Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Braided Line Failure ? (Read 17110 times)
T_Dot
Ex Member

Braided Line Failure ?
06/22/06 at 02:04:35
Quote Print Post  

INFO:
- http://www.powerpro.com/advantage/index.asp

BRAIDED LINE FAILURE ?

I recently started using powerpro line.  I love it, its round, and smooth as they say.  Im not afraid to place my bait anywhere.

My only concern is Ive already had 2 failures, where the line snaped @ the knot on the hookset.

Im using the fisherman's knot.

What could attribute to this kind of failure?  I retie constantly, but both failures where on a gamakatsu ewg hook.

Any tips?

Thanks

Smiley

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Re: Braided Line Failure ?
Reply #1 - 06/22/06 at 02:20:43
Quote Print Post  
Yea,
Try a polymar knot, that might help.  I quit using it last season.  This is just my two cents.  If you cannot count on it during a hook set using a typical knot, then too much risk for me.  I have tried them all and have returned to a high quality mono.  May lose some feel in deep water, but I trust my instincts much more than a know in co-poly's or braid.
KH

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/22/06 at 02:26:29
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
Yea,
Try a polymar knot, that might help.  I quit using it last season.  This is just my two cents.  If you cannot count on it during a hook set using a typical knot, then too much risk for me.  I have tried them all and have returned to a high quality mono.  May lose some feel in deep water, but I trust my instincts much more than a know in co-poly's or braid.
KH

thanks for the tips

i will try other knots to see what happens

im going to try it out for a little while longer, but will be more cautious.  i will be checking my knot strength everytime i fix the bait.

if it continues, i will definately post up news.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/22/06 at 03:54:02
Quote Print Post  
T-Dot,

Yep wetted palomar is one way to go on this. I have also used the double clinch (fishermans knot) as well as it works just as good, but must be wet as well when pulling tag end to tighten.

I too also switched back to mono. Mainly for flipping/Pitching in wood. Lost a Potholes tourney last year from using Power Pro in the sticks. Only use Power Pro on my skipping rod now.
Russ

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/22/06 at 04:12:17
Quote Print Post  
Depending on what application you are using it for, you may consider even heavier lb test. I used 30lb for pitchin and had one failure. 1 is too many in my book. If I was flipping stained water I would double that. Knots would probably hold better on thicker line and it won't affect the fish in dirtier water.

I also use the palomar. Tighten the knot nice and slow and be sure it is wet. Unless you are fishing vegetation, mono should suit you just fine. As Russ said, be careful around wood, it will cut into it and the fish will pull off.

I have used braid on spinning rods with a 15 ft mono leader. The blood knot that holds them together has never failed me. Plus you get some shock absorbtion from the mono but a little more sensitivity.  

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/22/06 at 04:46:10
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
T-Dot,

Yep wetted palomar is one way to go on this. I have also used the double clinch (fishermans knot) as well as it works just as good, but must be wet as well when pulling tag end to tighten.

I too also switched back to mono. Mainly for flipping/Pitching in wood. Lost a Potholes tourney last year from using Power Pro in the sticks. Only use Power Pro on my skipping rod now.
Russ

im really using it for tight, and big cover.  i also use it alot for skipping.  so i like the abuse it takes.

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/22/06 at 14:51:50
Quote Print Post  
I went through this when I started using PowerPro three years ago. The line is being cut when it is pulled into the gap of the hook eye during some hook sets. This is no reason to give up on PowerPro. The trick is to prevent the line from getting into the gap. With the heavy line you are using try a double polymar. Or do what I do to completely eliminate the problem. I tie a piece of 12 or 14 lb mono on to the eye hook making sure the knot rests in the eye gap. Result, zero lost fish in three years of hook sets. Here's a couple other PowerPro tips. Beware of hard hook sets using light wire hooks. You can and will break hooks. I switched to VMC hooks. If you use conventional line on some reels and PowerPro on others you will have to learn to make a big adjustment in the strength of the hook set. Also, when you buy PowerPro open several boxes, the color varies a lot.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/22/06 at 18:01:28
Quote Print Post  
TDOT,

If used in tight cover go to 20-25lb mono it works a lot better.
Russ

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/23/06 at 00:13:14
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
TDOT,

If used in tight cover go to 20-25lb mono it works a lot better.
Russ

thanks for the tip

its too thick for my spinning reel though.  do you suggest any alternatives, other than a baid casting reel?

thanks

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/23/06 at 00:14:16
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
I went through this when I started using PowerPro three years ago. The line is being cut when it is pulled into the gap of the hook eye during some hook sets. This is no reason to give up on PowerPro. The trick is to prevent the line from getting into the gap. With the heavy line you are using try a double polymar. Or do what I do to completely eliminate the problem. I tie a piece of 12 or 14 lb mono on to the eye hook making sure the knot rests in the eye gap. Result, zero lost fish in three years of hook sets. Here's a couple other PowerPro tips. Beware of hard hook sets using light wire hooks. You can and will break hooks. I switched to VMC hooks. If you use conventional line on some reels and PowerPro on others you will have to learn to make a big adjustment in the strength of the hook set. Also, when you buy PowerPro open several boxes, the color varies a lot.

could you post up a pic, so i can get a visual of what you are talking about.

i might use your idea.

thanks

Smiley

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/23/06 at 03:13:09
Quote Print Post  
I use braided on most of my reels and have experienced the same during hookset.  What I have done to help this is to pass two lengths of line through the eye of the hook.  Keep the line doubled up through out the knot.  Since doing that, I have not had any line snap on hookset.

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/23/06 at 07:07:28
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
I use braided on most of my reels and have experienced the same during hookset.  What I have done to help this is to pass two lengths of line through the eye of the hook.  Keep the line doubled up through out the knot.  Since doing that, I have not had any line snap on hookset.

what do you mean by 2 lenths of line.

Smiley

thanks

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/23/06 at 13:21:48
Quote Print Post  
He means to wrap the line through the hook another time instead of once. Like put it through, loop it around and through the eye again before tying the knot. At least thats what I think he means.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/23/06 at 14:59:26
Quote Print Post  
Yup,

Rob is right on.
Russ

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/23/06 at 15:37:20
Quote Print Post  
The knot that Rob and jwerner are talking about is the knot I use for my braid also.  The knot you have been using , the fishermans knot aka the improved clinch knot is not very good for braid.  The Palomar or the knot used by Rob and jwerner are the only two I have found that work well with braid.  By the way  Pat, your suggestion and analysis of the problem was right on.  It is rarely the braid that flails, but it nicking on the bend in the eye, or actually the knot slipping on itself because braid is so slick.

Mark

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo