Normal Topic alabama rig (Read 3272 times)
bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

alabama rig
02/16/12 at 20:01:00
Quote Print Post  
Was over at the Outdoor Emporium rigging some reels with line and was shown a Alabama rig by one f the employees there. Came home and did a little research on it. Just wondering what you guys think and if it would be applicable in Washington waters. Is it even legal in this state.                                                            

http://www.thealabamarig.com/
« Last Edit: 02/16/12 at 21:17:28 by bassin9 »  
IP Logged

brokentrail
Forum Member

I fish because the voices
in my head tell me to!

Re: alabama rig
Reply #1 - 02/18/12 at 23:15:29
Quote Print Post  
I would say the contraption itself is legal but only if you put three hooked baits on it as the law reads

"one line with up to three hooks per angler"

You could only use three baits and leave two  arms empty, or you could put a couple baits on it that didn't have hooks I suppose and play russian roulette with which bait they'd actually strike.

I think the intended application was to mimic schools of shad, especially threadfin ("yellow tails") which tend to run smaller than gizzard shad or skipjack herring. Just as some folks say rattling in blacktail deer doesn't work, that is a whitetail tactic, well it has worked for me so I can't see why this couldn't mimic a small school of perch or bluegills etc.

Let us know if you try one and how it works, you may have all of us running to the Outdoor Emporium!

Cheers!&&&&Andy
IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #2 - 02/19/12 at 16:53:21
Quote Print Post  
The guy at OE was eager to try it,  but i can not bring myself do it. I would have more fun fishing the traditional way anyways.

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/19/12 at 19:35:24
Quote Print Post  
I know I will try it.   its won tournaments throughout the entire country including a recent event on shasta.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #4 - 02/20/12 at 05:23:38
Quote Print Post  
I ordered the ABT rig the other day.  Its got stiffer wire and I plan to throw traditional stuff and probably three 6" hudd's with it as well.  Should be fun, for a little while.  The Paycheck Baits rig is really cool too, when you jerk the rod the wires come together like real bait school movements.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/20/12 at 05:28:24
Quote Print Post  
I saw that too chris.  Makes me wonder what the durability of some of these rigs are though.   I know the picasso one has had great reviews as well.  From what I gather most guys in three hook states are rigging dummy rigs with no hooks on the shorter wires.  That way most of the fish are hitting baits with hooks still.  This rig screams chelan to me!

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #6 - 02/21/12 at 02:00:22
Quote Print Post  
I saw the three rig set up at Limitout marine today. Hell, I might just give it a shot, just for the hell of it .

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo