Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Winning Strategies Question?? (Read 6278 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

Winning Strategies Question??
04/07/05 at 00:23:12
Quote Print Post  
To all,

I have allways been curious about when you are a contestant in a tourney what would you do when the following scenario happens to you. Its 4th down and there is an hour left in the tourney, the bite has turned off and you have ran out of you favorite honey holes to fish, do you:

A) Stay put and pound it out?
B) Locate new water?
C) Give up?
D) Fish with Bigger/Smaller Baits?

Just want to know because I will tell you what I do to  finish with a limit at the end of the chat.

Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Winning Strategies Question??
Reply #1 - 04/07/05 at 04:47:53
Quote Print Post  
I would go with fishing new water as I would at least want to learn something from the experience.......did exactly that at a potholes tourney a few years ago when in an AOY race with Jim Rumann I was choking on day two with no fish and two hours left. I abandoned my pattern and fished a flat told to me by Mark Wells and in twenty minutes boated four fish!
Took Third and although still lost the AOY I retained alot of confidence!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/07/05 at 05:20:29
Quote Print Post  
I would agree that trying something new has paid off in the past. Obviously at this point your pattern hasn't work. It is time to go to the playbook. Sometimes going from fast to slow or slow to fast is the key. On a lake like Potholes, you may have to go from smallies to largemouth or vice versa. The best thing usually is to make this change earlier, but sometimes it is mentally challenging to give up a pattern that has been productive in the past. This is where the great anglers stnd out. They have confidence in other baits and presentations and can handle the mental challenge of switching. Every situation and lake is different. Good topic!

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/07/05 at 21:59:33
Quote Print Post  
As I saw during last year's Banks Lake competition, sometimes heckling the competition is a great strategy for bumping yourself up a few notches on the learderboard and putting more money in your pocket. Terry S and Sarge were really struggling last year, so they mooned Smitty and I. Luckily we were wearing protective eyewear that kept the glare down, but the mere sight of Sarge's backside threw off Smitty and I's concentration, and kept us from finishing high in the standings. Just a thought....great post!

Danny

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/07/05 at 22:56:29
Quote Print Post  
Not sure if mooning is something that anybody would want from me, but it does sound fascinating.  My moon is a bit larger than most so perhaps it would be an effective technique at certain times.  Honestly, I am more apt to relocate than completely give up on my pattern.  Certain areas will only hold so many fish, but your pattern should work in other locations in any given water.  I definately would not choose to move from largies to smallies in Potholes as that would be an act of desperation in a tournament situation on that particular body of water.  If I begin to feel that bad about my chances of catching good tournament largemouth, I might as well hook up and go home.  Other locations, such as Tri-Cities, I may have a different prospective.  I am generally a stick it out sort of angler, and am hard pressed to make sweeping changes to my strategies. 

Kirk

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/07/05 at 23:42:23
Quote Print Post  
Considering the amount of Black Velvet consumed by Mr. Garrett on Saturday night, his post above may just be a figment of the imagination, some type of fantasy being lived out in his dreams. Alas, this is a family club, so I will end at that.

I tend to agree with Larry and Rob, in that sometimes a 180 degree change of plans can do a feller good. Some of us do not have the confidence of catching Potholes largemouth like the Holmes-inator, so we have to get our limit of smallies first and then switch gears to the USUALLY bigger largemouth. Although in recent years, smallmouth in Potholes have been big enough to win tournaments, including NW Bass, and have even been a part of winning stringers.

Chris

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/07/05 at 23:57:49
Quote Print Post  
Just checked my email, and would you believe it? The answer to Russ' question was right there, in Gary Yamamoto's "Inside Line" eNewsletter. If you guys haven't gotten signed up to receive this in your email, it's a good thing to do, and it's free!    http://www.insideline.net 
C&R, Steve

GARY YAMAMOTO WINS TOYOTA HORIZON AWARD

Gary Yamamoto finished 36th out of the top 158 BASS anglers on the 2005 CITGO Bassmaster Tour, which ended last week.

Gary jumped up 115 places from year-end 2004. In doing so, Gary Yamamoto has earned the prestigious Toyota Horizon Award.

Toyota presents this award plus a $25,000 bonus to the
angler who increases their BASS Angler of the Year standing the most from the prior year. Congratulations, Gary Yamamoto.

HOT AND COLD RUNNING PROS

It is a fairly common phenomenon for top BASS pros to
flip-flop in the rankings, go from hot to cold one year to
the next. In 2001, 2002, 2003, Gary Yamamoto finished high on the Bassmaster Tour. In 2004, he did not finish as high (151st), and rebounded back to 36th in 2005.
"I think what happens is we get into our niches. As for me, I get geared toward flipping with soft baits. When the fish want that, I do well, " says Gary.

Many pro anglers harbor such niches, says Gary. "My friend Takahiro Omori's niche is reaction type fishing. Takahiro usually does well that way. But when fish are not acting exactly the way he wants, Takahiro does poorly," says Gary.

The rollercoaster ups and downs of pro angling can also be due to emotional attitude, says Yamamoto. "Your family, health concerns, financial worries, emotional or
psychological attitude can affect performance," believes
Gary.

BAIT AND SWITCH - OR JUST SWITCH BAITS?

"In 2005, I basically went out and did what I do best. I
flip most of the time. I depended on my new Fat Baby Craw for a lot of my flipping success this season," says Gary.

"So in 2005, I concentrated on what I do best, but I also
maintained a more open mind, to be more versatile. I stayed conscious of being able to switch - if I had to - to
crankbaits, jerkbaits or whatever it takes," says Gary.

"In the next to last event, I switched mid-tournament to a jerkbait, which was beneficial to me. In the final
tournament, I heard there was a crankbait bite. I was
mentally prepared to switch, and did indeed cut over to
crankbaits mid-tournament with good results," says Gary.

Being open-minded is a lot harder than it sounds, even for our sport's top pros, says Gary. "How can I put down a soft bait that I like fishing so much, and switch to a crankbait that I don't like fishing as much?," muses Gary. This is a preference problem that all anglers, even top pros, can find hard to break out of their  routine.  "Think of most any top pro. More often than not, you can name their preference bait too," says Gary.

GAIN A SOLID BASE FOUNDATION FIRST

Part of being able to switch tactics and be versatile
depends on having years of experience, says Yamamoto. I have been fishing crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits for over twenty years, says Yamamoto, who has even custom-designed rods he desired for these particular applications. But first and always, I depend on my core competencies with my soft baits, says Gary. Still, I have learned to recognize - based on many years of observation - when to switch.

"It wouldn't be that easy for a less-experienced angler to switch. There are different rods, reels, lines, mindsets and mechanics for different tactics. What I mean is, cutting a heavy jig off a flipping stick and tying on a lightweight jerkbait won't produce results. Knowing when and how to switch is only gained with experience.

For a starting angler, or for a less-experienced angler who vows that 2005 is going to be his or her year for dramatic self-improvement? Gary suggests to improve your singlemost main strengths first and foremost.

"A person needs a solid foundation first, or must develop
enough experience with a singular approach to fishing first. Pick what you like, what you do well with, how you enjoy fishing most. Develop that into your main strength first," says Gary. By developing a main strength, sometimes you will do extremely well (when fish favor you). Sometimes you will not do well (when fish don't favor your strengths).

"Doing extremely well some of the time, and not doing so well some of the time - ask yourself if that is better than doing average all of the time," ponders Yamamoto who suggests for anglers to build their strengths first, then become versatile later.

GARY HAS A FAIR CHANCE TO MAKE THE CLASSIC

Finishing 2005 in 36th place, Gary Yamamoto is within reach of qualifying for his third Bassmaster Classic. Gary
Yamamoto has qualified for the Classic twice earlier - in
2001 and 2002.

"Last year, my good friend Ben Matsubu qualified for the
Classic from around 36th place, which is where I am now. So there is a fair chance I may get a Classic berth this year," says Gary hopefully.

We wish you luck in possibly making your third Classic this year, Gary, and congratulations on winning the Toyota Horizon Award for the most greatly improved finish of 2005.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/08/05 at 00:37:19
Quote Print Post  
Here's a scenerio for you Kirk....

Say you are fishing a big money tournement like a BASS event on Potholes. You have brought two good bags on day 1 and 2. On day 3 you brought in 3 fish for 6-7 lbs because a front came in and the shallow bite turned off a bit. You are in 3rd place.

4 hours into the final day and you have nothing in the boat. Do you ...?

A-

Stick with it and hope the bite turns on or you get a good shallow fish?

or B-

Try some deeper water where smallmouth may be less effected by the weather?

Now the difference in a few lbs could mean several thousand dollars or the win.....What do you do?

Others can answer too...

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/08/05 at 14:45:16
Quote Print Post  
Dang you Danny!!!  I had almost forgotten the horrible spectacle that haunted and befouled us that day.  Now the memories of "BAD MOONS ARISING"  Shocked Shockedhave come flooding back and completely engulfed my pre Clear Lake mental preparations for the upcoming tournament next week. Tongue  It WILL most likely take a large quantity of Black Velvet to purge the memories of such a horrendace view.  Roll Eyes Think of it!  Four deathly pale pimple speckled 1/2 orbs rising above the shining rail of a glass bassboat  floating serenely on a azure blue, lightly rippled lake surface. ???  That dasturdly act perpetrated on us by Terry & Chris should rank among the foulest and most vile unsporstman like acts ever. Sad   OH the sheer horror of it!!!

CANADIAN ME MR. SULLIVAN, YOU'RE DRIVIN TO CALIFORNIA, I CAN'T HANDLE IT! Grin

SMITTY
Smiley

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/08/05 at 15:59:42
Quote Print Post  
I can set you up with an 18 guage i.v. drip Mr. Smith......and they faulted David Dudley with Defensive Fishing tactics.......

TongueWHAT ABOUT OFFENSIVE TACTICS! Tongue

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/08/05 at 16:34:01
Quote Print Post  
Rob,
this is for your scenario. Leave it all out on the line. Go for the win. 2nd only the first loser. I would go for the deeper water bite if that happened to me. But I would be looking for largemouth in deeper water. Their there you just have to find them. Plus if you do that you might mix in a couple good smallies. Or if for some reason I felt the fish are sticking shallow. Like they were on the spawn. Then I'd look for isoclated cover off the spawning flats.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/08/05 at 17:56:14
Quote Print Post  
The thing about being the first loser in this sport....

When you are on the tour and have a family to feed, those decisions are more critical. When you win more often and can take the gambles because you have the financial stability, then go ahead.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/09/05 at 01:01:29
Quote Print Post  
Plus....a sponsor would rather have someone consistantly in the top ten rather than a one-time-wonder who is all over the map when placing.

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/09/05 at 04:32:28
Quote Print Post  
This is a great post. I was reading some of the answers and it got me thinking about a question I always wonder about some of the members in our club.

Say it is the first day of a tourny. Everything is average. It's not cold nor hot. The water is fine. Just a OK day to fish. Do you go for a limit first? Or do you go for the win trying to boat five big kickers?

I myself am usually going for a limit first. I tend to fish better after I have a small limit in the sack. Then you will feel less pressure to perform on the larger fish.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/09/05 at 05:10:14
Quote Print Post  
I do the same Mike....but sometimes I forget....after having fun catching 1-1-1/2 lbers when to get out and look for the kickers!

DOH! Tongue

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo