Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Jon Boat Vs Conventional Aluminum Boat ? (Read 10736 times)
Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Re: Jon Boat Vs Conventional Aluminum Boat ?
Reply #15 - 05/18/06 at 15:33:13
Quote Print Post  
On my 12-V I spent $200 on wood and 2X4 joists and carpeting. I have a 5 horse on my boat and I have almost no weight in the back compared to the front, so I spear everything so its a wet ride, so make sure you put some weights in the back, I still though have a real smooth ride, I can go 12 mph by myself and if I take a friend I can go 8 mph.

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/18/06 at 18:16:09
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
i have a 12' jon with a trolling motor on the front. i love it .works great on smaller lakes. got a 6horse for the lakes that allow gas. not good in rough water though, i've almost sunk a few times.  i stuck some rubber roofing material in the front for noise dampener, it works good.

did you ever sink it, what did you do to prevent sinking the boat?

i thought all boats have enough foam so that they do not get submerged.

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/18/06 at 18:18:00
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
Hey there,
 As anyone will tell you,  I've owned every kind of boat you can imagine.  You asked about design flaws in Jon boats.  I would say a long rough water ride in a jon boat most closely resembles riding on a sheet of plywood.  Though very stable, a 6" chop feels like 6' in a jon boat.  Also, if you do decide to build a "front deck" on it, make sure the design takes that into consideration.  Rattling your tooth filling out is not un heard of.  

since you have owned many boats, and a jon boat as well.  if you were starting out, which boat would you prefer, a conventional aluminum, or a jon boat...  taking the fact that you have knowledge of owning them both.

thanks

Smiley

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/18/06 at 18:19:31
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
On my 12-V I spent $200 on wood and 2X4 joists and carpeting. I have a 5 horse on my boat and I have almost no weight in the back compared to the front, so I spear everything so its a wet ride, so make sure you put some weights in the back, I still though have a real smooth ride, I can go 12 mph by myself and if I take a friend I can go 8 mph.

do you have any pics of the deck you built, and how much weight did it add to the dry weightl?

thanks

Smiley

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/18/06 at 18:32:01
Quote Print Post  
Quote:

Hey Nick lets race.  Cheesy I can go 4.5 mph with just my trolling motor in my 9 foot, so with my 3.3 horse it may be fun hahaha, just joking.  Sounds like a good rig for the smaller lakes. 
Sorry T Dot, for whoring your post.  Wish I had more insight and experience with john boats, but I don't.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/18/06 at 19:22:14
Quote Print Post  
Ex-prez - You crack me up.  Now that you mention it, you ARE likely the leading expert in this highly technical analysis.

IP Logged

Man_with_a_view
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 05/18/06 at 22:13:49
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
what did you build the deck out of, and how much did it cost you?

thanks

Smiley

I made the deck out of 3/4" plywood. It was a long time ago so a cost comparison would not be realistic. I can tell you it did not cost much. A couple of sheets of plywood some outdoor carpet a little glue and a box of screws. The hardest part was the design and engineering. It was a great boat though. I caught a lot of fish from it.

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #22 - 05/18/06 at 22:38:08
Quote Print Post  
Yo,
  Got Five, I'll take that as a compliment?????  Okay, my expert analysis of this issue is as follows........
  If I were to build, say a 14' row boat turned bass catcher, I'd use the widest 14' Jon boat with the deepest hull I could find.  I'd start by building a back deck to hide the trolling motor battery and gas tank.  I'd also build in my livewell in the back 1/2 of the boat for weight distribution at rest (keep the bow riding high).  Once on plane, regardless of where you put the weight, you'll get wet, it's a Jon boat!!!!  I'd use 3/4" marine grade plywood at about $70 per sheet at Home Depot, how do I know that/ I just built a new deck for my Ranger.  All in, Perko locks, carpet, plywood, stainless fasteners, water proof construction adhesive, everything was just south of $400.  TAKE YOUR TIME!  Hard wire everything in flexible conduit, use good materials and you can have a cool little boat.  BTW, if I had to guess, the full front flippin' deck I built for the Ranger may have added 90 pounds or so.  Good Luck!  Oh, one more thing, JON or Deep-V?  Certainly Jon, only because getting to the hole' on the lake takes only a few minutes, you'll be standing up fishing in it all day.  5 minutes, All Day, when would you rather be most comfortable?

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 05/18/06 at 22:51:28
Quote Print Post  
Yo Prez - My comment was meant in the finest of terms.  You are the man when it comes to this sort of thing.  No detail left unturned and always quality work.  That sort of knowledge only comes from experience.  Besides, it is all in the hook set!!!!

IP Logged

grubber
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/19/06 at 12:58:50
Quote Print Post  
we never sunk but 2 guys with gear in a 12 foot jon means stay in calm water. the sides just aint tall enough. i've been in lake tapps with the water skiers, washington, sammamish. and sawyer.  all were a bad time. it probly would've been fine if it was just me. take ex-pres.'s advice- get a 14 footer. if you wan't i'll send you pics of the way i set up my trolling motor in the front.Quote:
did you ever sink it, what did you do to prevent sinking the boat?

i thought all boats have enough foam so that they do not get submerged.

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 05/19/06 at 13:33:36
Quote Print Post  
I do have some Pics, dont now if I know how to post them,  I would say about 80-120 lbs. added to dry weight. Plus an 60 lb. trolling motor, 60 lb. battery.

If I learn how I can post the pics

Chris, BRING IT ON!!!!!!  From where, Gene Coulon to Sand Point? Just kidding, I think both our boats would probably capsize, though My boat is extremely stable in rough water. The biggest lake I have taken it out to is Banks. Staying in the north end I had no problem.

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 05/19/06 at 19:08:47
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
we never sunk but 2 guys with gear in a 12 foot jon means stay in calm water. the sides just aint tall enough. i've been in lake tapps with the water skiers, washington, sammamish. and sawyer.  all were a bad time. it probly would've been fine if it was just me. take ex-pres.'s advice- get a 14 footer. if you wan't i'll send you pics of the way i set up my trolling motor in the front.

im shopping for a 14 footer, but do you think 2 guys and gear would hold up in lakes such as taps, washington and sammamish.

im looking to pickup a boat that will do the big lakes, but small and portable enough to do the small lakes as well.

thanks

Smiley

IP Logged

grubber
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 05/20/06 at 13:16:39
Quote Print Post  
in my opinion, if you want to go on the big lakes AND HAVE FUN save your dollars and get a bassboat. it don't have to be new and cost $30,000. if you buy a 14 jon and start adding all your accessories you gonna spend quite a bit if you do it nice and right. for example- my buddy has a 12 foot lund that he's into for about $3,800. i picked up a 17" tracker like new, all set up, ready to fish for $4,200.

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 05/22/06 at 15:20:24
Quote Print Post  
My first boat was a 10 foot double hull Livingston that I turned into a bass boat (old shop teacher here), then I moved to a 12 foot flat bottomed boat that I also converted into a bass boat, and now I have a 17 Lund.  

The first boat could only go to the tiny local lakes - was heavy, but at least I got to fish.  

The 2nd boat (flat bottomed) took me to larger lakes on nice days.  But let me tell you, nice days can change into windy days in a hurry!  I had some harrowing trips back to the ramps of Lake Washington after whitecaps showed up out of nowhere!  I almost lost the boat on Lake Roosevelt - limping into a safe bay with everything floating in 8 inches of water!  

The Lund is V-hulled, stable, handles anything Lake Washingto can dish out, but it's wider than most flatbottom boats.  Even though it is V-hulled, I have yet to find water so shallow that I could not fish it!

I would recommend this:  

1) Determine the water you really want to fish - make a list of the lakes and ask the old timers in the club how the wind affects them, and how high the waves can get.  

2) Research the cost of the basic (empty) flat bottom and V-hulled boats, and estimate the cost of building materials to turn it into a bass boat. (Don't use any fasteners that can rust! And remember - lumber is heavy, and unless you plan on attaching floatation foam, take a look at the boat's "carrying capacity" stamped on the hull and subtract the weight of the lumber - to discover if you are about to become illegal when you add your equipment and fishing partner to the amount!)  

3) Compare that cost of building to a good used boat.  (unless you enjoy building - I suspect the used boat will suddenly look more attractive and worth saving the extra schekles to buy it.)

4)  Buy as wide and long a boat as you can afford, regardless of the hull style, paying attention to how you plan to tow it (in back of pickup or on a trailer), the thinkness of the aluminum (the cheapest boats can be half the thickness of others), how wide and deep is the garage you thought it would fit it (the extra length of a trailer tongue has frustrated a lot of anglers who brought their new boats home to find it now had to stay outside because the garage was not wide enough or deep enough for the trailer).  

5)  Remember, boats that fit into the bed of your pickup have to stay light in order to lift them out.  There are back wheels that you can attach to the transom that fold down (they work good), but they aren't cheap either.  And every trip then requires 15 minutes of loading gear, attaching the motor, etc.. (Reverse this when unloading).  A trailer allows you to "launch and go" since all the gear is already in it!

6)  If you decide to build (transform an empty shell) remember: it's buying the accessories that will kill you!  By the time I bought flares, nets, seats, an anchor, ropes, oars, etc... I was amazed at how it all added up!  A used boat usually comes with all the do-dads you'll need.  True, when you buy a used boat, you buy the previous problems that went with it, but that's true of used cars too, right?

My 17 foot V-hull has taken me everywhere and allowed me to fish any body of water that a fancy bass boat can.  Obviously I don't go as fast, but the fish don't seem to care about the speed at which I arrived.

It all boils down to a balancing act between cost (what you can afford), and the type of lakes you want to be able to fish, (and hence the water conditions you will face).  

In most cases you get what you pay for.  The biggest factor in this decision is your personality.  And this has to do with your ability wait for what you really want!  The desire for "instant gratification" is handled differently in all of us, depending on our personality.  If you canl't wait to save up for the ideal boat - then you will settle for what you can get NOW!  

EX: If the ideal used boat is $3,500, and you only have $800 dollars, you have to decide, "Do I settle for the bare basic and get limited to what lakes I can fish, or do I save and fish where I want."  In my earlier years, saving was not a possibility so I took what I could and settled!  At least I was fishing!  But if you have the ability to keep putting some money away each month - you might want to wait and get the next step up.  Each individual is different, and their economic situation is different.  We can't help you with a boat buying decision other than to share our experiences and let you "cut-n-paste" the applicable parts to your unique lifestyle and personality.

I will say this:  research is cheap, and will never disappoint you!  Gathering all the data, like you are doing now, will pay off bigtime. Rushing will bring you regrets! (That goes for dealing with women too!)  Put what you learn down on paper, reflect hard on it, the answer will come!  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo