Normal Topic Storing Plastics (Read 3448 times)
Rich
Ex Member

Storing Plastics
04/17/04 at 04:36:09
Quote Print Post  
O.K.  I saw a bunch of youse guys buying mondo amounts of plastics from Jim at the swap meet.  Alright I got a few also.

But the question is (drum roll)  When you store your extra plastics, what do you use, if anything, on them?

Do you put in some fish oil scent or what?  Or do you store them dry?  In vacuum sealed packages?

HaHa, Jim  I beat you to THIS dumb question. j/k

Rich

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Storing Plastics
Reply #1 - 04/18/04 at 03:12:21
Quote Print Post  
In a cool dry place I would imagine as they are salt impregnated and might start breaking down if you oil them or scent them. Just a guess though.

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/20/04 at 18:33:31
Quote Print Post  
Rich,

Just one thing I thought I'd add....if you bought any of the new floating plastics (cyberflex)...make sure not to store them with the tradtional plastics....they react with one another and will make a mess! Other than that, as long as your plastics aren't sitting out in the sun all day, they'll last for years in their original bag...most of the scented plastics have such a high oil content they won't dry out regardless.

Danny Garrett

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/20/04 at 21:51:06
Quote Print Post  
RICH,  iF YOU BOUGHT SOME HAND POURED PLASTICS FROM JIM RUMANN AT THE SWAP.  WE ADD WORM OIL WITH NO SCENT.  THIS HELPS TO KEEP THEM A LITTLE MORE NATURAL.  THE MAIN THING YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE IS:  THE MELTING POINT IS VERY LOW AND THEY WILL MELT DOWN IF LEFT OUT IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT WHERE THE TEMP IS HIGH.  THE COLORS WILL BLEAD IF YOU PUT DIFFERENT ONES TOGATHER ALSO.  (THIS IS TRUE FOR ALL HAND POURS AND MOST INJECTION MOLDED BAITS TOO.)

DAVE

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/20/04 at 22:27:20
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys.  I know I have had some of my plastics MELT, they were probably the cyberflex i think.  Also, had some colors run on others. Etc, etc, etc.  So just wanted to glean any wisdom from youse guys.

Good job,  Rich Grin

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/21/04 at 02:03:26
Quote Print Post  
Rich...thanks for beating Jim to the dumb question...I just hurt when Jim does that!
   I have wondered the same, and I just leave them in their origenal pkgs. in the box. that way I can be brain dead and not wory about them. Undecided

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/21/04 at 15:09:38
Quote Print Post  
Watch out where you put some of your plastics. Always lay them on a plastic bag or something. The oils on those baits will eat through plastic tackle boxes, boat carpets and take the varnish off your kitchen table. I heard the Power Bait scents and plastics are bad for that.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo