Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) fishing is the best medication! (Read 18678 times)
virgilw
Ex Member

fishing is the best medication!
12/11/03 at 21:22:23
Quote Print Post  
Undecided Well for the last 5 days now I've been either in the emergency dept, Drs. office or flat on my back on the floor with all the drugs I can find tring to shake back pain.
    I've always said that another surgery wasn't an if it's a when.  My doc and nero surgon are consulting, cussing and discussing the details. I should find out next week whats up.
   Meanwhile cabin fever will set in Ifin I don't find some backseats...so if your heading out please think of me and your back seat.
   Home # 253-854-8911....pager. 206-540-6077

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Re: fishing is the best medication!
Reply #1 - 12/15/03 at 22:53:27
Quote Print Post  
Still looking for back seats. Embarrassed

IP Logged

pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/16/03 at 02:33:49
Quote Print Post  
Virg-
If I don't end up going duck hunting this weekend I'll give you a shout.  I should have a better idea by the end of the week so give me a call if you haven't heard  back from me.

I would love to cure that bad back of yours by catching a few smallies.  I know the pain you must be going through right now.  I had back surgery at the tender age of 28 and for me, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Look forward to talking to you soon.

Bob

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 12/16/03 at 02:36:03
Quote Print Post  
Patience kiddo.  Been wanting to go out myself, but between the weather and the Christmas rush....

I suspect that's the same for most of us, since nobody posted a fishing report for this past weekend.

Ya, ya... I'm not a die-hard like some of you guys.  I like getting out in the winter - just not willing to brave freezing temps or winds.  Mid-40's and calm days are perfect for me (rain or shine).

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/16/03 at 04:21:22
Quote Print Post  
Hey Virg........Friday after about 10 or 11 AM I will be avail. if you wanna try some Mortimer action!.........and if the Dr. can see fit...if'n he doos the surgry mebe he kin darken them legs a li'l?...........Just a X-Mas Wish from a cntry boy!  Grin

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/16/03 at 17:59:45
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys! my hm# 253-854-8911   pgr, 206-540-6077

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/23/03 at 05:27:18
Quote Print Post  
CheesyWELL TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY IN THREE WEEKS THAT I WAS ABLE TO BE OFF A BED THE MAJORITY OF THE DAY!
   I have a surigical procedure last fri that my be working some, I took it slow but was able to put my own boat in the water on Wa. and once I got settled in the seat and didn't move I did ok until it was time to move again... than without drugs all day I thought I was going to die again. so things are looking up. I will see if I can have that procedure repeated again...and if this works again I might be able to bump the big knife down the road a bit.
   I still do have some time off work so if your going out or want to go out give me call , HM 253-854-8911
work...ha ha I don't have to work !

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/23/03 at 05:35:11
Quote Print Post  
oh ps, also my first day of not having to pull over and lay down in the truck seat for 30 min., and walked without crutches. Smiley

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/24/03 at 05:17:41
Quote Print Post  
Tomarrow is going to be a killer. I'm going back in for surgery at 10;00 .....so if you have a back seat say noon?   No I think I'm done till at least the day after christmas, so I probably won't have access to this web so Please everyone have a good, safe Christmas.
   You can leave me a msg, at hm.# 253-854-8911
or I'll keep my pager with me. 206-540-6077
                           Mery Christmas.  Wink

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #9 - 12/24/03 at 05:29:14
Quote Print Post  
Hang in there Virg!  Hope all goes well.  Take care of yourself big guy!  The fish will always be there.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/24/03 at 14:59:59
Quote Print Post  
Virgil,  I think that I have given Dem Doctors enough practice that your surgery should go pretty smooth.

Piece of advice: Take a felt tip pen and mark on ALL parts that are not to be operated on in big, bold letters NO!
Also, check Doctor's reflexes and give sobriety test.  You don't want to hear "Nurse, I said slip off his SPECTACLES, not snip off his..."  opps, family board.

Anyway, you get the idea Grin.  We will all keep you in our thoughts till we hear from you.  After that it will be back to VW who?

Rich

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/27/03 at 04:57:03
Quote Print Post  
Rich? Dude why didn't you contact me earler with all your surgical advice?
   I did have another surgery, the surgen heard "back" surgery, put me on my back and lopted off some parts!
   Being that I have worked trauma medicine for about 18 years now, (fortunately) I knew the trick about puting a big bold "NO" on parts you might want to keep, but there was not enough space to put a bold #1 let alone a big word like no.
    After surgery my back no longer hurt (it was the drugs, and laying down for two hours) so I peeked under the dressing of the part that did hurt, and bygollie the Dr. found plenty of room to write the word oops!
    Fortunately I was in law enforcement for 14 years so I will be able to hit what I aim for when I go in to pay the bill.
   In Short, I was going in to try and medically numb the nurve root ends to take the pain away which is a temporary fix at best, but when I got there we decided that I was in so much pain, and have been for 11 years, to try and kill that nurve in the spinal cord where it  was starting from in my back and going down my R leg. If we can take care of the pain than we might be able to stall the big knife down the road aways.
   Like I said...it was a killer, but don't really know how much was killed yet.
   The outside of my R leg feels like an eraser. (dead) My R calf. on the inside is very very painfull and more so if you touch it on the outside. some times I am not able to walk on it even with crutches.
   Pain scale from 1-10, before, 10 being suicidal, I was an 11 for 3 weeks. Now I am most of the time at a 4-5! What a relief!!!  at times goes up higher without the big guns.
   Now I will try and stay out of the ER for the big pain control untill Jan. the 8th when I am going to see the nuro-surgeon to see how bad, how soon do we need the big knife. With the pain I had I could no longer wait for Jan the 8th before I got some kind of relief...I  broke!
   ...And the sad part is I know how to play the hosp. and Dr. games to be seen soon! and it took 3 1/2 weeks! 
   I have always felt bad for and fought for the under dogs in the systems that don't know how to get through the game playing systems....times have changed!....Now I can't even do it for myself!  WHAT A SAD JOKE IT IS!
   Thanks guys for the concerns and ph msgs. I will be staying at the Dr. house for another day or so, than will be back "home" you can call my pgr. 206-540-6077
   vw.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/27/03 at 05:08:33
Quote Print Post  
Good to hear Virg........at least some relief is Relief! and on the part about touching your Calf.............in these days of Mad Cow Disease I feel your CALF is totally safe........maybe even quarantined.......Have a better weekend!! Grin Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #13 - 12/27/03 at 05:34:25
Quote Print Post  
Oy!  And I thought gettin' stuck by a hook was painful!   Shocked

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/27/03 at 16:14:54
Quote Print Post  
Virgil WHO?  Oh VW.  Glad to hear that you are at least getting some relief.  As Larry said some is better then none.

Larry, if the "drugs" help to relieve the pain then you might want to look into the same procedure that I had.  The problem with taking "oral" pain meds is that they affect many other processes then just the pain area.  When I was taking 6-8 Percs/day I would get the sedated feeling, ie, sleepy, groggy, etc.  Kind of like a bass fisherman Shocked  That was just too much of a good thing, especially while trying to work or drive.  Now that the meds go directly to the base of the nerve and are basically contained in the spinal column I don't get as much of the sedated affects.  But still get quite alot of relief.  Just a thought.

BTW, which horsepistal are you in?  Would have made it a point to come see you if I knew earlier, but it sounds like you will be out before I could get there.  As many hospitals as I have been in the UW gets my vote.

Just remember "Old fishermen never die they just can't keep their rod up!"

Rich

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo