Normal Topic Fish survival? (Read 4341 times)
Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Fish survival?
10/07/03 at 13:06:54
Quote Print Post  
I have been fishing Lake Washington and have been pulling perch out of 45 - 50ft and the mortality rate has been almost 100% how can I avoid this with bass?

Grin

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Re: Fish survival?
Reply #1 - 10/07/03 at 15:04:30
Quote Print Post  
Jim, good question! Do as you usually do...don't catch them in the first place Undecided Kiss they are alot of ways to do this, and every body has their own way. Maybe this we can discuss at the G-meeting for all to get in on...but wait a day or two and this site will be full of ideas.
   One way I do it in the winter and fun fishing is to tie a small rope to the bottom of a plastic milk box with the box upside down put the fish back in the water with the crate over the top of him and lower it down. The crate will push the fish down, being that it will want to float. Keep lowering it down and when the fish is ready and recouperated it will swim out from underneith the crate. Just alil time consuming, but fish will live.
    Now for a more thrilling way. If it's a fish you can spare (perch) and there are Eagles in the trees, just toss em out and watch the fish and the Eagle. Pat S and I feed an Eagle a 13 inch perch on the tournie, although I do this alot on other lakes this was the first time pat saw this act of nature so up close. it's awesome watching them put their landing gear down and snag lunch. VW

IP Logged

GotSix, Jr.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/07/03 at 21:33:02
Quote Print Post  
Jim,

The technique Virgil described is probably the best when out fun fishing. Just remember to bring a weight for the milk crate (3-5 pounds), or you will be waiting a long time for your fish to sink.

You will have a lot more luck with that technique than "fizzing". Fizzing is where you use a large needle to deflate the air bladder of the fish. This is about the only way to do it in a tournament, but luckily we don't run across the situation very often in this state. Every fish's air bladder is shaped a little differently, and it is hard to poke in the right place every time. Poke in the WRONG place, and you will possibly puncture an internal organ. If you want to see a diagram of how it is done, hunt me down at the next meeting. I should have a diagram in my box o' goodies.

Also remember that perch, for some reason, have gas bladders that are more sensitive than a lot of fish. I have caught them as shallow as 15 feet and seen their bladder poking into their mouth when they come up. Most bass caught in the 30-35 foot range and above will be ok.

Best fishes,
Chris

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/08/03 at 01:17:07
Quote Print Post  
I heard from somewhere, I believe Bassmaster Mag. that you can take a Barbless hook.......rigged on a heavy Dropshot....20 lb test with a 3-5 lb ball weight and hook the fish on the OUTSIDE of the nose........and lower him down.....when you pop the line the fish just swims off...I would like to see this and how it works with a Camera first though and maybe we can tape it to show at a meeting....Hmmmmmmmmm....

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #4 - 10/08/03 at 03:21:33
Quote Print Post  
Yes, Larry, I think you're right - Bassmasters.  I read that too.  Never tried it though.

I'd have to agree with Chris, perch are much more "delicate" than bass.  In fact, I've caught bass as deep as 50' deep and they've had no problem swimming right back down if released right away.

The fizzing technique is usually used by the "big" tournaments - but usually it's done by a biologist, or at least somebody who really knows what they're doing.  I have a diagram on my site if you're interested, but like Chris said, it's tricky.

That Chris guy seems to know a thing or two about bass biology.  It's as if he learned it in college or something.   Wink

IP Logged

GotSix, Jr.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/08/03 at 04:12:48
Quote Print Post  
HAHA, Glenn  Cheesy And, I just started going to school again for those stupid fishes. I still have a ton to learn!!! I keep asking the fish questions, and they never talk back... You will also notice that there are hardly ever any biologists that become excellent fishermen. The only one I know off the top of my head is Ken Cook. I am DOOMED FOR LIFE!

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/08/03 at 14:07:34
Quote Print Post  
I think it was Lyal L that said he uses the dropshot trick, so maybe he can tell us about it.  lets bring it up at the meeting!

IP Logged

Harley
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/08/03 at 17:55:25
Quote Print Post  
Hey Chris there might be hope for you yet in school.  Roland is a fish biologest and he might have won a tourny or two in his day. FYI
Grin

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/08/03 at 19:43:43
Quote Print Post  
Denny Brauer's son also graduated from the University of MO as a fish biologist.  While he has no big wins like dad, he has done alright on the BASS tour and the Central PRO-AM. 8)

Smitty Wink

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/08/03 at 22:44:09
Quote Print Post  
As you know, Larry G. and I have been winter fishing for years and caught hundreds of bass down to 60 feet.  We had the same fears too when we started fishing deep, but we've watched fish after fish return straight to the bottom on the sonar.  The trick is to use a little tougher line than usual and get them to the surface ASAP!!!  If you sit around and try to finesse them up - you'll create all kinds of problems.  Get em up fast - and they go down fast!

It's true about the perch - they're gull food most of the time from that depth.  That's why we only troll for the big boys - away from the schools of little guys.   Use larger lures (rapalas) so only big mouths can swallow the treble.  Look for arches near the bottom - not the clouds that represent a thousand little guys. Those hump-backed bruisers are loners (or in pairs) and don't go to school any more.  Bring them to the surface and they're headed for the pan anyway!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo