Normal Topic Chelan / Wapato (Read 3859 times)
marktfd88
Ex Member

Chelan / Wapato
07/02/07 at 14:57:32
Quote Print Post  
Hit Chelan and Wapato this weekend with the family.  Got out on Chelan about 10:30 on Saturday and went to Wapato Pt.  3rd cast yeilded a fat 5lb'er.  God I love this lake.  Went to my 2nd area and the wife got a nice 2.5lb on a drop shot.  Hit my 3rd spot and bam another 5lb'er.  We were getting beat up from all the boat traffic and decided to run up lake to look around.  Fished numerous spots up lake.  Produced nothing but dinks.  Saturday night went out on Wapato for an hour of top water.  Got 5 little guys, and managed to miss a 5lber, that tried to take the topwater plug out of the mouth of the 1 lber that I had hooked.  Must be a theme for this weekend   Cheesy.  I feel your pain also BassAholic.  Sunday morning hit Wapato and got 6 in three hrs.  1 at 5.5lb, 2 at 3.5, and 3 little guys.  Must have seen a dozen largemouth the 5 - 7 lb class.  That lake has more big fish than any other lake I have every seen.   Had 3 fish in the 5lb class sitting under one bush.  The key to getting them to hit, was throwing really BIG baits.  10in power worm or 8 in Senko's.

Mark

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Re: Chelan / Wapato
Reply #1 - 07/02/07 at 18:40:08
Quote Print Post  
Great report Mark.  I need to plan a trip like that.  Where did you stay, and how soon in advance did you make your reservations?  A lady on another site caught two 7's out of Wapato in the same weekend.  I will be on that lake this Sept you can bet on that.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/02/07 at 18:55:27
Quote Print Post  
Hey Chris,

I've found that the Apple Inn in Chelan is a decent place to stay. It is clean and has a good location. As far as I know, it is the cheapest place in town, and generally it is available on short notice. There is also a restaurant next door that I think opens at 5am.

The other Chris

IP Logged

Chad S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/03/07 at 03:53:55
Quote Print Post  
I just talked to my dad, and he just pulled a 6.5lb largie by his scale out of wapato. According to the americanbass scale ours is a half pound light, so the fish might be closer to 7lbs. Nonetheless, a toad and it was caught on a wave worms tiki stick, not topwater.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/03/07 at 03:54:19
Quote Print Post  
Mark,

Your Wapato experience sounds like the one I had last year on that lake 5 casts in a row yielded 23lbs.

Love that Lake as well.

Russ

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/11/07 at 01:16:08
Quote Print Post  
Just got back from fishing Chelan for two days best 5 Smallies are you sitting down-25+ lbs. I stuck 5 over 5lbs and the wife hits the lake with me for an hour today and sticks a 6 even. GPSed some spots for future event.

Can't wait for September. Too bad we are not fishing here for Jack & Jill it was on fire.

Russ

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #6 - 07/31/07 at 21:32:52
Quote Print Post  
Last minute research as I will there tomorrow and Thursday.  So how deep are they in?  I'll be throwing topwater at first, but what water depth should I be looking at once the sun is up?

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/01/07 at 03:56:49
Quote Print Post  
Says,
  Top water on big flats to start with.  Once the sun in up look for shade from boats anchored out in 15 to 20 ft deep.  Also follow the weedline.  It starts around 18ft and goes deeper from there.   Most fish will be hitting early in 10 ft of water and then go as deep as 30ft later in the day.

Mark

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #8 - 08/01/07 at 04:30:48
Quote Print Post  
Me and my girlfriend hit Chelan the saturday and sunday of the J&J.  We didn't do so well, probably from all the fish full from eating all night during the full moon.  We hit Wapato point at 5am both days, only 3 topwater fish, 1 3/4 lbers.  I did think to fish the shade from all the anchored boats so I'm glad to see you said that Mark, I was doing something right.  It was tough fishing for us !

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #9 - 08/03/07 at 22:42:40
Quote Print Post  
Tough day on Chelan.  It was our first time there and we launched from Old Mill Park and worked a number of different points with topwater and caught 4 from 1.5-2.6lbs.  We took a break and went to Wapato and nothing there for us.  Went back to Chelan that evening and was only to get one, 2.3lbs.  I missed one on a shakey head and had other blow-ups, but did not connect.  My friend had a pig on that bent his 3/0 leadhead gammi hook and got off.  The next morning was dissapointing with only a couple of small blow-ups and we left there at 8am and headed back.  I don't do a whole lot of topwater fishing, but it was amazing to see these fish hit the lure at 30+ft.  We worked weedlines, rip raps, docks up to 50ft deep and wasn't able to produce a pattern.  Next time I go I'll probably hit it earlier like in June or early July like you guys did.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo