Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) whacky rigging? (Read 11065 times)
mattemrich
Ex Member

whacky rigging?
02/21/04 at 04:13:08
Quote Print Post  
Hi everyone- just wondering if anyone can tell me what whacky rigging is. -Never heard of it.

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Re: whacky rigging?
Reply #1 - 02/21/04 at 04:38:02
Quote Print Post  
It's wacky alright...imagine the normal method of hooking a plastic worm "Texas style" (weedless) by running the hook through the nose of the worm and inline with its body so the whole thing lays straight.

Wacky-rigged is where you hook the worm in its middle, at 90 degrees to the length, so that half the worm hangs off each side of the hook. Now jiggle the hook around and watch that worm dance like crazy!!! That's Wacky-rigging and it "skips" well under docks etc...the only problem can be the exposed hook point being a liability in close cover.

Try it, it's real fun to fish, from a 6-7" worm for skipping right down to a 3" worm for drop-shotting....I love Wacky Worms!!

Faz

IP Logged

mattemrich
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/22/04 at 04:16:11
Quote Print Post  
Thanx for the reply, one more question-when do i  whacky rig and when do i not? Or is it just preference?

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/22/04 at 05:52:03
Quote Print Post  
In my experience, Whacky rigging is better for active fish. Since that can change suddenly, you have to be thinking about what makes fish active (or not). Water temp, light penetration, cloud cover, and wind/ripples on the water, among other things.  One good thing is that when you're fishing Senkos weightless, they "stay put" better in the water when Whacky, a problem in the wind if you nose hook them. I think Senkos are especially good when Whacky rigged, due to their large cross section and stiffer body. Avoid overworking the bait. Subtle twitches are needed, not huge yanks or sweeps. I have been using the Yamamoto #4 Split Shot ("Circle") hook and 4" Senko. Try to learn and gain confidence in a new technique on waters where you know you can get lots of bites, even if they will be small fish.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/23/04 at 04:32:31
Quote Print Post  
Matt, that is a real tough question, and personal preference pays a large part. As Steve says, active fish respond well to "Wacky" rigs.

All I can tell you is that last year I used a "wacky-rigged" dropshot with a 3" Bolt grub (small straight, ribbed worm type bait) and caught 4lb Largemouth in 2ft of water in Potholes in February, 1lb Perch and 4lb Smallmouth in up to 30-50ft in Winter on Washington and generally find the action seems to be very versatile.

It's really a question of what you have confidence in, I was trying to see if this rig worked all year round and in more than one depth range.

Faz

IP Logged

mattemrich
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/23/04 at 06:35:31
Quote Print Post  
Great-thanks for the response, guys. I need all the help I can get! I wanna learn everything I can. ???

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/23/04 at 07:49:31
Quote Print Post  
The only thing you need to be careful of is the exposed tip of the hook.  It will stick into anything it comes in contact with.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/26/04 at 04:58:14
Quote Print Post  
If you're fishing weedy water, you want to use a hook like the Gamakatsu EWG, and install it like a Texas rig, or "Texposed" (the point is out of the plastic, laying as close to the top as you can get it).

If the waters are not very snaggy, I like to use the Yamamoto "Split Shot Hook", which is a "Circle Hook". It's surprisingly snag resistant (except weeds), however the hookset is very different, and a hard set won't do a thing for you. Reel down, like you're trying to find out if it's a fish or a weed, and when you know it's a fish, load up the rod to drive the  point in. Usually, the hook will be in the corner of the mouth. I've mostly used the #4 size on 8 lb test and spinning gear.

A fairly new trick is to use a neoprene "O-ring" in the middle of the Senko and just put the hook between the o-ring and bait. See pics here:  http://www.northernbass.com/ (it takes awhile to load the pictures). I haven't tried this yet, but intend to...I think it will work as advertised, but you can use half of an old retractable ballpoint pen for the install tool. Should be easy to get suitable sized O-rings at McLendon's, High Strength Bolt, American Hose & Hydraulic, etc.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Larry G.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/26/04 at 14:19:33
Quote Print Post  
For those who don't know or may have just forgot, the Evergreen Sportsmens show is now running at the Monroe Fair grounds.
While working the Gamakatsu Booth, I had several northend dealers come over and let me know  Gamakatsu's new wide gap finnesse hook, designed for wacky rigging is selling extrmely well. This hook was designed for use on wide body baits like the Senkos, and come in sizes 4 - 2/0.
Larry Gonczy

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/26/04 at 18:56:56
Quote Print Post  
Ok, I'll spill my beens. I use electrical tape!  Shocked
I will put about 2 wraps around the head of the sinko( it will only stick to its self) and than just rig it. Put the hook in the top, out the side of the tape, do the 180 turn and skin hook it. During all the casting, snagging , stumping. weeding, all the pressure is taken out on the tape of the offset bend in hook and not the sinko...NO there is no change in the action and 1 sinko will last me all day. (thata because I don't catch fish) Angry
   Do the same in the middle...3 wraps of tape will do the trick.

IP Logged

mattemrich
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/27/04 at 02:05:11
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for all the great tips guys! Now I just need to remember them when I'm on the water.

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/28/04 at 05:30:15
Quote Print Post  
Matt, all the hooks mentioned already work well, but like a lot of things, personal preference and confidence also plays a big part.

Over the last year I have tried several brands and types of hook...and liked only two, the Gamakatsu G-lock in size 1,2 and sometimes 4 (real small for Perch mostly) and The Owner "Down-shot hook" which is a little wierd looking as it is an unusual shape.

Both caught fish and I lost less hook-ups with those than with any other type I tried.

Experiment until you find what works for you.

Good luck and hope to see you at the next Fish-in Sat, March 6th.

Faz

IP Logged

mattemrich
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/28/04 at 16:11:11
Quote Print Post  
I'll be there with bells on! Wink

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/29/04 at 02:52:14
Quote Print Post  
Wacky rigging is great for open water or along the edge of some weedless docks, but for skipping under those docks - it's easier texas rigged.  Anyone out there tired skipping a wacky rig? I can't imagine it works too well.

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/29/04 at 05:47:24
Quote Print Post  
I though so too, but imagine my surprise when a "wacky-rigged" Senko skipped much better than I thought and in some cases better than a straight, Texas-rigged version.

As Doug points out, the biggest hitch is the "snagability" of the exposed hook point, but as for the skipping action and accuracy, I prefer it to the straight one. The retrieve action is great too, especially with the longer Senkos, the "legs" really flex and bend a lot when twitched back to the boat.

I would recommend trying it, you will be surprised!!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo