Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Patterns (Read 11266 times)
Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Patterns
Reply #15 - 04/22/04 at 05:35:31
Quote Print Post  
Really great post, Rev! This has turned out to be an excellent discussion.

Glenn - The only reason I asked you about particular studies is because you typed, "As for big bass being loners - tracking studies have proven that theory." Even if you didn't mean "always", it sounded like it, and I thought maybe you had read something I didn't know about. If I was new to bass fishing, I might just take your statement for fact.

Yes - I've read a lot of tracking studies and that's why I was curious. I wasn't trying to be an A%%. The tough thing about tracking studies is 1) they're expensive (tags usually cost about $100 or more per fish) and 2) they only give you individual fish information, and it would be difficult to say anything about what other fish are around the one you're tracking, if there are even any.

Peace out,
Chris

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #16 - 04/22/04 at 14:19:58
Quote Print Post  
No problem, Chris.  As a matter of fact, I may have read something you may not be aware of.

Besides talking to trophy bass hunters such as my buddies Chris "fish" Wolfgram (www.trophybassonly.comn) and Chuck Bauer (www.worldrecordbass.com), ; I've also read several books.  Most notably is "Tracking Trophy Bass" by John Hope (I have several of his articles on my site).

As the story goes, John Hope caught 2 trophy bass within a week's time and implanted them with radio transmitters.  One of those two bass he named after his wife, Wanda (he named all the bass he tracked).

That week marked the beginning of an amazing story that has established John as a nationally recognized expert on the behavior of trophy largemouth bass.

John and his wife tracked more than 30 largemouth bass ranging from seven pounds to 15 pounds, eight ounces on lakes throughout the nation. The tracking program also involved other species, including walleye and a couple of trophy smallmouth bass.

The first 10 years of John's tracking program resulted in, Tracking Trophy Bass, a comprehensive book on locating and catching trophy fish. The book was very well received in the angling community and soon sold out.

John was the person to note what he calls "funnel points".  John's terminology came from his attempt to describe locations in a lake where trophy bass feed. He sat down with a map and marked all the places where he'd caught really big bass and started to notice they all had something in common. They looked like funnels.

During a trip to Houston County Lake (Texas) he decided to test his theory and announced to all on the trip that he could mark 10 places on the map where trophy fish had been caught. There were professional guides and others with many years of fishing experience among the crowd.

"After they all stopped snickering," says Hope, "I marked the map and let them take a look at it." They all had to admit that every spot he marked was correct.

John and co-author Jesse Miller released an updated version of the book in 2001. The new edition includes new information garnered through 16 years of John's continuous research, which includes findings from extensive research conducted on his private lake on his property.

In his book, he notes that big bass tend to be loners, and stay within a defined area.  My trophy hunter friends note the same observations, based upon their experiences.  He also defines 3 types of bass - shallow, mid-layer, and deep bass - that stay within their haunts except during the spawn.  It's a pretty good read.

Doug Hannon also has some good books and videos on trophy bass worth reviewing.  He's also a well-known expert on trophy bass behaviors.  It's been a while since I've dusted off the stuff I have by him, so I don't recall what he says about bass being loners, if at all.

Are these definitative research studies?  Probably not in the eyes of some.  However, there's nothing else I know of that comes close.

Hope that helps!

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 04/23/04 at 00:49:52
Quote Print Post  
I've never heard of that book... It sounds pretty interesting! I may pick that up sometime soon.

Thanks for the info,
Chris

IP Logged

Spivv
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/06/04 at 11:52:47
Quote Print Post  
Great info guys.  I have been going crazy trying to figure out what to do with myself out on the water.?. I've convinced myself that I need 3 or 4 poles at my feet with different presentations in order to be a productive basser. After reading your posts I think I need to just RELAX and try and remember why I started this hobby in the first place-TO HAVE FUN!! It definitely cuts down on line tying time, though Wink. I think being comfortable with your presentation is very important. If your out there throwing everything you "think" should work and not focusing on your present technique you could be costing yourself valuable fishing time.
Wade
P.S.
Glenn, you might want to check the "Trophybass...." link in your earlier post.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/06/04 at 17:13:02
Quote Print Post  
several years ago on a lake well after the spon I caught a 6 lbs smallie, not ten min. later in the same spot I caught a five lbs. er. within three casts I caught yet another 5....don't figure. Undecided

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo