Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Potholes Lately?? (Read 10680 times)
gotfive
Ex Member

Re: Potholes Lately??
Reply #15 - 05/29/08 at 15:01:24
Quote Print Post  
Some fish are shallow ALL the time and during any time of the year.  This does not mean they are on beds.  There are thousands of studies on the web on bedding bass and they DO NOT spawn in 50 degree water, they can be shallow looking like they are on beds, but the science does not back it up.  Basspro and Flippin' Tech will not convince me of spawning fish in Potholes at 50-52 degree water, ever,  so we will have to agree to disagree.

Good Luck this week-end, Nick!!

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #16 - 05/29/08 at 17:45:35
Quote Print Post  
Gotfive I think you are wrong in saying fish will not be on beds in 50 degree water & next year if you would like I will take you to a lake that fish will be on beds at that temp if you would like to see for yourself. Now as for Russ saying throw blades because males will be guarding fry I don't think that is going to be the case. Bass will bed at 50 but almost never will the eggs hatch.
Remember most bass articles are written from a southern perspective & when there winter water temps are 45 & summer are 80-90 for 3 months then 50 seems nuts for spawn. Here we might see 80 tops for a few weeks so 50 seems more possible. Remember exception is always the rule but we want to fish high percentages not exceptions.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/29/08 at 17:52:08
Quote Print Post  
Maybe you guys should be looking at all the fry at the holes right now that have been swimming around there for a few weeks.

Bass,

Just let Kirk keeping thinking that way so I can continue to stick more fish than he does at the Potholes open.

Russ

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #18 - 05/29/08 at 20:26:47
Quote Print Post  
Ok...it's a go.  I'll be there Sunday and Monday.  Only been there once for a couple of hours.  What should I look for or expect?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/29/08 at 21:15:12
Quote Print Post  
I am not too sure about you.  Can't have a decent argument/discussion anymore without stupid comments.  The fry that are generally present at Potholes right now are walleye and perch.  There was likely a decent spawn during the May moon phase and fast warming water temps during the hot spell two weeks ago and more will occurr in June.  I also mentioned that I thought they could be on beds at 50 degrees, but logically LM bass will not spawn until the water temp holds between 61-64 degrees and the moon phase is correct.  This science has been applied since the beginning of warmwater biology.  ALthough I did not fish the Potholes Open this year, I spent 18 hours pre-fishing for it and NEVER saw a fish shallow until the day before the Open.  I was catching all of my fish on jigs in the rough.  My guess is I would have caught at least 25 lbs each day based on what I was catching during pre-fishing.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/30/08 at 00:19:05
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,

Thats okay I was just messing with you on the comments. Roll Eyes 25lbs a day would have been a miracle since the water temps dropped by 5-6 degrees on the first day of the event. During practice on friday we stuck 19 lbs for 4 fish and didn't swing on 10 fish because we knew that the bite was going to shut - off the next day due to the extreme cold front that came in the next two days and didn't want to sore mouth all of the fish we had found in a 100 yd stretch of water.

I agree with you on the LM spawn temps for the majority of fish is normally 62-67 . What I disaggree with you on is the fry that are being seen are not perch or walley fry but are bass fry.

Anyway thanks for the comments.

See you at the J&J,

Russ

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #21 - 05/30/08 at 00:45:09
Quote Print Post  
For those "confused ones",
  Connor and I spent all day Saturday on Potholes. Both Smallie and Largie fishing.  If you guys want an "honest" fishing report, here goes.  We saw probably 25 LM swimming around in shallow water but not a single fish guarding a bed.  Connor and I didn't even catch a single LM and Con and I DO know how to catch bedding LM.  As far as the Smallies go, the spawn IS ON!  We saw dozens of beds and caught the fish off of nearly every bed.  We did NOT, however, see any of the "black pepper" in the water that IS SM fry.  So.......  There you go, don't care what you all read, that's what we saw and that's what I'd report if someone asked me what is going on at Potholes.  BTW, Scootney IS worth the extra hours drive!!!  Connor was catching LM's all day on a top water Lucky Craft.  I caught them on a Brush Hawg and down there, they were spawning!!!!!

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #22 - 06/03/08 at 04:26:11
Quote Print Post  
I just got back from the Potholes for the first time and it was tough.  Sunday, I managed a 1.7 and 2.9lb largie.  My buddy Som caught two as well...2.7 and 2.9lb.  I missed two bites and had a smallmouth break off.  Today was tougher with a cold front and winds that made white caps on the lake.  Thanks Russ and Larry for some insights on the lake.  Will be back for sure.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 06/04/08 at 04:19:56
Quote Print Post  
Well, here is my recap from Potholes.
As for LM: Yes there was extreme amounts of fry in the dunes. Walleye, perch and BASS fry. I even managed to see a school of roughly 2 month old bass fry. There were Largemouths all over protecting fry, unfortunately, I did not find an effective way to catch them consistently and catch 5 a day, so I did not spend much time with them in the tournament. My backseater did catch a 2 lb. Largie back in the dunes for the 3 hours total we were there. Warmest water in dunes was 73-74F

As for smallies: I went after them most of the tournament. I did not find many productive areas for smallies in practice but during the tournament looked at some areas that might work. Caught a 4 pound smallie early sat. morning. After missing some bites (probably short fish) I was only able to come in with 9.25 for 4 fish, all on a Yamamoto DT Hula Grub and a dropshotted KGM Slinky w/ 3/16 oz Quickdrops. On Sunday, I just went fishing for big smallies in big smally areas, because I would at least need 23 pounds to win, I shot for the fences with smallmouth. I had a couple of rats in the morning 7:30AM on the rockpile with the grub and spinnerbait. Then I ran to some main lake bed areas later in the day when I could see them. Caught 1 fish on a bed, the rest were deeper, caught about 6 smallmouth and 1 largemouth. The LM was caught in 20 feet of water (WIERD????). They were on the Slinky and Hula Grub. I actually saw 1 school of fry, which I do not know if were walleye or what, but looked like smallie fry.
Lost one 2+ lb smallmouth, when I dropped the bait in about 5 feet of water over the side to get a loop out and I reel up a fish is on it and I lift up to bring it in the boat and it popped off. Could never get rid of that 1 last rat fish all day. Ended up weighing 4 smallmouth and 1 LM for 10.55 lbs. not bad, but not nearly good enough. It landed me with 19.80 lbs. for 2 days and 4th place, 9/100ths of a pound out of 3rd.

The tournament was won with 32 pounds. All Largemouth which included a 6 lber. Thank you everyone who helped me with some advice. Pictures to come.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #24 - 06/04/08 at 04:29:37
Quote Print Post  
Looks like you had some consistancy going Nick...just keep it up and remember to write all these things down as someday down the road it will come in handy!! Grin Grin Wink
I also saw some bigger fish off the dropoffs near flats but back then they had'nt decided to spawn deep yet.

IP Logged

The Weedwalker
WBC Member

Here fishy, fishy..........

Reply #25 - 11/30/08 at 21:05:25
Quote Print Post  
Out on Potholes for a couple hrs. with a buddy yesterday on our way back from Banks. we caught two smallies mine 3.4 his 3.15, 28ft. draging tubes.... Smiley Tried for walley but they didn't want to play.. Sad water temp 45.3*

Brian Walker (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 12/01/08 at 15:23:24
Quote Print Post  
Brian -
How did it go at Banks????

IP Logged

The Weedwalker
WBC Member

Here fishy, fishy..........

Reply #27 - 12/01/08 at 17:22:46
Quote Print Post  
Buddy and I were deer hunting around steamboat, took a long shot at one (went just over it's back), lotst of company.  Sad  We fished the rocks outside the day ramp for walleye for a couple hrs. hooked 2 lost the first one 10ft from the boat looked to be around 30inch, then broke another bigger one off. Looking at the line it looked like it ran me around a rock.. Sad  Still looking for my 6lber...

Brian Walker (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo