Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Squawfish, or Pikeminnow (Read 6581 times)
Skeptic
Ex Member

Squawfish, or Pikeminnow
03/02/04 at 15:51:59
Quote Print Post  
Hi Guys,

Long time no visit.  Embarrassed Went to Coulon Park in Renton yesterday afternoon and found a bunch of fishermen catching fish w/canned corn as bait off of the walkway in front of Ivar's.  They told me they were catching Squawfish.  I tried to look up Squawfish and found they're actually "Pikeminnows";.  They appeared to be fairly plump (one of the fishermen say they are full of eggs).  Does anyone know anything about them?  Are they worthy to target as sportfish?  They were keeping them but I didn't know if they were going to eat them.  Just curious.   ???  I figure if I'm bad at catching Bass, I might as well try something else!!

Ray

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Squawfish, or Pikeminnow
Reply #1 - 03/02/04 at 16:26:35
Quote Print Post  
Howdy Ray,

Good to hear from ya!

Northern Pikeminnow and squawfish are the same fish. The first name is "politically correct".

They are pretty popular with fisherman on Lake Washington. And heck, if it bites a hook and wiggles on the end of the line, then it has value to me as a sportfish  Grin I don't believe there is any limit on them, though.

I haven't eaten one, but I hear they are decent if you can get around the many bones. One concern is that some recent research is showing they may have high levels of mercury and PCBs in them. There will be more information on that coming out soon. Until then, if you decide to try them, I would keep the consumption low, especially for kids and pregnant women.

Chris

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/03/04 at 01:10:51
Quote Print Post  
Ray, squawfish (there are not worthy of the pike minnow name) are the only fish with a bounty on them.  Some anglers on the Columbia River suppliment their income with catching and bringing them to different stations.  I can't remember what the dollar amount is per fish but it think its between $3-$5.  I have caught a few on Washington but I just gouge out their eyes and let them swim away.  I'm not sure but I think they eat their and the basse's fair share of salmon smolt and the bass get all the blame.

IP Logged

Bax
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/03/04 at 01:39:01
Quote Print Post  
On some of the rivers there is a bounty on squawfish as they are predaters on juvenile salmonids.  It use to be something like $3.00 for  1-200, $4.00 for 201-400, and $5.00 for 401+.  Needless to say some people make quite a living catching squawfish.  I have never tried to catch them but in an Ichthyology course at WSU a guide came in a gave a presentation on them.  He said a bait he used was Albertsons fried chicken, something about the oil they used in their deep fryer made the fish go wild.  You may want to contact Fish/Wildlife and see if there is any bounty on them from Lk Wa.  Good luck.

Don B.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/03/04 at 03:58:00
Quote Print Post  
Hey guys,

Squawfish get a bad rap, and to be honest, I think they're a cool fish! It's a waste to kill them when you catch them. The Columbia River is a different issue. Currently, there is no bounty on Lake WA squaw-daddies.

Just to fill people in on the latest Lake Washington research around salmon in the lake, it is neither squawfish or bass that get the rap for most predation. The smoking gun is the cutthroat trout. It turns out that they are most likely to eat the most salmon in the lake. But - I wouldn't kill any cutts you catch unless you want to eat them. Both cutthroat and squawfish are native fish and they deserve a little respect, dagnabbit!  Grin They both provide awesome fisheries for those that target them.

On the other hand, sockeye salmon aren't even native to the Cedar River, but they probably get the most research money. As far as bass predation is concerned, most Lake Washington fish managers have realized that bass don't really overlap with salmon on time and spatial scales (i.e. early in the year when salmon migrate to salt, bass are usually deep and on the bottom of the lake while salmon are shallow and near the surface). The only time you see significant bass predation is in the ship canal, where everyone is crowded into a tight channel.

Sorry - a typical Sergeant rant.  Roll Eyes As you were.

Best fishes,
Chris

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/03/04 at 14:01:53
Quote Print Post  
Nice phraseology Chris.  As YOU were! Grin  I like it!

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/03/04 at 15:03:28
Quote Print Post  
Wait a minute!  I thought that Brian went by the name of Weedwalker!! Shocked

Rich

IP Logged

Skeptic
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/03/04 at 16:22:48
Quote Print Post  
Aw come on guys, why don't you tell me what you really think!!  Excellent info.  I knew if I asked this, I'd get a lot of good replies.  We've got a great wealth of resources (as far as fishing info) in the club.  Thanks guys.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/03/04 at 16:36:38
Quote Print Post  
LOL, at all of you!  Grin Good one, Rich.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/04/04 at 03:26:33
Quote Print Post  
Squawfish don't fight very well or very long. Not much sport to it. About like a Walleye, come to think of it. Carp would be a much better target fish for sport fishing. I always remove the hooks in the water, on the open water side of the boat, if you get my drift. It makes the Bald Eagles happy. Save a Salmon, feed an Eagle.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/05/04 at 04:31:15
Quote Print Post  
Squaw fish are eagle food!  (Sorry Sarge, I'm showing my prejudice!  Besides, I had a fishery game warden tell me 5 years ago to wack on the head, not to let them go... what's with that?)

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/05/04 at 16:46:11
Quote Print Post  
Cry

No respect for the mighty squaw-dad.

Cry

I have the utmost respect for game wardens, but in this case I believe his advice was not good. That kind of advice is working off old-school beliefs...

Chris

IP Logged

Skeptic
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/05/04 at 18:57:23
Quote Print Post  
OOOHHHHH!!!  I think someone just called someone else Old . . . school.   Lips Sealed

In any case, catching them and whacking (or not whacking) them is still catching something that pulls up heavier than what you put in the water.  I may do this sometime over the week.

If headlines read next week that "a Middle-aged, but ravishingly handsome Filipino fisherman was mobbed by other less attractive fishermen for beating up their catches", you'll know the story behind the story.

Again, great info and many stands on the soap box!!

Opinions.  Lies about the size of Fish we catch.  That's what this Club is all about.   Shocked

VIVA LA WBC!!

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/05/04 at 20:43:51
Quote Print Post  
Old school Doug here,
I hold Chris as one of my heroes in the fish knowledge world, but I have to part ways with him on this issue.  I won't pretend to try and understand the appreciation for this fish.  Unfortunately I may have purpetuated the squawfish myths by teaching my son the joys fisheye gouging on squawfish.  From now on, I will only be releasing my squawfish in the presences or reach of large flying birds or small domesticated felines.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #14 - 03/05/04 at 20:57:46
Quote Print Post  
Palmer Lake is loaded with sqawfish, although not as many as before after I got through fishing it.   The Eagles were well fed, tho!  Shocked

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo