Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lake Tapps Boat Launch (Read 17890 times)
REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Re: Lake Tapps Boat Launch
Reply #15 - 02/13/07 at 04:13:21
Quote Print Post  
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2007  *  THENEWSTRIBUNE.COM/NEWS/LOCAL  *  SECTION B

Higher cost for nonresidents on Lake Tapps expected to raise revenue.

Boat access to Lake Tapps in Bonney Lake likely will cost more for nonresidents.  A higher fee and an automated system are in the works.

By Mike Archbold  The News Tribune

By Memorial Day, the boat ramp at Allan Yorke Park on Lake Tapps in Bonney Lake will have an automated launch system and a higher fee.

The City Council is expected next week to adopt a launch fee for nonresidents of $20, up from $12.

At the only other boat launch on the lake, Pierce County charges $10 to launch and $7 to park at North Lake Tapps Park.  An attendant takes the fees.

Gary Leaf, Bonney Lake's community services director, and the city is still considering the details but probably will set a $10 fee to put a boat in the water and $10 to take it back out.

City residents still will be able to buy an annual pass for $25 but that won't buy them unlimited use.  Leaf said the Council is considering a set number of launches for those passes, perhaps 40.

The system calls for hydraulic metal posts that will go up and down after boaters pay a fee at a kiosk by credit card, debit card or pass.  No cash will be exchanged.  The posts will be placed at water's edge in the two launch lanes.

Boaters will be told to first stage their vehicle and trailer in front of the posts and then pay the fee.  The barriers will drop once the fee is paid and then rise again automatically after the trailer leaves the water.

Leaf said the system is similar to one used on Lake Washington in Kirkland for the past 10 years.

The Bonney Lake City Council is expected to award the contract for the $80,000 plus system at its Feb. 13 meeting to the low bidder, Netversant, a Bonney Lake-based security firm.

Leaf said the automated system will replace the summer attendant and capture boaters who used to come in the morning or evening when the attendant was gone.  Sometimes the attendant, usually a teenager hired for the summer, missed work and boaters launched for free.

The city felt it was losing money, Leaf said.  In 2006, it collected $32,200 on about 1,500 launches.  The revenue has its own line item in the city's parks budget.

"My assumption is the revenues will be higher," he said.

Leaf estimated that 80 percent of the boaters are nonresidents.

On busy days, he said the city still might put an attendant at the ramp to keep the launch area orderly.  There is little parking at the park itself and boaters end up leaving their rigs along streets in the area.  Leaf said there is a small launch waiting area reserved along Bonney Lake Boulevard. 

Leaf said nonresident boaters will be able to buy a single pass for $20 or an annual pass at City Hall.  An annual pass with 20 launches would cost $400, he said.

Mike Archbold:  253-597-8692   mike.archbold@thenewstribue.com

Folks,
Last year I was able to put a meeting together with myself, 4 other fishermen. (none from WBC)(1 from Pierce Co Bass Club, my dad and my hunting partner and my musky fishing partner)and Kathy Smith(Pierce Co Parks Dept Director)and some of her park managers. I asked for attendance from WBC, Pierce Co Bass Club, Puyallup Hawg Hunters and Capitol City Bassmasters but no one was interested. Never even got a phone call or email.
Despite the lack of attendance we were able to persuade Kathy Smith and Dennis ? (Pierce Co Park manager at Lk Tapps) to open the gate early(6am) to allow fishermen the opportunity to fish this magnificent lake before the skiers got out. This early opening was enjoyed by many untill  after Labor Day weekend. I'm hoping this year I can persuade them to do the same but staying open later would also be a benefit.
Where else can you go and catch 30 smallies every day up to 5 lbs. plus a chance at a tiger musky. No place that I know of.
Are the members and directors of WBC to busy fishing to fight for a lake in their own backyard???
I fought for over 10 years, writing letters, typing emails, mailing signature lists etc untill the Kapowsin launch was built. I'll fight till I win on the Lk Tapps issue also. Sometimes I feel like a lone ranger though.
I just read some posts on the WBC website concerning the Lk Tapps issue. I hope some of these individuals do something about it besides talking amongst themselves.

Go to   http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/abtus/ourorg/parks/parks.htm ;  and click on Contact Us. Email Kathy Smith. Ask for early and late hours of operation at the Pierce Co Park Boat Launch to accomodate fishermen. After all, we paid for half of that launch through IAC funding. We certainly should be able to use it at peak fishing times.
If anyone needs more info or would like to get more involved, email me at deadeyemark@comcast.net
Mark

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 02/13/07 at 04:26:20
Quote Print Post  
Mark, I appreciate your passion for this lake.  Unfortunately I have never fished this lake because the only time I ran up there the gate was closed so I went elsewhere.  I think part of the problem is that this isn't a public waterway (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).  I know that we were bullied from fishing Duck Lake because the city felt they owned the lake.  Maybe what this issue needs is a large organized group like the Federation and all its members to address this issue.  I personally think that a large number of pickets or a petition for an intiative may be in order.

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/20/07 at 05:54:07
Quote Print Post  
A little update:  Looks like I got lucky and sent my complaints to the right folks in Oly. Sounds like Bonney Lk would be breaking the law.

Mike Archbold: 253-597-8692 mike.archbold@thenewstribue.com

To: mike.archbold@thenewstribune.com
Cc: KKRAVIT@co.pierce.wa.us (Kathy Kravit-Smith)
Subject: Lake Tapps
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 03:33:24 +0000
Mike, This was forwarded to me because I've been trying to get some attention drawn to the boat launch problem on Lk Tapps.

The north end Pierce Co Park boat launch does NOT charge $17.00, it charges $10.00. I think this needs to be addressed since the Bonney Lk launch fee might be based upon other fees in the area. I'm on the Interagency Committee mentioned. I'm a citizen member of the Boating Facilities Committee and I also use both launches at Lk Tapps a couple dozen times a year for fishing.
If you have any questions concerning thisk, please call me.
Mark Wells 253-841-0171

--) 
Charges for boat launch unfair, agency says

MIKE ARCHBOLD; The News Tribune
Published: March 9th, 2007 01:00 AM

Bonney Lakeâ€(tm)s proposed boat launch fees at Allan York Park on Lake Tapps might have hit a snag.
As a result, city residents who boat on the lake, and who traditionally have
paid less than nonresidents to use the cityâ€(tm)s launch, might have to pay a lot
more than they do now.

The Washington State Office of the Interagency Committee for Outdoor Recreation
notified Bonney Lake that under state law, the city cannot charge nonresidents a
boat launch fee thatâ€(tm)s more than double what it charges residents.

Residents, however, have been enjoying a good deal for many years. For $25, they
have received unlimited use for the season. Nonresidents have had to pay $12 per
launch.

Thatâ€(tm)s not in line with the state code, Susan Zemek, communications director
for the committee, said Wednesday.

The issue of fairness arose when the Bonney Lake City Council announced last
month its intention to raise its boat launch fee from $12 to $20 for
nonresidents. The council said residents could still get a $25 seasonal permit
but the city would limit the number of launches to perhaps 40.

Zemek said the proposed resident permit fee would not meet state law.

She also noted the law requires the cityâ€(tm)s boat launch fee for nonresidents be
comparable to other public boat launch fees in the area since all taxpayers
contributed to the facility 35 years ago.

Pierce County currently charges $17, including $7 to park, at North Lake Tapps
Park, the only other boat launch on the lake.

Zemek said $20 would be considered comparable to the county fee of $17.

Consequently, Bonney Lake City Council members at a workshop earlier this week
wondered if they could simply charge resid e nts nothing and nonresidents $20.

Zemek, however, said that would not be in the spirit of the law because
nonresidents would still pay more than twice as much. The city has turned the
matter over to its attorney for review.

The outdoors committee distributes federal and state grants for parks. In the
last 40 years, it has distributed $789 million to 4,000 park and conservation
projects.

current fees

Residents: $25 for unlimited use for the season

Nonresidents: $12 per launch*

Mike Archbold: 253-597-8692

mike.archbold@thenewstribune.com

Mark Wells

IP Logged

Brian
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/28/07 at 06:42:09
Quote Print Post  
Awesome! I was so ticked when I was charged 10 bucks to launch last year. Good to see this!
Brian

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/28/07 at 16:50:46
Quote Print Post  
That's great news good job Mark.

Carlos

IP Logged

Justin
Forum Member

"I caught you a delicious
bass'

Reply #20 - 03/28/07 at 18:37:15
Quote Print Post  
Anyone fish here lately?

I am thinking about headed here this weekend.
What are some good spots on the lake for bass?
I have fished around the state park cove with not much luck..

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/28/07 at 22:47:44
Quote Print Post  
pretty sure the lake is still low.  buddy of mine said they were working on some pumps or something and wont raise the level until may  Angry.  but thats just heresay someone else may know more

troy

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #22 - 03/29/07 at 15:06:25
Quote Print Post  
Go to http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/uv?site_no=12101000 and can see the water level.

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 03/29/07 at 15:54:41
Quote Print Post  
Cool link Champ206! How's the fishing in Eastern WA these days?

Carlos

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 03/30/07 at 01:19:25
Quote Print Post  
Mark, good job.  Isn't it funny how all of these communities and cities always want to punish people who don't live on a waterway?  I look at these folks like I do at some of those around Kirkland, Mercer Island, Lake Washington, etc who think they own the water completely.  All we want to do is fish and mostly release and have a good time without getting the big weenie.  I commend you again for continuing the fight.  I don't get to fish the lake, however, you and I did fish it once together along time ago.  Maybe again one day.  I love it when somebody takes care of us and tells them to "STOPIT".

Later,

Chuck

IP Logged

2000subaru
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 02/22/08 at 23:02:10
Quote Print Post  
Just had one of the bollards come up under the front of my Subaru as it was being driven up the ramp.  Ripped into the oilpan pretty nicely.  Looks like the repair shop says motor replacement due to damage.   Cry    Hopefully the city will helo with damages.  So 1 month without my tow vehicle.

This sucks!

I wish I knew how to post photos.  Sorry to drag up an old post.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #26 - 02/23/08 at 00:05:06
Quote Print Post  
That does suck Chris......I would definetly take it to the city! They charge up the Ying-Yang for the "Privilage" to fish there so they can build a better ramp! Tongue

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 02/23/08 at 07:15:50
Quote Print Post  
Sorry to hear that this was about you, Chris. Saw this in the paper the other day. Looks like your Subaru fell on a gernade for the rest of us:

BONNEY LAKE: Launch your boat for free – for now – at Lake TappsTHE NEWS TRIBUNE Published: February 21st, 2008 01:00 AMLaunching a boat at the Lake Tapps boat ramp in Bonney Lake will be free until late spring. The metal posts that go up and down automatically at the ramp for a fee will be staying down.

Last week, one of the thick hydraulic bollards rose up too soon, cracking the oil pan of a vehicle that was too slow leaving the lake after dropping off a watercraft. The vehicle had to be towed away, officials said.

The cause of the malfunction is the low lake level. The launch system sensors are set to the normal recreational level of the lake. The much lower water level now means a vehicle on the ramp is farther down the ramp. The sensors misread how long it took the vehicle to exit last weekend.

The credit card-activated system was installed last July along with a higher $17 fee.

Bonney Lake Parks Director Gary Leaf told the Bonney Lake City Council on Tuesday that the launch system will be turned off until the lake fills back up for boating season.

(On-line at: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/bonneylake/story/288980.html )

Stu

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #28 - 02/23/08 at 16:11:42
Quote Print Post  
I believe its time more of us all get involved in makeing a statement to the county parks people. I was the one person that attented a meeting that Mark Wells mentioned in an earlier post. Now as a member of Western Bass Club, every one voice that is present do make a difference.  I understand we are going to have a joint event with the muskey club of Marks, looking forward to it.  So don't give up on Lakes Tapps, its a good local fishery and lets support the County Park.  

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

2000subaru
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 02/24/08 at 05:21:55
Quote Print Post  
Thanks STU.  Do I get a medal or something Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo