved to fish.  They are awesome because they sink faster, stay down easier, and fish get to see a spinnerbait in depths they normally wouldn't see one.  I bought a bunch of SK kvd 1oz'rs a few years ago and hate them, the blades seem to foul easily.
The SB I recently lost I bought off the Gary Yamamoto site and I should buy a few more.  Last weekend I finally broke out my 1.25 oz terminator, I'll let you know how it works. 

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo