Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Braided Line Failure ? (Read 17111 times)
S._Basser
Ex Member

Re: Braided Line Failure ?
Reply #15 - 06/24/06 at 23:40:56
Quote Print Post  
If you are going to use braid (for its sensetivity), then you really need to use a softer rod and/or back off the drag. The superlines have no stretch, thus no shock strength. You can't whack 'em as hard as with monofil, because something's got to give. Usually, it's the knot, as you've found out. You have choices, so pick one or two, and catch fish. I'd use the Palomar knot, and back off the drag, #1. Next, I'd back off the rod power. I'm not a big fan of any of the Superlines, but trying some here and there. I see no need for it on baitcasters. Holding the line ahead of the reel is a good way to increase sensetivity without using braid, and without investing a fortune in expensive rods.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 07/05/06 at 04:55:13
Quote Print Post  
after a few days of experimenting, i have come to the conclusion that it was the knot that was failing.

i now use the palomar knot as most people suggested.

KNOT INFO:
- http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=ww...

i try to retie every hour or so, if not more as i put my line through alot of torture.

since changing the line, i have yet to encounter any failures.

i will post more info as time progresses

thanks

IP Logged

Brian
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 07/21/06 at 19:36:38
Quote Print Post  
Here is a spin to the polimar knot when using braid. When tying the polimar knot,just when  you are making the overhand Granny knot with the loop, run the same loop another twist again, and then bring the hook thru the open end. Be sure to wet the line when tightening, but it works great. Give it a try.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo