Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Braided Line (Read 12831 times)
Rich
Ex Member

Braided Line
03/04/05 at 16:48:40
Quote Print Post  
After reading, O.K. looking at the piturs, a lot of articles regarding pitchin' and flippin' and hearing that the "Big" boys use heavy, 30 to 65 lb., braided lines I was wondering who uses braided line around here?  How heavy, brand, pros and cons.

Rich

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Braided Line
Reply #1 - 03/04/05 at 17:06:59
Quote Print Post  
Hey Rich......I use some for pitchin and flippin and use the 8lb diameter 20 test but have some I am trying that was on sale.........4 lb dia. 14 lb test for spinning and the 8-20.......fireline and remington are the brands.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/04/05 at 17:40:41
Quote Print Post  
Well Rich the cover those guys are flipping require some heavy stuff. I haven't seen mats of weeds up here like in Florida. Wood is more likely up here and you fight fish around wood, not through it like weeds. Abrasion resistance is more a key than heavy-horsing power in my book. Rule of thumb is to use the thinnest diamteter line you can get away with, even with braids. I do use 20 lb braid on my spinning reels with a leader of mono or flourocarbon. The braid lasts longer so I only need to worry about retieing the leader. Plus it adds some sensitivity.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/04/05 at 20:11:52
Quote Print Post  
Larry,  I tried some "Spider Wire" on a spinning reel way back when.  It kept digging into the spool so I threw it away.  The line that is. 

How do you guys keep the braid from doing that on your spinning stuff?

Rich

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/04/05 at 20:51:01
Quote Print Post  
Rich,  I use Power Pro with a 4 -6 ft leader.  This makes it tougher around rocks which is braded lines biggest enemy I think.  If Im only around pads or wood I dont use a leader.  This is by far the best stuff that I have used in the braded lines.  When it starts to wear out connect the end to another spool and spool it up and your good to go again using the same line.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/04/05 at 21:35:49
Quote Print Post  
Has anyone tried the McCoy braid? I think it is called Stealth...

I am thinking of ordering a spool for my flippin' stick. The 50lb. stuff is 10 lb. diameter. I have always loved McCoy's regular line, so I thought I might give their braid a try.

Chris

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/04/05 at 22:20:22
Quote Print Post  
Darnit Sarge,  this is my thread and you go and HI-JACK it with your questions and baby problems.  Get your own thread.

Oh well, until you learn to start your own thread go ahead and use mine.  (Sigh) I just love being magnanimous.

Rich

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/04/05 at 22:22:28
Quote Print Post  
I started using Stren braid last year.  It's green in color,  doesn't fade, and is round so it doesn't cut into itself on the spool.  I've been very pleased with this particular brand when compared to Fireline or PowerPro.  Smiley For pitching into heavy cover such as the hydrilla mats at Clear Lake I use 30lb test.  For other aplications up here I prefer the use of the new flourocarbon, Vanish Transition, in 17-20 lb. test.  It is a 2nd generation flourocarbon and is much limper than before yet it still is extremely sensitive, very abasion resistant, and invisable under water.

SMITTY
Wink

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/04/05 at 23:09:51
Quote Print Post  
Just adding to the current content, Rich  Grin

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/04/05 at 23:16:55
Quote Print Post  
Don't worry Sarge I'm ordering some from McCoy and will give you a free fill up. It's a part of what I'm suppose to do so I'll hook you up with some McCoy mean Green Braid.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/05/05 at 02:11:39
Quote Print Post  
After trying spider wire, fireline, power pro, tuf line, and a few others not worth mentioning, I have decided that Stren's new Super Braid is by far and away the best braid out there.  Nice and round, it stays green while most others fade and has no memory.  I started using it last year.  The only down side is its cost.

Mark

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/05/05 at 03:14:03
Quote Print Post  
Rich, I've used Fireline and Power Pro in 20lb test and only really use it for carolina rigging in the winter or flipping for the big ones in the heavey pads or heavy wooded cover. I've broke off on rocks several times so when it comes to Riffe or Banks you won't see it on my rods. Tongue  My two cents.  Brian (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #12 - 03/05/05 at 03:15:06
Quote Print Post  
Rich,

Bob Payseno told me the other night that you should start out your spool with enough mono to form a barrier between your braid and the spool, then tie to the braid and finish filling the spool. He said it will both allow the braid to seat better/more smoothly on the spool and also protect the spool.

I am just parroting what I understood Bob to say, so if I am wrong, feel free to correct me, folks.

Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/07/05 at 03:21:39
Quote Print Post  
Rich,

I use 20lb Power Pro on my spinning rods for skipping under docks and around stick ups. I also use 50lb Power Pro For flipping at Potholes in the deep stuff. Most people would think 50 is too much but I flip in some heavy stuff.

Haven't tried the Stren stuff yet but will try it sometime.
RB

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/12/05 at 02:41:55
Quote Print Post  
I use 30lb powerpro on my jig/worm stick.  The one thing I don't like is the way it fades after awhile.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo