Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anyone on Washington Lately? (Read 11969 times)
DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Anyone on Washington Lately?
05/29/08 at 18:58:46
Quote Print Post  
Each year I give a free fishing trip away as a raffle prize for a local charity.  This year that trip was purchased for an unbelievable amount by a lady for her husband. Shocked  He told her he always wanted to fish for bass from a fancy big bass-boat.  So she fulfilled his dream, called me, and scheduled for this Sunday.  Given that he is an older gentleman fulfilling a lifelong dream, I want to make this a memorable occasion for him and ensure he catches a few bass, especially since his wife paid so much to the charity raffle.
I haven't been on Lk. WA for about a month.  Has anyone been there recently and can you share some info.
Feel free to PM me or call my cell @ 253/569-2310.

Thanx in advance, Smiley

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Re: Anyone on Washington Lately?
Reply #1 - 05/29/08 at 23:07:28
Quote Print Post  
I can't help you Smitty, I haven't been on WA in about 2 months  Cry
You are an exceptional human being though, so nice of you Sir !

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/29/08 at 23:41:58
Quote Print Post  
I have not been out since April but all my fishing log info shows a very consistant pattern for this week. Target SM. Fish the east shore of the east chanel from the house with the dragon (between Newcastle and Pleasure Point) south to the mill or visa versa. Only fish water where there is at least 12 feet of depth at the ends of the docks (boat would be in about 15 to 20 feet). Don't bother with weedy water. Toss white or chartruse double colorado spinnerbaits early. If that bite dies, skip senkos tight to docks / under docks. Land the spinnerbait very close to shore, the SM will almost always hit it early in the retreave. Use a trailer hook. Expect the bite to get tough by noon.  I am sure there are other patterns but that always works for me.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #3 - 06/01/08 at 03:10:29
Quote Print Post  
Susan and I got out on WA today.  Glad to be back out there.  Started at 7am.  We caught most of our fish on drop shot plastics.  10 feet of water or less.  Tight to docks.  I skipped some senkos and got one, and lost one.  I had one follow that was easily 4.  We had 5 fish in the boat in the first hour so we were very happy.
Didn't see Varmint's post before we left, but it sounds like pretty good advice.   
Me- dink, 1.2, 1.8, 2.1, 3.4
Susan- 3.1
Died off around mid morning, but we switched spots and couldn't find them.  Off the water at 1pm.

No JWerner pic but I tryed  Grin Grin

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #4 - 06/01/08 at 16:16:18
Quote Print Post  
Great Job you two!!! AWESOME!! Grin

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #5 - 06/02/08 at 13:52:09
Quote Print Post  
My thanks to all who offered their help and advise for the charity trip on Washington yesterday.  The gentleman I took fishing was a retired Army General!  I had to be nice to him and I hate it when that happens.  He thanked me over and over profusely although I only managed to put him on one kamikaze rat fish all day. Smiley  I only had three, one which went about 2 lbs and two more rats.  The 2 lb came on a tapeworm dropshotted into 3 ft. of water in the canals  late in the afternoon while the other dinks hit an orange X-Rap jerk bait in Husky bay early in the AM.  It was very tough fishing all day and I only saw three other bass boats on the lake who all reported negative results. Smiley  In fact, there were hardly any cabin cruisers, wake boats, ski boats or even water lice. Smiley  It was a very quiet day on the water with a constant 10-15 mph south wind and occasionl sprinkle Smiley.
Again my profound thanks to Mark, Phil, Pat, and Chris & Susan for the help. Smiley 

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/02/08 at 18:00:50
Quote Print Post  
My dad and I went out Saturday, and caught 16 smallies & 1 largie before 1pm. Only one fish was smaller than 2.5lbs, and the biggest was 4lbs 3oz. 5 Best were 19lbs. Water temp hasn't changed since two weeks ago; still 60. Fish caught shallow. We thought we were pre-fishing for the seahawks tournament next weekend, but it turns out there is no pro-division tournament this year, because of the poor turnout last year. I voiced my opinion about the miscommunication to Mr. Owens, because I wasn't the only one mislead!
chad

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #7 - 06/03/08 at 04:20:16
Quote Print Post  
Good job Chris.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #8 - 06/10/08 at 07:00:26
Quote Print Post  
I took some city slickers with me today and the boat was full.  I had two of my brothers (one whom have never fished for bass before) and a cousin from Cali with me.  You can imagine how crowded the boat was.  The weather didn't help either.  We fished from 11-3PM. I was more of a tour guide today rigging, taking care of snags and other stuff, but was still able to boat two decent smallies in the 2.5-3lb range dropshotting.  I caught many other dinks and missed many other nice bites.  My brother also landed his first smallies with a dink and a 2lber.  Water temp were around 54-56*.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #9 - 06/10/08 at 14:47:30
Quote Print Post  
This weather is terrible.  Water temps dropping in June  Cry

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/11/08 at 02:04:39
Quote Print Post  
Yeah, it sucks. My local lakes are the same water temps they were during the week of opening day!!!!!! It was nice though to catch a 5 lb. Largie out of 12 Ft. of water and she is PACKED with Eggs. I have not even seen a lot of Fry yet!!!!

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #11 - 06/15/08 at 01:37:31
Quote Print Post  
Went to WA today.  Got a late start 7:30am-almost 4.  The smallmouth wanted nothing to do with me today.  Tryed Newport for an hour, nothing and when I was driving out 4-5 others boats were already in and one caught a fish as I drove by  Grin  I tryed to save the day fishing for LM and got a 3.9lber. 
Rev, hope you see this report, at least I caught something  Grin  Rev said he got 7 keepers and a few dinks when we crossed paths around 1pm. 
Heres a camera phone video of the action Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTZKr11NI40

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/17/08 at 00:00:21
Quote Print Post  
Yeh, I ended up with 12 keeper smallmouth and a bunch of tiny dinks.  I tried a varity of things - starting early in the morning with the shallow locations, but everything was 1-2 pounds or smaller.  (I DID manage to catch my first spinnerbait fish over the weeds on Coleman point, that was fun!  And the rest of my morning bite came on crankbaits on the edges of weed lines - but like I said they were smaller males). I was then heading for the canals in Newport but I bumped into Chris who had just come out of there.  After getting his report I decided to go back to the drawing board.

So I got to thinking; the fish were pretty confused because of the weird spring weather, cool water temperature, (only now 56-59 degrees) and lack of sunshine... so that meant some bigger females were prespawn, (the majority I guessed) and a few were post spawn.  So it seemed logical to me to try and intercept the fish both coming from and going to deep water.  I hoped the middle ground would be the flats in 15-30 feet.  

After I left Chris I spent time trolling a crank (Rapala Shad rap) in 17-19 feet - catching only a couple of dinks.  but when I moved out to 23-28 feet (and used a fat-free shad) I nailed a nice string of 3-4 pounders (none had yet spawned).  THAT was fun!  Don't you love it when a plan comes together.  It was a beautiful day - and I admit to dozing off a time or two in the warm Sunshine!

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #13 - 06/17/08 at 02:41:42
Quote Print Post  
Awesome Rev, what a day !!

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/22/08 at 03:56:46
Quote Print Post  
What a difference a week makes!  I went out Friday, expecting the fish to pretty much be where they where the last time I went out (mid depths), but the water temperature went up almost to 69 degree by noon - it was a hot day!  Last week's upper 50's had the fish still holding in the 20+ range, but there was nothing there this time.  So I shifted to the weed edges and found 13 bass, a handful of squaw fish and even a couple of perch.  I caught them all on - yep, you guessed it - crankbaits.  

Weed beds were the ticket.  Interesting enough, 5 of those fish came from an area within one cast's distance from the same spot.  I'm still trying to figure out why that one place held a concentration whereas the rest of the grass field provided only arm exercise.  I even found a healthy largemouth (still full of eggs) out in front of what used to be the lumber company. (That's a rare occurance at the south end of the lake).  

The majority of the fish were caught in 6-10 feet of water with weeds within 3-4 feet of the surface.  I suspect a spinnerbait would have done well here too, but I like the crankbait because I could pause it, and several of the hits occurs just as I started it up again.  I used a shad colored "shallow" running Rapala Shad Rap - it only goes 3-4 feet deep.  

Three of the fish were picked up in 15 feet, but that was early in the morning.  The majority moved up into the shallows later on.  I started to go into the canals but it was filled with boats and no one was catching anything.  The weeds are thick in there this year - apparently they didn't poison it off yet.  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo