Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Braid on baitcaster (Read 7463 times)
BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Braid on baitcaster
07/29/08 at 16:54:06
Quote Print Post  
I put braided line on my bait caster It does just what I thought digs in & then the line snaps I did back the reel with mono Is there a line Brand or size I should be using to stop this.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: Braid on baitcaster
Reply #1 - 07/29/08 at 17:33:38
Quote Print Post  
Jon,

All braids dig in that I know of. But breaking I haven't ever had that problem. I use Stren braid and some power Pro but prefer the satren braid because it is rounder and flows off the reel much smoother.

Russ

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #2 - 07/29/08 at 19:00:37
Quote Print Post  
It was some cheap 20lb stuff no name brand I was just casting it out & it would wrap in the reel & next cast I would chuck out it would snap at the reel Cool to see your bait & 6feet of line sail away.What size are you using I wonder if 20lb is too small.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/29/08 at 19:09:04
Quote Print Post  
Jon,

I believe it is 50lb braid with a 12 lb diamenter. I use it for flipping/pitching only but cast senko's with it on occasion.

It sounds like you are using the tuff line which is garbage and I tried it and it did the same as you describe.

Russ

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #4 - 07/29/08 at 20:07:51
Quote Print Post  
Haaaaa that's exactly what I was using  Grin

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #5 - 07/29/08 at 21:00:38
Quote Print Post  
You will have to use bigger braid when you spool up if you are going to cast it. 30Lb works good for dragging but gets wrapped up too easy. I use 65lb when throwing frogs or anything that you may need to cast and yank out of the slop.

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/30/08 at 00:32:33
Quote Print Post  
I have had 50lb Berkley Gorilla Braid on one of my reel, have not changed it for four years...... I just flip it over end to end at least once a season. Its a little thicker and fairly round, works great for flipping and pitching. I may well move up to 80lb just to get more thickness on the spool to help prevent cutting in on itself, but I guess it's not just the thickness but the "softness" of the line that allows it to deform and create the gap to cut into.

Faz

IP Logged

2000subaru
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/30/08 at 07:24:39
Quote Print Post  
If you would like a deal on Stren Super Braid you can purchase 300 yard spools of lo-vis green for $15-$18 each from Monster Fishing Tackle at http://www.outdoorproshop.com/Stren-Super-Braid-300yds-Fishing-Line-p/stren_supe....  Then print off the $6 rebate coupon that Stren has available on there website http://www.stren.com/media/File/081930Stren61.19.5Coupon.pdf.  That works out to be under $12 a spool!!!! Wink  Just lookin out for ya.  I must pass the deals to the masses.  I have ordered from them before and they are quick and reliable.  Sign up for their forum and get a discount too.

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #8 - 07/30/08 at 17:15:59
Quote Print Post  
The price on that line not as cheap when its $3more for anything bigger then 30lb & 8.95 shipping $26.95 total.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/31/08 at 21:29:19
Quote Print Post  
I have tried most of the braided lines and prefer the Stren Super Braid.  It is rounder, keeps its color all season and casts well on my baitcaster.  I use mostly the 20lb ad 30lb size.  Then tie a 8 ft flourocarbon leader to the end for most of my jig fishing.  The sensitivity is awesome, and the extra strength doesn't hurt.

mark

IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #10 - 08/01/08 at 19:01:41
Quote Print Post  
I use 30# Stealth Spiderwire. It was specifically made at the time not to dig into your spool. I have not had a lot of problems with it. I've tried a few brands but always come back to it.

Daryl

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #11 - 08/01/08 at 22:12:02
Quote Print Post  
I can echo Mark's statements about Stren.  However, on the one reel I use the stuff on, I use 40 lb. test.

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/01/08 at 23:59:05
Quote Print Post  
stren superbraid.  used it for three years now and it hasnt faded yet and i have no spool digging problems with it at all.

troy

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #13 - 08/02/08 at 00:41:03
Quote Print Post  
Whats a good size Stren Superbraid for say frog, slop fishing, pad fishing, and occasional jigs for LM ?? 
I have never used braid besides some fireline on a spinning reel YEARS ago. 

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Daryl
Forum Member

Reply #14 - 08/02/08 at 02:38:28
Quote Print Post  
For you it would be 100# to 150#. Anyone else 30# to 50#.

Ha

Daryl

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo