Normal Topic Cleaning up those baits (Read 973 times)
Rob M.
Ex Member

Cleaning up those baits
04/09/11 at 16:18:10
Quote Print Post  
So after sitting all winter long, I have been going through my baits and re-organizing and cleaning up. Thought I'd post some tips to getting ready for tournament time. Heres the time to buy new tackle trays, treble hooks, split rings. To clean those hard baits go through and remove rusty hooks and split rings. I then soak them in hot soapy water. Then scrub em down with one of those magic erasers. Buy new split rings and trebles and re-assemble. They look like new. And the hooks will be sharper.

I buy new trackle boxes and replace the ones that are getting old and start warping. You can buy them buy bundles and they are cheaper. Some of mine are hard to see through cause they get cloudy or the little locking tabs break off. You can take off the big ring on tackle binders and wash the binder in the washer machine and buy new rings from those fabric stores like Micheals if they gave rust on them. Just dont get caught by your buddies in there.

Cork rod handles clean up like new with warm soapy water. They will get that new, tacky feeling back into them too. Wipe your reels down and re lube them properly. Get new line on them.

I go through my jigs and check for any rusty hooks. I pretty much throw them away if they are bad. The rust can clean off if not too bad but the hook can be weakened.

I start re-organizing my baits in the new tackle trays or binders. Go through your stash of baits you bought last year and didnt take out of the pack. You'll remember some you forgot about. I found crankbaits, spinnerbaits and bags of plastics. Better to find these before buying them again.

Hope this helps and motivates some to get there gear ready. Then go through our boat and get that ready. There have been posts on how and what to have ready in your boat. Just look through the older pages.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo