Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) lake washington (Read 7355 times)
Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Re: lake washington
Reply #15 - 03/02/05 at 20:35:37
Quote Print Post  
I heard the story yesterday, but as I heard it Mark ran across the researchers doing the fish count and helped them with their research work.  Maybe I heard wrong, I sure Mark can give us details.  Chris is you need some detailed fisheries info on WA I will be out on Friday and you and your team can follow me around.  I usually catch tons and tons of all varieties of fish.  Even possibly the occasional alligator...

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/02/05 at 21:44:54
Quote Print Post  
Well, if there is someone else out there that Mark ran into, I offer my apology for the previous post. But to my knowledge, no one else from the UW is doing research involoving gill nets on Lake Washington.

Chris

P.S. Doug - we will be sure to contact you for the alligator rescue operations... CRIKEY! lol.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/03/05 at 03:44:18
Quote Print Post  
I wonder if Mark meant in his post...."Ran Into" meant he got it wrapped around a prop or in a rev rig? Will try to get some more info.......

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/03/05 at 18:47:38
Quote Print Post  
Ok OK, so here's the story.  Chris and the rest of the gang.  I ran into the net with my rev rig.  There were actually two net's in the area.  One had a very small mesh to it and it didn't have any smallies in it.  All small perch, pike minnows, etc....  the other net was located about 100 yds away.  It had a larger mesh to it.  I snagged both with the rev rig while trying to fish my point that had the smallies I caught last week.  There is a small creek that flows into this area and a small rocky point made by the creek.  The larger gill net I pulled up with the rev rig that  got snagged in the net.  Chris will know the area.  I have caught alot of smallies in this area, as it is a classic early staging area for the smallies.  There is DEEP water near by and alot of rocky / gravel flats in the area for spawning.  When I first snagged the large gill net. I had no idea that it was a research net.  When I snagged the second one.  I checked the float out and seen the U of W bouy tied to it.  I knew then it was for research and if I disturbed the nets, it was for getting my rev rig out of it and not to try and screw up any research Chris and the gang was doing.  Sorry Chris if I disrupted anything...  My sincerely apologize.
  As for fishing around the floating bridge, I had no idea that there was a fishing restriction around them.  And is the restriction just around the floating bridge sections and not inclusive of the pilings or what.  I know of alot of guys that target the pilings sections of the various bridges and would like to know if these are deemed off limits or not.

Mark

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/04/05 at 05:39:26
Quote Print Post  
It says in the Regs, Westside Lakes-Special Rules, p.66 of the '04/'05 regs, under Washington, Lake, (King Co.): "CLOSED to fishing from a floating device within 100 yards either side of floating bridges." It doesn't say anything about the non-floating ends of those bridges.  I think the object of this reg is to keep the trollers from decimating the salmon that bunch up adjacent to the floaters, but when the rule isn't very specific, you never know when some gung-ho's (as opposed to just plain ho's)  Shocked will choose to hassle us bassers.  
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/04/05 at 15:56:42
Quote Print Post  
I think the real reason for the distance regulations has something to do with the large cables that anchor the floating bridge.  These cables do not go straight down, they go out at 45 degrees to large cememnt blocks.  (You can see them on your depth finders.)  Those fishermen trolling near them would be snagging them constantly with lines and anchor ropes and perhaps doing damage.  That's my one and only humble theory.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/04/05 at 16:39:02
Quote Print Post  
Also I believe the State Patrol has a Traffic Distraction Exclusionary Zone where traffic accidents have prompted a buffer......heard it once by a trooper when I worked a car wreck on the 520 bridge......

0.2cents

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 03/05/05 at 01:29:26
Quote Print Post  
Well, Caleb may have topped the clam on a rev rig.  He caught a mussel on a drop shot...

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 03/05/05 at 02:26:13
Quote Print Post  
I thought this was a bass club...Hhhmmmm

Rich

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #24 - 03/05/05 at 03:40:17
Quote Print Post  
LMAO!!   Grin Cheesy

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 03/08/05 at 06:20:53
Quote Print Post  
Rented a rowboat from UW today and rowed out to Webster Point. I hate rowing, but it payed off. Caught only one fish, but a nice one....close to the 4 lb mark..on a bitsy bug. Not sure what the depth was exactly, probably 30 feet or so. They are finally starting to show their colors this time of year.....gorgeous fish.

Tight Lines,
Danny

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo