Normal Topic Fall Fishing Rig (Read 4880 times)
gotfive
Ex Member

Fall Fishing Rig
09/30/06 at 00:23:39
Quote Print Post  
I like to fish mop-tops or any crawfish imitator in the fall.  My thought is that I am going to go with fireline toa swivel and 30 inches of gamma to the businiess end.  All of this on a spinning combo.  I feel that I will do better in deeper water and have more sensitivity.  Anybody have a comments on this type of set-up?

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Re: Fall Fishing Rig
Reply #1 - 09/30/06 at 03:07:21
Quote Print Post  
i have never liked putting swivels on my line, but i can see how the fireline adds sensitivity.  what size swivels are you using?  also i'm usually to lazy to tie that many knots  Smiley

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/30/06 at 03:42:18
Quote Print Post  
Forget the swivel and use a blood knot to tie the two lines together. I fish all my braid on spinning tackle that way. I rarely fish braid straight to the bait. My thought is the less knots, the better.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/30/06 at 06:28:41
Quote Print Post  
I thought of the blood knot, too Rob.  Do you use this sort of set-up with the knot?  Does it come apart, at all, as some braids do?

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/30/06 at 15:32:11
Quote Print Post  
Sorry Kirk, I meant the double uni-knot. I used to use the blood knot but don't like it. The double uni is easier to tie too. I have never had one of these knots fail even with 4-5 pound smallies tugging on it. Make sure you get the knot tied good so you can cut the tags close. If you don't cut the tags close, line can get stuck on them in the spool when casting. In the picture they are too long. Pull the line good to check the knot after tying, it will pull apart if you don't get it right. I've used this for all spinning rod applications.

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/30/06 at 15:58:30
Quote Print Post  
For fishing deep, I too use the Uni knot on line to leader for crawfish type presentations.  Otherwise I am a big fan of Roboworms on a dropshot rig.  I keep the bait from 4 to 8 inches above the weight, this has worked better for big fish in the fall, than the normal 15 to 20 inches I use during the summer.

I do not use a swivel with fireline (et al), but will use it occasionally with copolymer, mono etc when I have to due to the constant twist from using the spinning reel, but I use as small a swivel as I can tie up. 

I am confident with this presentation...fwiw

BillB

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/01/06 at 01:38:58
Quote Print Post  
hey rob,

how long are you making your mono leader?  couple feet?

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/01/06 at 02:06:29
Quote Print Post  
Usually 10-12 feet in case a break off. Leaves me some line to re-tie. Saves on mono too if you like to buy expensive stuff and cuts down on re-spooling time.
« Last Edit: 10/01/06 at 18:47:23 by »  

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/03/06 at 12:32:36
Quote Print Post  
I also use a combination of braid and mono for dropshotting.... and use the smallest swivel I can get for the join. A damaged rod tip made me add one more piece to the rig, a glass bead above the swivel to prevent the swivel from being wound through the rod tip, bead is pegged with rubber.

Faz

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo