Normal Topic 2004 Lake Selections..... (Read 3914 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

2004 Lake Selections.....
09/03/03 at 02:07:39
Quote Print Post  
Hey Western! Time again to get to the next years lake selections as....yes the year is coming to an end.
So without furthur adeau.....ohhhhh French!! (probable spelled wrong!)

April Draw Tourney.............Silver lake-Cowlitz Co....Alt.....Duck lake-Ocean Shores......Yes I love Duck Lake but the city scares me!

May Points tourney.............Lake Chelan.........Alt- Columbia at Vantage.......yes something new!

June Points tourney............Lake Washington.....Alt of Lake Sammamish.......westerly stuff.

July Jack-n-Jill tourney..........Roosevelt Lake.....Alt.- Potholes......need lots of fish!

August points tourney..........Lake Whatcom......Alt.- Banks lake.......we've been neglecting Whatcom due to camping time to dig up a campground!

Sept. points tourney.............Riffe lake.......Alt.- Banks.....

October Team Tourney..........Lake Washington with a day one tourney on the main lake with Lake Union Off Limits till day two where the top Six teams will fish a Six hole course on Lake Union....remember this is a no wake section and speed is of the essence!
so lets hear your ideas and it is YOUR Club!

IP Logged

pays2no
Ex Member

Re: 2004 Lake Selections.....
Reply #1 - 09/04/03 at 22:47:49
Quote Print Post  
Here are my selections:

April Draw-  Lake Sammamish  Alt- Lake Washington

May Points- Moses Lake (nice smallies and largies this time of year) Alt- Potholes

June Points- Banks- Why?  Ask Kirk! Alt- Roosevelt

July J&J- Potholes  Alt- Whatcom

August Points- Roosevelt- What can I say..I love this lake.  Lots of beautiful scenery and a lot of fish to catch.
Alt- Columbia River- Near Yakima River confluence

Sept Points- Scootney Reservoir- why?  Because it is something different and I've heard from Kirk and a few others this lake holds some nice fish.  Also, it appears in  the last three years at least the tournament turnout is significantly lower which should loosen up the pressure on community known hot spots.  "Like I know any in Scootney- Right"

Team Tournament- Sammamish   Alt-  Lake Washington- Larry, I like your idea about fishing a six hole course, but what about the person who still thinks they have a shot in the 7th or 8th position.....too bad eh?  I like your style you tough guy!! By the way how's the boat repairs coming?  Are you on the water yet?

IP Logged

pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/05/03 at 23:18:23
Quote Print Post  
I hope the lack of responses regarding next years tournament locations aren't left to just Larry and I. 

I am sure all of you are just taking lots of time to analyze some great bodies of water for us  ...right? right!  Come on guys...let's hear what's on your mind.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 09/06/03 at 00:29:44
Quote Print Post  
April: Silver Lake. I think it is time to go back! There are some HUGE bass in that lake! Duck is actually my first vote, but I nixed it because ... well, that city council is screwed up and some of the lakeshore residents are jerks. Whatcom was another thought, but it seems to fish small (only certain small spots will produce fish) in April, and there is no way to prefish for it since it is closed for the winter season.   So... Duck lake as an alternate by default.

May: Potholes rules!  Yup, the wind sucked this year, but that would have been the case no matter where we were that weekend.  Nonetheless, some awesome bags were brought in.  Just think how it would have been if that front hadn't blown through.  Alt: Moses

June: Moses Lake.  It's been a long time since the club fished it (approx 7 yrs ago) and the fishing wasn't that great.  I think this lake, just like Roosevelt, is on the rebound so it's time to revisit.  Alt: Silver Lake. It should be excellent fishing this time of year.  Those big pigs should be spawning.  

July: Roosevelt.  Just the great scenery alone will keep the Jills happy - but the fishing should be at it's peak at that time too.  All the better.  Alt: Potholes Reservoir.  There will be great camping then (shade!), and the lake will still have a lot of water left to fish for largemouth in the dunes. This is a prime time of the year for smallies along the dam, so less-experienced wives can have a good time.  

August: This is when Banks lake really shines.  I don't know why this lake is a "late" bloomer, but man - the bite is typically ON during August.  Alt:  Columbia river at Tri-Cities.  Sean McConnville just won a 1-day tournament there with a 1-bag limit of smallies weighing over 22lbs!  Big fish was over 7 pounds!!

September: Banks Lake. We haven't fished Banks in September for a long time.  Trust me, there's a reason a big group of us vacation there every year in September.  If the weather cooperates, the topwater bite is phenominal. There won't be much recreational traffic, either. Sounds fun to me!  Alt: Potholes - it's a totally different lake this time of year.  Different lures, colors and tactics than you would use on this lake than in the spring.  Totally different locations too.

October: Now that it's a 2-day tournament, Lake Whatcom.  We've never fished it then and I've always felt the deep waters make this lake warm up late in the spring, but they also keep the lake warm later in the season.  For that reason, I think it's better in the fall than spring.  Alt: Samammish - same reasons, plus it's nice to have a tournament close to home.  It's easy on the wallet too!

« Last Edit: 09/09/03 at 03:52:38 by Admin »  
IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/09/03 at 03:43:23
Quote Print Post  
EmbarrassedBob, there are alot of good plans up here....my input is to not put in. most my club life I have been a non-boater, so it wasn't really up to me to pick where we go, I just follow the boater where ever he goes anyway,
   Since my devorce I can't afford to do tournies, so I will not vote to sway the vote of a lake that I will not be fishing.....and likewise for those out there that shouldn't be voting cuz you won't be fishing, let the votes count of those that will be fishing. Backseaters that will be seeking backseats...by all means VOTE.
   My input that I didn't put in. VW

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/09/03 at 15:41:35
Quote Print Post  
As a side note, and it will be said in the newsletter as well, the board will be taking absentee votes for tournament lake nominations. Please email me your first and second choices for each month if you cannot make it to this month's general membership meeting.

My email is: fishboy@u.washington.edu

I won't count the ones posted here on the website, only ones emailed to me.

Any emails sent to me after the meeting date will not be counted.

Also, like Virgil said, if you don't plan on fishing tournaments next year, you shouldn't cast tournament lake votes.

For those new to voting, there are 7 tournaments each year: April-October. April is a draw tournament, and it needs to be on the west side of the mountains in case of snow on the passes. July is a Jack 'n' Jill tournament. October is a team tournament. All other months are points tournaments that count toward Angler of the Year standings.

Thanks everyone,
Chris

IP Logged

pays2no
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/09/03 at 19:19:06
Quote Print Post  
Chris...your thoughts for tourney places?

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/10/03 at 05:51:09
Quote Print Post  
Tongue

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/10/03 at 23:08:10
Quote Print Post  
Another thing I thought of...

Instead of emailing me, you can also just click on my screen name here and send me an instant message with your tourney lake votes.

Let's see, Bob. I vote for Potholes in May!

I don't know what I want to vote for yet, but here is another opinion for everyone to think about. I like fishing new places for sure, but everytime we choose a new place, the tournament director's load gets heavier. He will need to find a launch ramp and camping area in a new area he may not be familiar with. So if you do vote for a new place, try to help find out about camping areas and access to help the 2004 TD out.

I am also a creature of habit. I like the traditional WBC schedule... Potholes in May, Banks in June, etc. The more often people fish one body of water, the more competition we get every year. It forces people to become better because everyone is learning the same spots!!! Every year you have to pull out a new stop or trick to have a chance at placing well. I think that is fun!

I look forward to next year's schedule, however it turns out. I just hope that I am able to fish most of the tournaments!!!

Chris

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #9 - 09/24/03 at 00:26:39
Quote Print Post  
Hey guys(and Gals),
     In past years we've tried changing things up abit and it always seems to destroy the turnouts.  I may be old fashioned in that sort of way.
APRIL-SILVER
MAY-POTHOLES
JUNE-BANKS
JULY-DUCK
AUG.-WHATCOM
SEPT.-RIFFE
OCT.-WASHINGTON
  I hope not to offend anyone with these choices, but if I'm not mistaken, noone has had wins on the same lake consecutive years.  (NOT even KIRK)  If I have a say in the matter, we should keep the tourneys on lakes that common folks get a chance to learn through the years and become better anglers not by learning new lakes but becoming proficient on a few they have confidence on.  The OLD people from years back saw this.  I think we should remain where people are comfortable and somewhat confident.  THE PREZ. HAS SPOKEN!!!!!!!!!

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo