Normal Topic Removing trolling motor help (Read 1547 times)
Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Removing trolling motor help
09/11/06 at 17:54:23
Quote Print Post  
I purchased a new trolling motor and my brother and I was trying to take the old one out yesterday.  We didn't get far because we weren't able to reach the nut that's deep inside the hull.  The screws that we cant get out are the ones that are right at the front of the bow.  What special tools do we need to reach them?

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: Removing trolling motor help
Reply #1 - 09/11/06 at 18:22:31
Quote Print Post  
Y2,

That depends on which trolling motor you have. Now if it is a MG there will be 4-Jack nuts that the screws thread into and a nylon insert lock nut attached at the bottom of the thread. You have to unscrew the front panel to beable to reach them. Most of the screws are phillips drive so you will need a phillips drive screw driver to loosen them while holding a wrench below on the nuts. Or vice a versa whichever is easier. The nuts are normally 1/4-20 thread and the wrench size you will need for the nut is 7/16.

Hope this helps,
Russ

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/13/06 at 01:59:49
Quote Print Post  
I can't reach the nuts that are holding the screws.  I called Anglers marine and they told me there is a special tool that's required.  So, I'm just going to have them do it.  Kinda sucks to spend money on something you should be able to do yourself.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/13/06 at 02:32:38
Quote Print Post  
AHA! Fell for the old "There is a special tool "ploy huh?
I believe you can also use a long rathet extension and let it lock up against the cap or hull from underneath as you turn the screw from the top...it is a wrestling match depending on the room and access. Now I hav'nt done it for awhile but that is what we did with my Gambler.

p.s. make sure they do not stress fracture the mounts on the fibreglass cap.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/13/06 at 02:46:38
Quote Print Post  
The special tool, yeah right, that would be them laying  Roll Eyeson your deck to reach there arm in with the long ratchet to get it off or on. Been there done that on many occasions.
Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo