Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) NOISY TROLLING MOTOR MOUNTS? (Read 5163 times)
kastin_kurt
Ex Member

NOISY TROLLING MOTOR MOUNTS?
05/23/06 at 01:19:10
Quote Print Post  
HOWDY!  I JUST BOUGHT A 2004, 17.5' NITRO BASS BOAT. This is my first boat with a bow mounted trolling motor.  Only trouble is, every time I apply power, the motor rattles in its mount. THIS HAS GOT TO SCARE NEARBY FISH.

The guy I bought the boat from said that he'd tried to tighten everything, but it still "rattles".  Any one have any ideas?  Is this the way it's suposed to be? Do I need to buy a new mount...or a whole new motor?

Thanks for your help.

Kastin Kurt

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Re: NOISY TROLLING MOTOR MOUNTS?
Reply #1 - 05/23/06 at 01:21:13
Quote Print Post  
I am not familiar with trolling motor squeeks and rattles, but it might be easier to answer your question if we knew what kind of motor it was.  I know MK and MG have some little problem areas between the two.
« Last Edit: 05/23/06 at 03:15:39 by »  

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/23/06 at 01:45:20
Quote Print Post  
Kastin,

Open the panel in front of bow and look to see if there are any well nuts connected to the bolts that are attached to the mount. This type of nut will be recessed into the fiberglass and will be incased in rubber. If there are none of these nuts used this is my first suggestion to buy some from your local hardware store. If they don't carry call me at 253-876-0613 during 8-5pm and I will see what I can do.

I own a fastener company and believe I can help you.
Russ

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/23/06 at 03:46:42
Quote Print Post  
Being this is a nitro, I would guess it is a motor guide motor.  Rattling, clunking, chunking, clucking, grinding, growling, etc.. etc... thats the problem with motor guides.  Get a real electric motor and get a minn kota.  Way quieter, way more reliable, way more dependable.

just my 02$ worth.

Mark

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/23/06 at 04:36:09
Quote Print Post  
Mark,

I'll agree with you about the quieter part, but have been running motorguides for over 20 years and have never had a lick of a problem pure dependability and not that noisy. Atleast my rope didn't break.
Just my .02
Russ

IP Logged

Chris B.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/23/06 at 04:57:10
Quote Print Post  
From what I have seen on some websites, MK's are preferred almost 3 to 1.  When I ordered my boat, my dealer (fairly new dealer) said he had never rigged a MK before, so figure that out  ???

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #6 - 05/23/06 at 13:38:38
Quote Print Post  
It's an accepted fact that MotorGuide, while selling a lion's share of TM's in the past are known to have some problems with noise and weeds that Minnkotta's don't face.  Consequently, MK's have outsold MG's for several years now.  That however, doesn't answer your problem.  
Here is where to start.  At the pivot point of your shaft where it turns, there is a collar with a set screw.  Inside that collar is a nylon bushing that can slide up and down.  Make sure that bushing is down as far as it can go without coming loose and tighten the set screw.  That should alleviate most of the junky sounding "clunk" that you hear when you energize the engine by stepping on the foot control button.  If that does not help, you will need to replace the bushing.  The authorised MG repair shop is run by Walt Rose at Angler's Choice tackle store on the North side of Seattle.  North end guys can help out on the correct address.
I used to have the same problem with former MotorGuide trolling motors until I switched to Minnkotta TM's several years ago.  Not one weed problem or noise complaint since.

Smitty Wink

« Last Edit: 05/24/06 at 13:33:02 by DUNE HOPPER »  

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/24/06 at 03:21:28
Quote Print Post  
i too have that problem.  i think mine is from the chessy standard mount that came on the 43lb thrust version.  will definetely try the bushing idea smitty.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/24/06 at 03:22:59
Quote Print Post  
Kastin,

Sometimes a gator mount makes a huge difference.
Russ

IP Logged

kastin_kurt
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/24/06 at 04:28:40
Quote Print Post  
You guys guessed right. I've got a 40# Motor Guide.  I'll check out the bushing thing....if that doesn't work I'll get a gator mount or a MT setup.

Thanks for all the comments.

Kastin

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/24/06 at 20:23:55
Quote Print Post  
The shop you are referring to Smitty is off exit 177 from I-5 I  believe and is the Lake Forrest park Neighborhood. You go East off the exit and is a few miles down on the left behind McDonalds.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #11 - 05/24/06 at 21:53:00
Quote Print Post  
Thats the one young Skywalker! Grin

Smitty Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/25/06 at 06:32:38
Quote Print Post  
Pretty dang close Rob! Angler's Choice is actually less than half a mile East of the Freeway, and you are quite right - it is the Lake Forest Park exit - There is a light with a Chevron Gas Station on the South corner and a Shell station on the North corner. Turn left into the strip mall about 200 yards after this light and Walt's place is in the back left corner near the Fitness Center.

Walt does a great job and his prices are reasonable, while you're there check out his Bass tackle too!!!!

(I live about two miles from his place)

Faz

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo