Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lake Tapps Boat Launch (Read 17877 times)
champ206
Forum Member

Lake Tapps Boat Launch
02/07/07 at 15:10:25
Quote Print Post  
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2007  *  THENEWSTRIBUNE.COM/NEWS/LOCAL  *  SECTION B

Higher cost for nonresidents on Lake Tapps expected to raise revenue.

Boat access to Lake Tapps in Bonney Lake likely will cost more for nonresidents.  A higher fee and an automated system are in the works.

By Mike Archbold  The News Tribune

By Memorial Day, the boat ramp at Allan Yorke Park on Lake Tapps in Bonney Lake will have an automated launch system and a higher fee.

The City Council is expected next week to adopt a launch fee for nonresidents of $20, up from $12.

At the only other boat launch on the lake, Pierce County charges $10 to launch and $7 to park at North Lake Tapps Park.  An attendant takes the fees.

Gary Leaf, Bonney Lake's community services director, and the city is still considering the details but probably will set a $10 fee to put a boat in the water and $10 to take it back out.

City residents still will be able to buy an annual pass for $25 but that won't buy them unlimited use.  Leaf said the Council is considering a set number of launches for those passes, perhaps 40.

The system calls for hydraulic metal posts that will go up and down after boaters pay a fee at a kiosk by credit card, debit card or pass.  No cash will be exchanged.  The posts will be placed at water's edge in the two launch lanes.

Boaters will be told to first stage their vehicle and trailer in front of the posts and then pay the fee.  The barriers will drop once the fee is paid and then rise again automatically after the trailer leaves the water.

Leaf said the system is similar to one used on Lake Washington in Kirkland for the past 10 years.

The Bonney Lake City Council is expected to award the contract for the $80,000 plus system at its Feb. 13 meeting to the low bidder, Netversant, a Bonney Lake-based security firm.

Leaf said the automated system will replace the summer attendant and capture boaters who used to come in the morning or evening when the attendant was gone.  Sometimes the attendant, usually a teenager hired for the summer, missed work and boaters launched for free.

The city felt it was losing money, Leaf said.  In 2006, it collected $32,200 on about 1,500 launches.  The revenue has its own line item in the city's parks budget.

"My assumption is the revenues will be higher," he said.

Leaf estimated that 80 percent of the boaters are nonresidents.

On busy days, he said the city still might put an attendant at the ramp to keep the launch area orderly.  There is little parking at the park itself and boaters end up leaving their rigs along streets in the area.  Leaf said there is a small launch waiting area reserved along Bonney Lake Boulevard. 

Leaf said nonresident boaters will be able to buy a single pass for $20 or an annual pass at City Hall.  An annual pass with 20 launches would cost $400, he said.

Mike Archbold:  253-597-8692   mike.archbold@thenewstribue.com

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Re: Lake Tapps Boat Launch
Reply #1 - 02/07/07 at 15:31:21
Quote Print Post  
I hate Sawyer's $5, looks like I won't be going to Tapps.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/07/07 at 17:42:26
Quote Print Post  
That's Frickin' ridiculous!!!!!!!!!! Angry It's just greedy.

Carlos
« Last Edit: 02/08/07 at 00:18:24 by »  

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/07/07 at 19:15:59
Quote Print Post  
I'm pissed and that is saying mildly. What kind of greedy bastards are Tapps people becoming. There is absolutely no reason to charge these kinds of fee's what so ever. Tapps can forget my business Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
Russ

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #4 - 02/07/07 at 19:54:24
Quote Print Post  
Russ. Weren't you one of the early or late one to get out there. How often did you pay the $12.00? Most the people I know that fish the lake were early.  I bought a pass each year but I know I used it more than 40 time. It might just keep the water skiers and and water turders off the lake.
I wonder if I still lived there if my Home Owners Ass. dues will go down, Just dreaming.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/07/07 at 20:00:28
Quote Print Post  
Not very often!!! That is why I don't go there much. Now for $20. I should move back to Georgia and pay less than $2 bucks for ramping on any lake out there.

This is fraud and if it keeps up the boat will be for sale or I will take up eastern washington fishing only.

Russ
« Last Edit: 02/08/07 at 05:14:35 by StuK »  

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/07/07 at 21:38:49
Quote Print Post  
This kind of greediness really gets me. They are trying to make money off of a public park, and not just covering its costs. What's this about being able to buy a daily pass for $20 or an 20 passes for $400? Wow - thats like a value meal at McDonald's costing the same if you just bought everything separately. Thanks.

Cities and counties often forget some important facts about the lakes they provide access to:

- Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, paid through license fees and some general tax money, provides fish stocking and management, and there is plenty they are doing on Tapps (Tiger musky, trout, etc.)
- Washington Department of Ecology, paid through our general taxes and other fees, manages the water quality of the lake
- I don't know about the current state of dam management (no pun intended), but whoever (PUD?) manages the dam is keeping water in the hole!

All of these things are already being paid for by us and are what ultimately make the lake attractive. If you couldn't jump in the lake safely or catch a fish out of it, you're unlikely to visit it. The jurisdictions charging outrageous launch fees have nothing without these other agencies! That's my main argument against non-resident fees.

Sigh. If this trend keeps going, it sounds like it is going to be time for us to unite and contact our state representatives. I am leaning toward the belief that there need to be some limits set on fees for public launch accesses. We don't need our fees becoming like California.

Chris

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/07/07 at 23:15:54
Quote Print Post  
Sarge,

I agree that we need to start fighting harder on these issues.
russ

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/08/07 at 00:37:40
Quote Print Post  
As long as no one pursues the issue, quits visiting the lake, or just plain refuses to pay, nothing will ever be done.  What about people that live there?  They get access, 24/7 and yes they probably pay for that with the home purchase, assocation dues, etc.  But, we pay for the lake itself like Sarge stated in many ways.  Greedy, Greedy, Ba____ds.  Politicians should just be caught in a net, thrown away as unfit, and left to die due to their own netting................

The fishermen in this state already pay a over charged amount for fishing, and on top of that we get told everything we can't do on top of that.  Stop the netting, clean up the waters, slow down the mandatory taking of fish because it's some darn oudated treaty and get real.  We are all suppose to be Americans.  Let us fish to enjoy......My overzealous two cents worth.  I should not go there, it's just shameful....Sorry Lake Tapps, no visits from now on.  I remember the days when Fish and Wildlife or Fish and Game departments ran the lakes, etc and you launched your boat, no cost, just fish by the rules....Those were the days.........

CP

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #9 - 02/08/07 at 01:53:31
Quote Print Post  
I never paid the fees.  I just got there before anyone else and when loading the boat back up the attendants never said anything.  I thought 12 was a rip let alone 20.  Angry  Well it's safe to say there will be one less bass fisherman on Tapps.  Oh wait, I still don't have a boat and wouldn't be out there anyways. Embarrassed  Poor me.  Grin

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #10 - 02/08/07 at 03:41:25
Quote Print Post  
Oh well......when the dam gives way from mismanagement now that the Corps. are gone or the next Drought then they should have enough money for repairs....have never fished it....and as long as the city and their rude officers run things I will never fish it......my .02$ Tongue Cry

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/08/07 at 04:48:34
Quote Print Post  
first off wow $80,000 dollars for a kiosk and gate give me a break.  second of all at $20 bucks a pop no one will launch there.  if this money went into the park then the playground would be made of solid gold.  Tapps is an excellent smally fishery for those that fish it and it looks like i wont be fishing it anymore.  if the city council passes this then they are legally insane.  its not even a nice launch two lanes and no parking!  Plus it gave kids summer jobs. 

troy

IP Logged

champ206
Forum Member

Reply #12 - 02/08/07 at 13:24:30
Quote Print Post  
I lived there for years and always though it was a very under rated fishery. I do know people in the Lake Tapps area already pay the highest property taxes in Pierce County but sill $20.00 is outrageous.

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #13 - 02/09/07 at 02:46:18
Quote Print Post  
Fished Tapps once and it's a great lake, but not for $20!  Good thing I have a friend that lives on the lake otherwise no Tapps for me.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/09/07 at 15:23:51
Quote Print Post  
I am sorry that they did that, The local economy right around the lake will suffer  a little due to this, I bet you it cuts down on the amount of people on the lake, therefore less people overall. I think the Western Bass Club should write a letter to the people in charge of this proposal.

-Nick

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo