Normal Topic Which lure with which rod? (Read 2756 times)
Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Which lure with which rod?
12/29/04 at 04:54:01
Quote Print Post  
I have two baitcasting rods/reel combos and I'm wondering on which lure will be most effective with what I have.  One is a 7' med/heavy with a Pflueger Trion low profile with a 4.2 gear ratio spooled with 30lb powerpro line (8lb diameter) and the other is a 6'6" med action with the same reel, but a 6.3 gear ratio spooled with 8lb flouracarbon.  I throw mostly senkos, hula grubs, and many other soft plastics, but have been trying to use other lures like spinners, crank baits, both lipless and billed.  What should I use for topwater like poppers?  I'm just looking at which rod would be the best for each lure.  

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Which lure with which rod?
Reply #1 - 12/29/04 at 06:38:38
Quote Print Post  
Well....not being a fan of the heavy weight braids....(30 lb stuff.) I would use the 7ft rod and reel combo for flipping and pitching grubs and jigs and also Senkos weightless and weighted but would switch to the high speed for the quick retrieve and for turning close quarters fish......the 6'6 I would go with the 8 lb flourocarbon and the 4.2 ratio for top waters and such even light carolina stuff but up the line to 12 or 14 for spinnerbaits and mid level crankin stuff....the slower speed will not hamper the action of the baits as the high speed reel might.
Grin

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/29/04 at 16:55:13
Quote Print Post  
Rod setup same as Larry. When I use cranks out deep I won't use lines much heavier than 10lb test. For shallow cranks and topwater you want heavy line like 20lb. Especially for topwater. You don't need that line to handle the fish but with topwater the heavy line keeps the more bouyant and makes your presentation work better. But if you want the 6'6'' ich rod for everything from cranking deep to running a shallow water crank go with about 14lb line. Good for spinnerbaits to.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/29/04 at 17:49:38
Quote Print Post  
The 6'6" sounds like a good all around rod to me. You could get away with throwing cranks if it's not too stiff, and topwaters, jerkbaits, jigs and worms if it's not too soft. I like stiffer rods for those applications and softer ones for cranks and spinnerbaits.

The 7 fter would make a good flippin/pitchin rod, but would also be my choice for a carolina rig or rev-rig this time of year. You could also throw jigs and worms on it, but would be too stiff for fast moving baits.

As for line, the 30 lb braid would work for a carolina rig because you can use a lower diameter mono for a leader, and possibly flippin/pitchin, but isn't necessary. On almost all my other applications (baitcaster), I use 12 lb test. It works for about everything with the cover we are likely to fish in Washington. I have jumped to 14 lb for certain lakes with bigger bass, but not all the time. I will use 15-17 for flipping/pitchin though.

These are just some ideas from us. You will get a feel for which rod action or line diameter you like. Rule of thumb is keep it simple.

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #4 - 01/02/05 at 04:31:43
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for your replies.  I switched the reels from when they were new, but will probably switch them back.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/20/05 at 17:21:46
Quote Print Post  
Just to add to the discussion...Regardless of the application, I generally favor a longer rod simply because of the leverage factor.  I like long casts regardless of presentation, flipping, splitshotting, drop shotting, etc.  The longer rod and my height makes for good hook sets.  Food for thought. 

KH.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo