Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Scent or no scent? (Read 8384 times)
Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Scent or no scent?
09/10/04 at 04:22:13
Quote Print Post  
Are you guys using any scent with your lures?  I use Mike's crawfish gel on some of my soft plastics and havn't noticed a difference on whether I catch more fish or not.  Which ones do you guys use?

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Re: Scent or no scent?
Reply #1 - 11/02/04 at 00:16:07
Quote Print Post  
Smelly Jelley pro craw.  Great stuff and really attracts the females.  Bass, you dopes...

Kirk

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/02/04 at 01:25:00
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,

I think Ron H. uses the same stuff... At least that is what his boat tackle locker smells like.

Chris

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #3 - 11/02/04 at 14:42:49
Quote Print Post  
Megastrike Craw & YUM Shad, don't leave home with out them! Shocked

Smitty
Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/02/04 at 20:20:04
Quote Print Post  
Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I usaully like to because I chew and want to mask the odor.

IP Logged

Daryl_S.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/02/04 at 22:15:03
Quote Print Post  
Rob,

Don't you know you are supposed to spit on the bait with a chew in?

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/02/04 at 22:21:19
Quote Print Post  
Yeah...sometimes I use Smelly Jelly, sometimes Copenhagen...I let the fish tell me what they want.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #7 - 11/03/04 at 03:13:10
Quote Print Post  
I hear the Wintergreen is a smallie favorite!

I don't chew, but do use scents.  As for brand - heck I have Smelly Jelly craw paste and craw/anise liquid, Pro-Scent craw, and Berkley Powerbait all on the boat and  I use them all.  So far, I haven't found a clear winner as far as "pour on" scents go.  In fact, I haven't seen too much difference between baits with scent poured on them and baits fresh out of the bag.

But, switch to baits with impregnated scents and that's a different story!  So far I've found much better success with Powerbaits and Yum-impregnated baits compared to "plain" baits with scent poured on.

I have some new prototype Senco-like baits with built in scent I just recieved that I'm anxious to try out.  I'll let you know the results when I get chance to break them in.

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/04/04 at 23:07:49
Quote Print Post  
SMELLY JELLY!!

"Bass Feast flavour -----YUUUUUMM!"

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/05/04 at 01:02:18
Quote Print Post  
Do not know if it will help or hinder, but since it could possibly be a difference maker, I use it!  Smelly Jelly for the most part.

BillB

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/05/04 at 04:52:02
Quote Print Post  
Hey Y2SAYS,
Sorry everyone had to wait to give you this info until the big season is over with. I personally haven't really ever used scent. I've been in the back of the boat using no scent while the person in the front is and out fished them. Since I've been watching so many videos on bass fishing and been studying their behavior. I would sudjust working on your presentation more than what scent to use. Since the primary way a bass feeds is by sight. O the only scent I would never use is anything with a hint of potassium. Since finding out that fish run away when they smell it or taste it I watch what I eat before I fish and during my fishing time. So the old myth a banana brings bad luck in a boat is true.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/05/04 at 21:59:14
Quote Print Post  
That's funny cause I take 2 huge potassium pills a day. Guess I better be careful.

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/06/04 at 02:57:14
Quote Print Post  
rod remember your suppose to pea outside the boat not on your hands man. Plus it's only if it is contact with the lure. Your body stores the pottasium. Theirs not a whole lot that comes out in your sweat. So don't worry.

IP Logged

Bax
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/06/04 at 03:26:48
Quote Print Post  
With all that potassium at least you won't cramp up when reeling in the lunkers!

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/06/04 at 16:25:31
Quote Print Post  
Well there goes my secret...pee on the hands. Hopefully the pills help with the kidney stones...thats why the doc prescribed them. Nick...if you are gonna call me out, get the name right dude...

You sound like a biologist...

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo