Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Potholes Lately?? (Read 10683 times)
Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Potholes Lately??
05/21/08 at 15:03:32
Quote Print Post  
Hi Guys,

I am unfortunately not going to be able to make it to the Jamboree, I am going to go Pre-fishing on Potholes this weekend for the Jr. State Championship. Due to the fact that I cannot pre-fish on the lake on FRI due to Football Practice.

So does anybody have any suggestions or tips on what I should be looking for this weekend? Any recent Reports?

Thanks,
               Nick

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Re: Potholes Lately??
Reply #1 - 05/21/08 at 20:40:28
Quote Print Post  
Dude -
Did you NOT see my photos?

IP Logged

Flippin Technician
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/21/08 at 21:02:14
Quote Print Post  
Hey Nick I would be flippin and pitchin and then I would flip and pitch some more. Look for hard bottom and have on a good set of glasses. Should be just a ton of fish on beds as the full moon was last night. If they have alredy spawned out move out to the first bit of deeper edges and do the same. Throw a crank bait every now and then and have a great time.

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/21/08 at 22:39:41
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,
    Yeah, I did see those Pics, GREAT Fish. I am looking forward to this weekend.

-Nick

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/21/08 at 22:43:27
Quote Print Post  
Nick,

Also look for schools of fry as some of those fish spawned back in April and pitch your senko or blade bait to the schooling fry. A big bass will be close by.

Russ

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #5 - 05/22/08 at 04:40:53
Quote Print Post  
I'm thinking about making a trip out there next month.  Would the spawn be over by then?  Been there once a few years back and fished for about 2 hours along the dam in the middle of summer.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/22/08 at 14:40:50
Quote Print Post  
Russ -
Dude, how can you be serious?  The water temp in April never got out of the upper 40's and low 50's.  That is almost funny that you would have that observation.  There will be a wave of spawners this month AND in June.

Nick -
STAND on the trolling motor and sight fish EVERY flat you find and look for them.  They are out in the open on these flats and will hit a nice senko or any other slow falling bait.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/22/08 at 15:04:45
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,

You obviously didn't fish the Open. Because if you did you would have noticed the water temps were near 60 in some areas during practice. And there is allways fish who spawn early. Heck I have caught smallies in that lake in 47 degree water that were on beds.

Russ

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/22/08 at 20:13:26
Quote Print Post  
I should re-phrase my comment - I find it highly more likely that the major portion of the fish will be spawning at this full moon and in June.  I would agree that some fish may have spawned early, but having spent the past week-end all over that place, I did not observe any bass fry in the locations I would normally expect them to be.

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #9 - 05/22/08 at 23:56:04
Quote Print Post  
I have read in more then one place that Bass who spawn early almost never produce offspring unless the water warms very quickly. I do not this we are in danger of water warming to quickly this year Cry

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/22/08 at 23:58:45
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,

I would agree with you there. That I believe the majority have not spawned as of yet but are in the process these last two weeks. Sure you can always find late and early spawners, and with my past experience on that lake the last 20 years have found a small minority of fish spawning in April and some as early as March. It all depends on the weather and the moon phase. Mark and I stuck a 4.95 largie during the Open on a bed and have in many years caught smallies in less than 2 feet of water in Lind Coulee that were on beds.

Early to mid May on that lake just screams pre-spawn, spawn, and post spawn.

Thats the neat thing about the holes you can find them in May in all phases.

Russ

IP Logged

Flippin Technician
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/23/08 at 02:50:04
Quote Print Post  
I will say that everyone here is right to one degree or another. I know that Russ and I have caught more than a few largies on beds at the holes in 50-52 degree water. It is not something that you see everyday but every once in a while it is better to be lucky and stumble on one because you are paying attention to what is going on around your boat. It beats discounting the possibility and just passing by a well hidden bed because you have preconditioned yourself to believing that a bass won't spawn in 50 degree water. On the other extreme last year Russell and I found some fish on beds in August. I won't tell you where because it is a place most people never go and I have to keep at least one spot to myself. I guess the thing I am trying to say is always be open to running into anything. It will make you a better fisherman in the long run. I once caought a 7+ largie on Lake Sawyer in less than 5 feet of water in Early February in water that was less than 42 degress with ice on many places on the lake. I was shocked that my foray into the cold shallows that time of year worked. It only happened because nothing else was working so I tried something unortodoxed. It worked that day becuse I was being open to all the possibilities. Do the same and it might just work for you when nothing else is panning out.

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #12 - 05/28/08 at 20:18:00
Quote Print Post  
Does anyone know if there is going to be a tournament this weekend?  I'm thinking about going this Sunday/Monday.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

2000subaru
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/28/08 at 21:24:00
Quote Print Post  
Y2SAYS wrote on 05/28/08 at 20:18:00:
Does anyone know if there is going to be a tournament this weekend?  I'm thinking about going this Sunday/Monday.

Looks like there might be a federation youth tourney this weekend.  Check out his link for info... http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/contests/2008contests.htm

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/29/08 at 03:25:03
Quote Print Post  
Yeah, that is what I am fishing.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo