Normal Topic Duck Lake (Read 2508 times)
Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Duck Lake
07/19/08 at 23:18:07
Quote Print Post  
Fished Duck Lake this week on wednesday and thursday, water temp was at 67. The lake had been treated w/herbicides about a month ago according to the locals, wasn't blade of vegitation left alive in the lake and canals. The water color was very stained due to the decaying vegitation. In the 2 days I had one bite, was about a 3 lber that came unbuttoned close to the boat.  It came on a black w/blue fleck tube.  Was very disapointed to find the lake in this state of decay. Even the grass carp weren't active like normal.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Ray
Forum Member

Re: Duck Lake
Reply #1 - 07/20/08 at 00:50:24
Quote Print Post  
Rodney, I am bummed to hear that.  We are planning a trip to Ocean Shores in early august and  now I am having second thoughts about bringing the boat.

So what do the bass do when the weeds get killed off like that?

Thanks for the report
Ray

IP Logged

Flippin Technician
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/21/08 at 19:30:17
Quote Print Post  
Take a look at what happened to silver a few years back. Once the weeds were eradicated by the carp. Fishing became very tough. I think it still is compared to when there was grass around. I believe that this senario will make it even tougher. All of that decaying vegitation will leave the water very depleted of oxygen. That will stress the fish and cause them to be, for the most part, very inactive. I am no fisheries biologist but that is what I believe will happen based on many readings on the subject over the years. I will be interested to see how the fishing goes down there. I have a friend that lives down there and he tells me that the cat-tails have survived. If that is the case I imagine that the fish will cling to what cover its there. I have never fished it but if there is wood around that would be a bet to hold fish too. I would like to hear from anyone that ventures down there to let us know what is going on with the fishing.

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/22/08 at 03:12:06
Quote Print Post  
Did anyone give you a hard time fishing down there?  I know the club had issues with the city I believe a few years ago and we decided not to go there anymore?  Would be nice to see if they changed their minds on how they treat clubs?  As for the loss of vegetation, it's sad that the biologists or whomever decide to kill lakes here.  I didn't see a problem at Duck Lake.  Probably the people who live around it more than ever, but then I could be completely wrong.  Give Chris(UW GUY) a buzz, he is our resident fisheries guy and he may have some great input on why, etc.    

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #4 - 07/22/08 at 05:23:37
Quote Print Post  
 I first fished this lake 3 tourneys with the previous club I used to be in, and have gone down several times and fished on my own, only once did I hear a negative comment against us/me.  This comment was made by a home owner to another member fishing his dock when I was on plane and this person said I was breaking the lake speed limit. Well GPS speed was 33 mph, yes bass boats look fast on water, I've allways keep my speed at or under the lake speed limit of 35. I've had lots positive interaction with the home owners down there, never been personaly approached by any law enforcement officers while at the city park or on the water.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/23/08 at 00:41:08
Quote Print Post  
Chuck and others,

My understanding is that typically weed control is joint decision made by lakeside home owners, the Department of Ecology, and the Department of Fish and Wildlife. Ecology is responsible for water quality and Fish and Wildlife is, of course, responsible for fish management. This may not be true in the case of Duck Lake, but I have seen cases in the past where lakes were treated for weeds and WDFW didn't seem to have a lot of input into the process. Why this is, I don't know.

As to why fishing tends to go bad in the years after major weed kills, that can be for several reasons:

- Like the technician said, in the near future there could be some oxygen problems caused by rotting vegetation, especially in a shallow lake like Duck that doesn't get a lot of wind action in the canals. But, this effect wouldn't last that long after the weeds have decayed completely, and there would be areas of the lake where the oxygen is fine.

- Once the weeds are gone, juvenile fish and small baitfish don't have anywhere to hide, so their survival tends to go down. If you can't grow small bass, they won't be big in the future. I think this was a big problem at Silver Lake.

- Water clarity can also go way down because the weeds aren't there to stabilize the lake bottom sediments and keep them from roiling around. Also, since more sunlight is hitting the water, there could be a chance that more algae blooms and clouds the water.

There could be other things as well, but I think the above list are major reasons.

Chris

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/24/08 at 01:57:08
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Chris (SARGE).  That was some good poop........I mean information.  I didn't realize that the WDOW didn't have alot of input.  That's interesting.....Good info anyway.

Chuck P

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo