Poll
Poll Question: What is more important for smallies to spawn

« Last Modified by: on: 06/16/04 at 17:15:38 »
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Spawning Smallies (Read 6371 times)
Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Spawning Smallies
06/15/04 at 16:37:15
Quote Print Post  
I ask this since the poll option is new and wanted to try it out and I want to know what everyone thinks?

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Re: Spawning Smallies
Reply #1 - 06/15/04 at 17:30:12
Quote Print Post  
It looks like water temp is leading and that puzzles me. because, on lake tapps I was catching bedding Smallies in 66 degree water.

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/15/04 at 18:25:14
Quote Print Post  
Jim, you have to remember that nothing is black and white while fish are concerned.  They dont all move up on beds at the same exact time or spawn at exactly the same time if some go at all.  

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/15/04 at 21:23:34
Quote Print Post  
Most of the Smallies in Tapps spawned over a month ago if you notice all the fry in the water.
RB

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/16/04 at 04:32:16
Quote Print Post  
I guess the fish that I caught on beds where out of the norm.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/16/04 at 15:46:21
Quote Print Post  
Maybe it, and I'm sure it is, different, but when I was in California there was almost a 3 month spawn period. Meaning the time the first bass decided to until the procrastinating bass finished. Also during this time there was almost three types of bites, Pre, spawn and post spawn. You could target different areas for the different stages. Some bass spawned twice I was told. Even without the actuall spawn, I always felt confident fishing shallow even though there is talk of a deep water, summer pattern. I've noticed people can't wait for the water to warm so the fish come up. Then they say, "Well they must have spawned by now." Then in the summer they blame the water for being too hot. There usually are fish to be caught. Just go catch them.

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/16/04 at 21:06:47
Quote Print Post  
Unlike the rest of the country where water temperature plays such a large role, I'm convinced that in Lake Washington it's the amount of consistent sunlight that triggers the fish.  On those years where we had lots of early sunshine - the smallies spawned early.  (Even though the temperature was still cold).  On those dark and dreary springs it took longer.  My records show that water temperature had little to do with it.  Well, that's my theory... and I'm stickin to it!

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/17/04 at 04:03:03
Quote Print Post  
i've only fished bass on beds a few times, but i've noticed from my exsperience that the temperature has  to be around 60 degrees. Well thats just my experience. i guess i'm only 16 so what do I know

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/17/04 at 13:28:46
Quote Print Post  
Do'nt downplay an untarnished opinion Nick.......some of us old timers get hung up on tradition and wives tales you guys are the future of this sport and fresh ideas are what makes all of us better anglers.........
KEEP POSTING!

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/17/04 at 14:22:16
Quote Print Post  
Yeah what he said!!!!

You young whipper snapper  Grin

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/17/04 at 17:36:07
Quote Print Post  
thanks guys

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/17/04 at 18:48:54
Quote Print Post  
Well temperature does play a role Nick. 60 is a key temp, but there are are important temps. 54-58 is where it starts. This is when bass start staging in staging areas and get out of the "winter" haunt. They will start to feed in anticipation of the spawn. 64 is what I've been told is the ideal spawn temp. I think 60 just fits in the middle. This should be when bass are cruising shallows for good bedding spots or females for good beds already established by the buck. There are plenty other variables though.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/17/04 at 23:49:04
Quote Print Post  
For one thing, how deep is your temp sensor? It may be 1' > 2' underwater. And how deep is that Smallmouth nest? It may well be 10' down. A few years ago, I saw my first spawning Smallie on Sawyer. It was at the deep end of a dock (you know, the dock with the stainless steel swim ladder)  Wink.  I see LM nests ok, just don't see SM nests until they see me. Then, they're long gone, so I just see an empty one. Hitting the water during good wind & sun conditions are also critical, and we can't always be on the water at those times.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo