Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Weighted TUBES....- HOW TO DO IT..? (Read 5444 times)
BassingWoman
Ex Member

Weighted TUBES....- HOW TO DO IT..?
03/14/05 at 01:30:50
Quote Print Post  
Hello everyone,
     I have tubes and weights and don't know how to 'weight' the tubes....are there diagrams or something showing how this is done.......??  Undecided   ???
     Thank you !!

IP Logged

5basslimit
Ex Member

Re: Weighted TUBES....- HOW TO DO IT..?
Reply #1 - 03/14/05 at 03:14:24
Quote Print Post  
There are several weights made to go inside the tube, some with hooks, some without.  I have always texas-rigged mine.  Check out:

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/tube-bait-fishing-tips.shtml

for several suggestions.

Good luck!
Bryan

IP Logged

BassingWoman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/14/05 at 03:48:20
Quote Print Post  
Thank you. I found that link and will read it!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/14/05 at 04:53:05
Quote Print Post  
Brenda...I use an internal weight allowing me to use just a EWG hook for either a senko or a tube....the internal weights I use are flat with a hole thru them which I slide into the tube and then thread onto the hook letting it rest on the bend of the hook inside the tube.
Will bring one to the meeting.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/14/05 at 05:28:21
Quote Print Post  
A tube is a very capable and adaptable bait, so there are dozens of ways to rig and use them. My use of them has been largely replaced by Senkos...pitching and skipping around docks and moored boats, lilly pads, brush and trees. Tubes will simply become part of my Drop Shot attack. I may even rig them on a jighead with exposed hook, and swim them, as they were intended.

For many years, the Tube bait was one of my mainstays. Silver, Banks, Potholes, Mason, Isabella, Sawyer, Lk. Desire, Washington...all produced good fish on the normal 3.5" sized tubes for me. Tubes got me a 6 lb LM and a 4 lb 9 oz Smallie. I like G-4's from Luck E Strike, or Zoom tubes...thick walls being the key deal, IMO.  More weight, but weight that floats, so falls slower. They're also affordable, and tubes can be pricey. BPS products have not found favor with me. They don't hold up very well, very soft, but thin. Price isn't everything. 

I like to rig 'em on a Gamakatsu G-Lock hook. The Z bend holds the nose of the tube well, yet the tube will also slide up the line when a fish is on.  Before these hooks came out, I used the "Shaw Grigsby" hooks with the little clips. They tear up the plastic on almost every hookset, so I don't use them anymore. Tubes are fairly expensive, as plastics go.  They are dipped, much like candles, and then the tails have to be sliced. Both are fairly time consuming processes.

To add weight, I use one of two things. First is a McCoy's or Venom tube rattle. These are glass, 1/4" diameter, two buckshot.  I'll usually wrap them with electrical tape or lead tape (hard to get), to make them a bit tougher and stay in the bait better. Depends on the inside diameter of the tubes you have.  Second thing I'll do is use a short piece of surgical tubing and slip a small splitshot into one end. The tubing is about 5/8" long, and the empty end goes forward. The idea is to put the weight amidship, so the bait falls not quite flat...a bit nose down. It will then do a "death spiral", that the fish can't resist.  Either rig will do that, the idea is to avoid the rattle in real clear water. It will scare the fish off like you won't believe.

I like to use this as a heavy cover bait, so my rod of choice is a  pretty stout 6' spinning rod with a soft enough tip to cast this light lure, a "4000" size spinning reel, and 10 lb Excalibur or McCoy's copolymer monofil.

To work the bait, I let it fall on a slack line, watching for ticks and unusual movements (set the hook!). If it hits the bottom, let it sit for 15 seconds, then start to twitch the rod up from 8 o'clock to 12 o'clock, 3 or 4 twitches. Keep it moving, but make it irregular, then let it fall to the bottom again, and start over.

Colors of choice...Green Pumpkin, Mellon Pepper, Watermellon Pepper, Salt and Pepper, Smoke with black and gold or copper flake, Camoflage, etc.  Basic rule is to have 3 colors..."Light, Dark, and In-Between".  Don't worry about color too much. I would take only Green Pumpkin to any body of water and feel 100% confidence in it, but I probably caught more fish on Camoflage than all the others.  For reference, this color is called PB&J at Yamamoto...AKA peanut butter and jelly.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

BassingWoman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/14/05 at 05:38:26
Quote Print Post  
Steve! - Thank you for the well informed thought out post! This is wonderful of you to share all this info with me.
    I have the tube rattles and flat sided weights with a hole in one end. I worked on rigging a tube tonight but it didn't sit right on the hook when I was done.

You wrote - "I'll usually wrap them with electrical tape or lead tape (hard to get), to make them a bit tougher and stay in the bait better." So, you wrap the tape around the tube rattle, then insert it into the tube?
  How much tape do you use - one wrap around? Makes sense to get the rattle to stay in the tube and not work its way out when being bumped around cover, etc.
     Thank you Cheesy, Brenda.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/16/05 at 04:12:09
Quote Print Post  
Yup, wrap a layer or two of tape around the glass rattle to make them a snugger fit in the tube bait. This depends on your choice of brand, and there is some variation from batch to batch, on some brands of tubes.  Because of this, I'd suggest sticking with the same brand of tube baits. Different brands also have different length from the nose to where the tails start, so your hook length may also need adjusting. Basically, I use the longest G-Lock that will fit the tube.

These glass rattles don't like being bounced off the side of docks. The tape helps a bit, at least keeps the pieces of glass together.  For serious dock skipping, I'd go with the splitshot/surgical tubing, or a Senko, unless the water was pretty muddy. These 'tea-colored' tanic stained lakes we have are still quite clear, so don't over-react...Green Pumpkin will work.  Smiley 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/18/05 at 19:51:32
Quote Print Post  
Brian Walker showed me a cool trick with tubes when I first joined the club. Shove a large swivel up into the tube and then push the hook point through the eye of the swivel. Makes a decent weight and swivels are pretty cheap when bought in bulk, no need for the fancy bearings, and there are many sizes of swivel available.

Brian, I hope you don't mind me sharing this tip.

Faz

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/18/05 at 21:46:11
Quote Print Post  
No problem Faz, in fact it's inspiring to see other club member pass on things you've learned or discovered.  SmileyThe size of the swivel I like to use is a #2. Brian (The Walker)

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/18/05 at 22:30:09
Quote Print Post  
That's an awesome trick! Thanks for passing it along...

Chris

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #10 - 03/19/05 at 04:38:29
Quote Print Post  

IP Logged

BassingWoman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/21/05 at 03:58:10
Quote Print Post  
THANK YOU GLENN! I will read those! B.W.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/21/05 at 17:38:14
Quote Print Post  
Hhhmmm....Glenn, you keep pushing this bassresource outfit.  It is almost like you had a vested interest in it. Shocked

Actually it is a pretty neat site and has a lot of useful info on it.  I have turned several people onto it for gathering information.  I think any new person or even the old guys could glean a thing or two from it.

Great site, Glenn.

Rich

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo