Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Squawfish, or Pikeminnow (Read 6582 times)
Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Squawfish, or Pikeminnow
Reply #15 - 03/06/04 at 03:07:13
Quote Print Post  
Hey dudes,

I didn't call anyone on the site old school! You bunch of old geezers...  Grin I was saying that the enforcement officer was probably basing his opinion on old information.

I think most folks know that I just like stirring the pot, but my main point is that what a fish does in the Columbia River may not be the same in Lake Washington. We should respect all different types of fish. I believe it was a squawfish that said, "Can't we all just get along"?

Ok - that's a little corny. Time to stop.

As you were, Smitty.

Chris

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/06/04 at 03:35:09
Quote Print Post  
Ray,

I am the King of Squawfish in Lake Washington!  If you ever want to know where and when, bring a map of the lake to the meeting and I'll put you on them!

IP Logged

curtis_R
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/06/04 at 05:17:28
Quote Print Post  
what is squawfish

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/06/04 at 05:20:26
Quote Print Post  
Just read back a few messages in this string Curt....and as for Sarge..."Cant we all just get along?........"

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/06/04 at 15:23:57
Quote Print Post  
Curtis,

Here is a link to a little blurb and picture of a squawfish (northern pikeminnow):

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/recinfo/fishing/fishspecies/northernpikemi...

Here is the link to the reward fishery on the Columbia River:

http://www.pikeminnow.org

Chris

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/09/04 at 02:02:39
Quote Print Post  
Glenn, are you sure those were Squawfish in Palmer? I have seen some sort of fish with a pronounced < tail, but haven't caught any. Lucky me! The tail doesn't look like the picture at the link Chris posted, anyway. Mostly, they seem to be over by the road along the East shoreline. I don't recall them looking like carp, weren't all that large, either. I'm used to carp and squawfish being 5+ lbs.  or you don't ever see them, ya know? We speculated that they must come from the egg at about that size. Grin  I recall asking a local if they knew what these were, and they said they were a type of carp, if I remember right. The jumping and stuff is more carp-like. I count my angling trip a success if I don't catch a Squawfish, Carp or Perch.
C&R, Steve the Bass Bigot

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #21 - 03/09/04 at 02:11:24
Quote Print Post  
Beyond a doubt they were squawfish.  Looked exactly like the picture.  Caught a bunch all along the opposite side of the road  - all on crankbaits (fall fishing).  Biggest was about 4 lbs.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 03/09/04 at 02:29:18
Quote Print Post  
I wonder what those little jumping buggers were? They looked to be about 1 lb or so. Is there a small variety of carp, or maybe a whitefish or something like that in Palmer? The Squawfish isn't what you'd call a good looking fish, is it? Carp, too. But I gotta say, one of the best battles I've ever had was a Carp (est. ~8 lbs) on a splitshot rig. Hey, that was in one of WBC's favorite fishing holes on Banks, too.  Lips Sealed 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo