Normal Topic Lake Isabella (Read 2683 times)
basspro
Ex Member

Lake Isabella
03/07/08 at 00:36:15
Quote Print Post  
Has anyone ever fished Lake Isabella? I spoke to a guy named John who had just come off the lake and he said that there is both smallies and largies in the lake.

basspro

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Re: Lake Isabella
Reply #1 - 03/07/08 at 00:50:49
Quote Print Post  
Never been to Isabella.  I could probably ask someone on another site for you.  If you're in the area, might be worth checking out Mason.  You're going to need a hand at the boat ramp as its steep.  Alot of skiiers in the summer, but I've had good luck out there.  Clear water Largies.  I swear I have Fishing and hunting news mags from 10 yrs back that show huge Smallies from Mason, but haven't heard about them or seen them since.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/07/08 at 01:09:31
Quote Print Post  
Chris,

I have seen mason in the summer and its a ZOO there during that time. I was just down the street from Isabella making a sales call so I stopped by the ramp and talked to this guys who just got off the water. He said at its deepest at full pool its 22 feet and very shallow. Has some docks, but lots of grass and laydowns. Ramp wasn't great and parking was minimal. No speed limit either.

basspro

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #3 - 03/07/08 at 03:57:49
Quote Print Post  
Henry and I fished Isabella about three years ago and only caught 1 fish. It was a good one though.

Lot's of weeds on the bottom. The day we fished it was REAL windy.

Misunderstood

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #4 - 03/07/08 at 14:50:51
Quote Print Post  
I've fished it several times over the years.  Good topwater bite in the early morning a coupla of times.  Lots of vegetation like mike said.  some wood and docks.  I caught a nice 3 lb LM on a crankbait along the very defined weed edge on the west end.  That was the largest I've seen come out of there.  That lake has always intrigued me. Undecided

Smitty Wink
« Last Edit: 03/13/08 at 13:43:35 by DUNE HOPPER »  

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/13/08 at 03:24:32
Quote Print Post  
Smitty's storyin' again!  Wink  Quite a few years ago, Smitty, Phil Hudgens, myself, and another WBC member went to Isabella and Mason on a Saturday, taking in both lakes, with two boats. I boated a 4 lb 6 oz LM and weighed it in front of Phil and Smitty. It was caught roughly across from the boatlaunch, along the far shore, where the bank started to get less steep. Lucky Strike G-4, in "Camo" (aka PB&J).

We went on over to Mason about noon, and it was indeed a zoo. Smitty and Phil stopped on the first point, we stopped on the second point, and my backseater had a dink smallie in the boat before I got the trolling motor down. Lots of dink Smallies. We saw Smitty go by, and after awhile, went looking for them. Found 'em, fishing a dock on a flat, and had a yak. Asked which way they were going, if they were done with this particular dock, and got the ok. I skipped my camo G-4 under the dock and scored a 3-3 LM with them watching.  That was a fun weekend! We should do it again, huh, Smitty? Grin  

I went back to Isabella once, but didn't find any significant fish. Haven't been back to Mason. Smitty and I went to Nehwatzel once, and I know he's been back since. That's a better looking lake and less likely to be zoo'd up.  I need to go to Spencer and Long....
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #6 - 03/13/08 at 04:09:48
Quote Print Post  
Mason is fun to me.  I'm used to Lake WA wakes by now, so the skiiers were no sweat.  That lake holds some nice fish.  I had my boat docked up at my friends cabin and this jet skiier kept coming by looking at my boat.  I eventually talked to him, he said he had a Triton on a lift.  His best for the lake was 7 and 3/4 lb LM.  I've yet to see a Smallie from Mason, maybe they are all gone.  It looks like its all LM and squawfish now.  I'll be going this year again, for some fishin and play time.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #7 - 03/13/08 at 13:55:28
Quote Print Post  
OK, OK, let me restate. That 3 lb LM was the largest I remembered seeing caught in Isabella.  I haven't got the memory Steve has for fishin trips 10 years ago.  Particularly if someone else is catching bigger ones than me! Grin
I do remember us going on up to Mason for the afternoon.  I remember the difficult launch and all the water lice er jet skis.  I also remeber him catching that bass from a dock right after Phil & I cleared it. Tongue
Nehwatzel is also an interesting lake, especially in the spring.  I think Doug Booth fishes it fairly regularly.  A few years ago John Holland and I caught quite a few from the shallow end during the spawn. Smiley I've seen some big LM cruisers in that pond, but getting them to hit anything was another story. Embarrassed
Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo