Normal Topic Full moon? (Read 2926 times)
Troy
Ex Member

Full moon?
10/10/06 at 23:34:19
Quote Print Post  
i have a question for you guys.  i know everyone says fishing is best around a full moon, but after a non-stellar day of fishing last saturday with a full moon that night  it got me thinking.  do you think that on our clear lakes we have in the state that bass will gorge at night during times of bright nights.  the reason i say this is every bass i caught saturday was pukin baitfish up everywhere and most seemed not willing to bite at all. 

So my question to you guys is do you think the full moon hinders the bite during summer/fall/winter months?

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Full moon?
Reply #1 - 10/11/06 at 02:52:27
Quote Print Post  
I would say helps on a cloudy full moon as the fish have adapted to night feeding but have to day feed when cloudy.........
The opposite would occur if it was a clear night...my 02$

IP Logged

Lucky_13
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/26/06 at 17:42:11
Quote Print Post  
Hi Guys, I'm a new member, first meeting attended in Nov., so I'm a little late in replying. 

You have an interesting theory here.  First of all, I always remember my Dad telling me that fishing was supposed to be best leading up to, and during a full moon.  After was not worth the time.  I've never heard anyone speculate on what that was all about. 

What you're saying makes a lot of sense.  Assuming that you're right, it would follow that after the full moon, the fish would have already gorged and wouldn’t be too interested in chasing down another meal.  This jives with what my Dad said, that fishing was better in the waxing moon than the waning.

Good thoughts to consider.  I’ll watch this more closely in the future and will expect the full moon thing is more relevant when the nights are clear.

IP Logged

shasts
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/29/06 at 04:54:26
Quote Print Post  
Troy,

If you think about it, you answer your own question....If they were tossing bait fish, you probably want to use minnows of some sort. I usually attribute these times to just not getting it right that day.
  Everything I have read, heard, etc is 3 days before and 3 days after the full moon is the best fishing, if you note in the various magazines that have lunar/astro tables they always identify best fishing within these times.
I saw a study of all the world record fish caught, ( all species) and the vast majority were caught  in this window. I belive it was J. Henshalls book of black bass but don't quote me on that. The article showed  probably 85% of the world record fish caught in and around full moons.

Some more evidence... how many large tournaments are in this window..... for a reason I suspect.

As far as whether they are too full, keep in mind that feeding is only one of several reasons bass bite. Roland Martin claims the following 8 other reasons, Reflex Actions, anger, protective instinct, curiosity, competition, territorial instinct, killer instinct, and ingnorance. Buy them all if you like but I feel pretty certain it isn't just cause their feeding, and I would question if a a bass ever gets full.

Interesting topic though.... To support your contention, I was once up at LakeCushman  right after a hatch of some bug that was like a carpet on the lake... I fished for about 4 hours without a trout bite, even once.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo