Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Jon Boat Vs Conventional Aluminum Boat ? (Read 10734 times)
T_Dot
Ex Member

Jon Boat Vs Conventional Aluminum Boat ?
05/17/06 at 19:32:07
Quote Print Post  
Jon Boat Vs Conventional Aluminum Boat ?

What is the main difference between these 2 boats?  I took a trip on one recently and noticed that the Jon boat was more stable as I move to the outter edges of the boat, by that I mean, the boat didnt want to tip into the water.

Are Jon boats more stable in that sence, if so why?  How can I make a conventional aluminum boat to be that stable?

Thanks

Smiley

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Re: Jon Boat Vs Conventional Aluminum Boat ?
Reply #1 - 05/17/06 at 20:29:28
Quote Print Post  
The difference in stability is related to the hull design.  A jon boat has a flat shallow water displacement hull.  They are designed to navigate through very shallow water and provide for a stable fishing or frog-gigging platform.  A conventional aluminum boat with a v-hull is a displacement hull designed for deeper and rougher water.  about the only way to equal the stability would be to add outriggers. Undecided

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/17/06 at 20:53:26
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
The difference in stability is related to the hull design.  A jon boat has a flat shallow water displacement hull.  They are designed to navigate through very shallow water and provide for a stable fishing or frog-gigging platform.  A conventional aluminum boat with a v-hull is a displacement hull designed for deeper and rougher water.  about the only way to equal the stability would be to add outriggers. Undecided

Smitty Wink

for local lakes around seattle, which boat would be a better purchase?

Thanks

Smiley

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/17/06 at 21:14:34
Quote Print Post  
I think a jon boat would be better. You don't have to worry about rough water when you are fishing small local lakes. And if you're bass fishing, you'll want to stand more often than not, so you'll need them one with more stability.

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/17/06 at 22:36:03
Quote Print Post  
T-Dot

I have used both boats in the local small lakes and you want to go with the Jon boat.  The v-hull aluminum boats are good for trolling, but are tippy as all-get-out if you dare to stand up.  Tongue

Good Luck
BillB

Tongue

IP Logged

Nick_Barr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/17/06 at 22:41:35
Quote Print Post  
I turned my Deep-V into a mini Bass Boat no problem, but Its a HarberCraft Aluminium-V Which is at least 10+ inches wider than standard 12 foot Deep V's

IP Logged

Man_with_a_view
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/17/06 at 22:52:15
Quote Print Post  
My first boat was a 10 foot Livingston. I built a deck on the front to accomadate a pedestal seat and a foot steer trolling motor and it had a 10 horse outboard. It was almost as stable as a bass boat due to the double vee hull design of a Livingston. Like a vee hull and outriggers at the same time. Just another option for you to think about. I fished from that boat for 4 years before I bought my Stratos. Great for the smaller and middle size lakes around here.

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/18/06 at 00:06:51
Quote Print Post  
John boats are nice and stable, and if you want to hear slapping water all day long they are nice  Tongue  Thats just my experience fishing out of one once.

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/18/06 at 04:25:55
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
I think a jon boat would be better. You don't have to worry about rough water when you are fishing small local lakes. And if you're bass fishing, you'll want to stand more often than not, so you'll need them one with more stability.

thats what im thinking as well, but i do can a lil paranoid sometimes.  im pretty comfortable standing in a conventional aluminum boat, but havent stood in a real jon boat, as it was a flat fiberglass boat.  it seemed to do alright though

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/18/06 at 04:26:44
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
T-Dot

I have used both boats in the local small lakes and you want to go with the Jon boat.  The v-hull aluminum boats are good for trolling, but are tippy as all-get-out if you dare to stand up.  Tongue

Good Luck
BillB

Tongue

thanks for the tip, are there any down sides of using a jon boat?

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/18/06 at 04:27:32
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
I turned my Deep-V into a mini Bass Boat no problem, but Its a HarberCraft Aluminium-V Which is at least 10+ inches wider than standard 12 foot Deep V's

i was thinking of doing that as well, but with the added weight, it wouldnt be a car topper any more.

IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/18/06 at 04:29:41
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
My first boat was a 10 foot Livingston. I built a deck on the front to accomadate a pedestal seat and a foot steer trolling motor and it had a 10 horse outboard. It was almost as stable as a bass boat due to the double vee hull design of a Livingston. Like a vee hull and outriggers at the same time. Just another option for you to think about. I fished from that boat for 4 years before I bought my Stratos. Great for the smaller and middle size lakes around here.

what did you build the deck out of, and how much did it cost you?

thanks

Smiley

IP Logged

grubber
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/18/06 at 06:45:42
Quote Print Post  
i have a 12' jon with a trolling motor on the front. i love it .works great on smaller lakes. got a 6horse for the lakes that allow gas. not good in rough water though, i've almost sunk a few times.  i stuck some rubber roofing material in the front for noise dampener, it works good.

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #13 - 05/18/06 at 13:21:36
Quote Print Post  
Hey there,
  As anyone will tell you,  I've owned every kind of boat you can imagine.  You asked about design flaws in Jon boats.  I would say a long rough water ride in a jon boat most closely resembles riding on a sheet of plywood.  Though very stable, a 6" chop feels like 6' in a jon boat.  Also, if you do decide to build a "front deck" on it, make sure the design takes that into consideration.  Rattling your tooth filling out is not un heard of.

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/18/06 at 14:24:31
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
are there any down sides of using a jon boat?

The biggest down side is wind, without a good keel, the slightest breeze will move the Jon boat all over the place.  I used to use two small anchors to hold positions at times.

BillB

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo