Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sammamish Lately?? (Read 6007 times)
Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Sammamish Lately??
05/02/08 at 00:24:20
Quote Print Post  
Anyone got any reports from Lake Sammamish???
I was thinking of going up and fishing Lake Sammamish and maybe Washington this weekend.

-Nick

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Re: Sammamish Lately??
Reply #1 - 05/02/08 at 05:01:28
Quote Print Post  
Samammish,  Long Lake bass club had a tournament on Sam last saturday.  I was on WA and fished HARD and got 1 SM at 2.5 lbs, it was tough. (Smitty how did you do?)  LLBC day 1, 18 anglers and 1 guest, no one weighed a fish.  I'm not sure about day two, maybe they called it off because I don't know the official results.  Take your pick ! 
Why not Lawrence?  Grin  Someone is going to catch a HUGE fish.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #2 - 05/03/08 at 04:13:21
Quote Print Post  
Som and I will try Sammamish on Monday.  Hopefully the fish will active.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #3 - 05/06/08 at 06:53:32
Quote Print Post  
Caught 3 smallies today:  1.5, 3.3, and a 3.6.  Caught on dropshot, jerkbait and crankbait from 15-28ft of water.  Water temp starting to warm up.  Largies were cruising the shallows.  No smallmouth beds that we saw.

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/06/08 at 23:28:58
Quote Print Post  
I was out there for a little bit on saturday and most of the day Sunday.

Saturday caught a 2.5 lb. Smallie in 18 Ft. on a drop shotted KGM Slinky, weather was pretty bad.

Sunday Caught a 3 lber and a 2 lber, both in about 15 feet on a dropshot slinky and a DT Hula Grub on a FB head. Nice warm weather w/ wind later in the day, sunny all day. The North end is LOADED with cruising Largemouth, all were extremely skittish in the clear water, only had one actually take interest.

I feel like I should have spent more time in deeper water. But I didnt due to seeing some good sized perch schools in 5-15 feet.

Also, the Salmon Smolt are all over the place!!! I do not have that much experience on Sammamish and have only caught 1 smallie ever focusing on smolt schools.

Do the smallies ever REALLY focus on the schools of smolt???

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #5 - 05/07/08 at 00:42:54
Quote Print Post  
Last year I caught a smallmouth on a topwater when I saw the smolt jumping and yesterday I caught the second fish on a trout color jerkbait around the smolt.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/07/08 at 00:49:16
Quote Print Post  
They definitely focus on schools of smolts! When you see smolts jumping try twitching a jerkbait or slim 5" senko over the school... even over deep water.

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/07/08 at 02:55:11
Quote Print Post  
Yeah, I was trying a trout colored X-Rap through the schools to no avail and didnt get bit. Bu I could see how there are SOOO MANY schools of Smolt in Sammamish right now that you have to hit the right school that is getting chomped on by the smallies.

IP Logged

Ray
Forum Member

Reply #8 - 05/27/08 at 16:24:42
Quote Print Post  
Hit Sam on Monday and got 5 smallies with the largest 3.2lbs.  Got a few off beds in the North end of the lake.  All came on sand colored bolt grubs.  Smolt are everwhere....
Ray

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #9 - 06/03/08 at 04:22:47
Quote Print Post  
Som and I hit Samm. after the Potholes and managed 7.  Som caught a 1lb smallie and a 2lb largie off a bed.  I managed a 2.0, 3.0, 3.0, 3.2, and 3.3lb smallmouth dropshotting between 15-20ft.  Water temp was sitting around 60-62.

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #10 - 06/17/08 at 04:40:26
Quote Print Post  
Took my nephew to his first bass fishing outing and he managed to get a 3lb largie on a bed to bite after nearly 2 hours of battle.  I really wanted the female which was double the size of the male, but she wasn't interested in anything we threw at her.  I couldn't get any smallies today.

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #11 - 07/07/08 at 01:01:01
Quote Print Post  
Went out to the lake today to teach my hunny how to fish, in preparation for the J&J tourney on Roosevelt, after a good 3 hours of trying different techniques, she finally got a dink on a tube, which by the way was her first bass ever. The water temp was reading 70 degrees but was having no luck in finding anything bigger than 10 inches. But, did not think it would be so difficult in trying to explain different methods of fishing to her. Any one got any tips I could use to make it easier for her and me?

Thomas

« Last Edit: 07/07/08 at 03:46:42 by bassin9 »  
IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #12 - 07/07/08 at 02:58:41
Quote Print Post  
Patience Thomas....Patience.
Tie up three rods for her....
1). A Senko...weightless. For docks trees etc....
2). A Splitshot rig. for Brush Hogs, senkos and lizards...
3). A Texas Rig. for tubes...lizards worms etc...

These rigs can catch most anything in our lakes and dont cause folks to get overwelmed with the selections and constant re-tieing....she will fish these and when SHE is ready she will want to try more things. After you set her up with the three rigs just let her know how to fish them and that she should switch back and forth through the three.....women just seem to need to find what works for them so give her the run of your plastics and I guarantee she will find a hideous gaudey colored rig that will indeed catch more fish than you!!! Wink

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/07/08 at 05:33:40
Quote Print Post  
You only need one rig to make her successful at first... a carolina rigged lizard or tube, especially for Roosevelt. Two years ago, that is all my wife used in the flat across from Plum Point. We won the tourney and she caught most of the fish. No casting, just lightly thumbing the spool to drop the rig to the bottom.

Stu

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/07/08 at 10:53:40
Quote Print Post  
The only thing I would add would be some kind of reaction bait, either a small shallow-running crankbait or a spinnerbait tied on a spinning rig. This is simply because I found that Nancy got bored just "dragging" lures around and needed to be a little more active to keep her interested. At least this will keep your wife active and she can practise casting, overhand and sidearm.

The other thing with soft plastics is to show her the action (in clear, shallow water, a pool or even a bathtub) so she can see how a small twitch of the rod can make a lure dance, especially a Senko, or dropshot.

Faz

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo