Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Scent or no scent? (Read 8399 times)
Nick
Ex Member

Re: Scent or no scent?
Reply #15 - 11/07/04 at 05:45:15
Quote Print Post  
Sorry Rob,
Yeah I know I'm beginning to sound like a biologist. Must be spending to much time around around Sargent or something.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 11/07/04 at 06:49:11
Quote Print Post  
Y'all are crackin' me up!  Tongue

It's "Sergeant", kiddo. That's ok... biologists spell it wrong all the time, too.  Wink

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 11/08/04 at 05:54:22
Quote Print Post  
Hey I never claimed to be the snartest in the family okay! I'm working on my edjumacation alright! I'm doing my best!

Thanks

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 11/08/04 at 08:07:09
Quote Print Post  
Just like my favorite Homer Simpson song goes...

"I am so smart... S-M-R-T. I mean, S-M-A-R-T"

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 11/12/04 at 02:06:29
Quote Print Post  
As a devoted plastics fisher, I would say: 1) Most plastics already have a scent or salt, or both. 2) Because of that, I start without scent, and don't feel at a disadvantage. 3) If I have a fish that picks up the bait very gently, ...and I wait...and wait...and the fish really doesn't have it good, and I just go ahead and set the hook...and miss. THEN I put on Smelly Jelly Liquid "Craw Anus" (sic) or "Craw-Daddy" (I think), cast right back in there, and I ALWAYS catch that fish. This tells me that scents work. Smelly Jelly Sticky Liquid is good stuff, it's price is fairly good, and it's made in Beaverton, OR., so it's a NW product. All +'s, IMO. 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 11/15/04 at 05:01:03
Quote Print Post  
I'm not so sure I am sold on the conceopt of scent ATTRACTING fish as I am the idea that scent MASKS my own.  Human hands (especially men's) have a PH that has been proven to be very offensive to fish.  (Very similar to the PH given off by bear paws while fishing in Alaska streams, which salmon can sense and try to avoid). Any way, I'm more concerned about covering up or masking the oils my own hands produce.  Well... that's my present day theory and I'm stickin to it.  Smelly Jelly works for me!

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 11/19/04 at 06:49:30
Quote Print Post  
If you ever watch a freshly "smelly jellied" bait on the surface of the water it gives off a huge slick.... this can spread over a pretty big area underwater. Ask "Sarge" about how few parts per million fish can "smell" and you'll be surprised how well Smelly Jelly works. They may feed by sight, but they can be drawn to an area by smell, long before they see anything.

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 11/30/04 at 05:51:36
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the replies.  When I salmon fish, I have to use scent...maybe to mask my own scent, but it gives me confidence and I've noticed a lot more hookups.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo