Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Keepers (Read 8150 times)
scout637
Forum Member

Re: Keepers
Reply #15 - 04/26/12 at 17:47:10
Quote Print Post  
BassAholic wrote on 04/26/12 at 16:46:27:
Selective harvesting is needed on some lakes problem is it needs to be managed & no one keeps track of how many bass are being taken Unlike salmon Do you have a punch card for Bass Also Salmon tend to die when caught they just are not hearty as bass when it comes to C&R.
Salmon are stocked & managed Bass are not. Salmon grow much faster then bass so the recovery of harvest is much faster. Bass grow to about 2lb in a year then only average 1/2lb a year after that.On the wetside of the state.
A 5lb fish could be 10yrs old. Taking those would be like cutting down the old growth trees.

C&R works & many 1000s of hrs & $ have been spent studying this. Tagging tracking & logging have proven it. If you think it does not then please link us to some prove otherwise I can fill this page with links to many studies that prove it does no harm & what happen when tournaments in the past had big fish frys at the end on the day. Watch a few bassmaster tournaments on TV they always are talking about management & how much better the fishing is now.

Bass are needed to keep bluegill perch & other fish populations in check If there are not enough bass then those fish will become a problem to trout eggs Bass eat trout also but they do not eat the eggs. Also note bass are opportunistic feeders & will go after the weak trout natures way of cleaning up.  

As for why C&R & what is our motivation I can only speak for myself. I can go out catch a limit & be done in 1-3hrs When I C&R I can fish all day & know that the next time I go there will be fish to catch again. The best part is its never the same one day to the next & I must figure out the puzzle every time.

Quote:
I guess its possible to fish simply for the thrill of it. Maybe its to get proficient so you can win at tournaments (monetary gain).

Yes to get proficient & the thrill.
monetary gain  Grin you need to fish a few tournaments then you will realize that you lose $ even when you win.
Why do people compete in anything Why race cars your just going in circles wasting gas. Why play golf you just hit a ball then walk to it & hit it again.

Now that makes sense. It's nice to be able to talk on this sensitive subject without raising hackles.  I believe if you are going to practice C&R you must educate yourself in proper handling and proper gear. As for selective harvesting, you need to educate yourself not only on handling and gear but on proper fish management to better understand what fish to take in regards to lake conditions. I don't believe a fishery can thrive with absolute zero harvesting. The same can be said with too much harvesting. There needs to be a balance

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #16 - 04/26/12 at 19:14:55
Quote Print Post  
Good points John.  But I can assure you, bass do not grow to 2 lbs in a year around here.  From what I understand it takes 3 yrs for a bass to get to a pound or so.  If your fact was correct, the 6 inch dinks I saw swimming around over the weekend would of been born say, 2-3 months ago   Shocked

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #17 - 04/26/12 at 20:25:16
Quote Print Post  
Sorry I meant 2yrs Point is they get there very quick & then seem to grow slow after they hit 2lbs just what my personal studies have found  Wink

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

Pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 04/27/12 at 03:45:34
Quote Print Post  
If you really want some good quality data pertaining to this subject I would suggest you send an e-mail to Danny Garrett who is the WDFW Warm Water biologist in this region.  Danny is also a tournament angler and former WBC member.  

Dan.Garrett@dfw.wa.gov

Another great resource would be Chris Sargent who also was a WBC member and is currently a fisheries biologist in Alaska.  I'm sure Terry or Ron have Chris' contact infomation to ask him what his opinion would be on this matter.  Chris would be very honest and truthful on this subject.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo