Normal Topic Crankbait Reels (Read 3504 times)
bill44
Ex Member

Crankbait Reels
03/18/05 at 18:16:23
Quote Print Post  
I have a question about Crankbaits and Reels.

I want to learn and do more Crankbait fishing this year but I have some questions.  Like

What reels is the best?  I have some people telling me that a 5 2 ratio is to fast and I need to buy a 4-? ratio.

I'm not sure why the ratio speed is so important.

Need some feed back if anyone has some thoughts I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

IP Logged

RobAllen
Ex Member

Re: Crankbait Reels
Reply #1 - 03/18/05 at 19:15:19
Quote Print Post  
Crankbaiting is one of my favorite ways to fish. I have a  reel that is 5-1 retrieve and I think it is plenty slow enough.  Does the gear ratio matter? maybe 25-30% of the time but you  can accomplish the same thing by training  your hand with a 6-1 reel if there is a shimano curado with a 5-1  that would be my first choice in a new reel..

there are a lot of good crankbait's out on the market i'd  say pick 3-4 different baits in 3-4 different colors and fish them with confidence.
here are my choices

shallow..  Poe's RC1 and RC3 in white, chartruce and baby bass
deep... Luhr Jensen hot lips,  fire tiger,craw, red

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/18/05 at 19:28:24
Quote Print Post  
Shimano manufactures both left & right-hand retrieve Curado's in 5.1:1 and 6.1:1.
I just sold a Curado 201 B5 last night at the swap meet.

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/18/05 at 22:38:30
Quote Print Post  
After last fishing season, I love crankbaits. 5.2:1 gear ratio is very versatile, and is not too fast for crankbaits. I recommend Norman's Deepdiving Little N. It's a little bigger than what most guys throw for smallmouth, but trust me, they will eat it. I've also heard great things about Timbertigers (Yakima Bait Co.) Main thing, fish a crankbait that dives deeper than the water you're fishing. My experience is limited, but I've caught all of my fish when that crankbait is chewing up the bottom.

Danny

IP Logged

bill44
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/18/05 at 23:34:00
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for all the information.  I really appreciate the response.

I'm looking forward to Crankbait fishing this season.

Look forward to giving some good reports on the learning experience.

Thanks

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/22/05 at 04:11:45
Quote Print Post  
I would definitely buy a more expensive reel with quality bearings like in a Curado. Crankbaits are a bait that you will throw ten times more than dragging a worm or jig back. You need a reel that will handle more casts and retreives. I went through 3 reels last year that threw bearings because they were cheaper reels. This will happen with spinnerbaits too, as you make multiple casts with these. Make sure you lube em up too. I have used a Shimano Cardiff for 3 years and it still casts like the day I got it. And for some reason it is hard to get backlashes with it. It just casts like a dream. I couldn't recommend a better reel for cranking.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/22/05 at 05:03:42
Quote Print Post  
I'm the guy that bought Smitty's Curado at the Swap Meet. My crankbait reel is a Shimano Calcutta. It's a nice reel, but it isn't as user friendly as a Curado, IMO. Harder to adjust the centrifugal control, tho it's not often you need to adjust it, but it's a lot harder to get access to the spool, to pick out a backlash or tie on new line. The Curado is really sweet in both regards.

It happens that this weekend, I won most of a G.Loomis crankbait rod (paid $65 for the rest!). My plan is to put a Curado on my old St. Croix FG crankin' rod, and use it with 20 or 30 lb test Stren Braid for Rattle-Traps. I figure to put the Calcutta on the G.Loomis. It's a 7' Med.-Lt., so it should throw 1/4 oz cranks ok. In our clear water, we need to use smaller cranks and buzz them along at a good clip. This particular Calcutta is 5.8:1, tho some are lower geared. I don't think I'd like cranking  those 20'+ deep divers with it, but I really can't see them as being productive in the places I usually fish. FWIW.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo