Normal Topic The Blazer's Had It (Read 3738 times)
Jfchoate1
Ex Member

The Blazer's Had It
02/24/03 at 20:37:01
Quote Print Post  
Well I found out that the main seal has gone out on my Blazer, so I need advice. I'm in the market for a new tow rig. It doesn't really need to be able to fly up the passes as I have a full size chevy at my disposal for that. It does need to have room for me and the wife and kids. It will be my wifes commuter car(5 miles round trip). Leaning towards a pick-up, V6 should be fine for my local fishing needs. Also the slim possibity of an AWD minivan. Looking for any suggestions. I'm on a 10K budget. FYI, my boat is a 17' Tracker Targa Alum deep V with a 90hp on it.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Re: The Blazer's Had It
Reply #1 - 02/25/03 at 00:40:19
Quote Print Post  
I might have an idea, I'll look into it. V-DUB-YA

IP Logged

Hunter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/25/03 at 02:21:31
Quote Print Post  
Pick up under $10,000 with room for mom dad and kids. Might not be the easiest to find. You might have to go with a van or SUV. Unless you want 2 wheel drive. Room for 4 you would need an extra cab. And the mid sized pickups don't have room enough in the extra cab. So you'd need full sized.

Lots of good mid sized V6 SUV out there that can handle the job. And well under $10,000

Hunter

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/25/03 at 03:30:46
Quote Print Post  
Jeff I will call ya, a friend has an F-250 Powerstroke with 250.000 very well maintained miles is a full size bed with a matching shell. last I saw he wanted $10.500 it I believe is a 92 or 93.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/25/03 at 03:54:23
Quote Print Post  
Jeff, I just spoke to Bill the guy who owns the truck I was wrong it is going for $12.000 and is in the truck trader this week on page 102 of the over $9000 section sorry for the errant info.

IP Logged

Jfchoate1
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/25/03 at 04:28:50
Quote Print Post  
Well since we actaully had a day without rain I crawled under it. After getting oil everywhere I've determined that it may just need a new oil adapter seal. This doesn't mean I'm not going to get a new rig just means if this is the problem I can get a little more for the blazer.

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/25/03 at 04:52:49
Quote Print Post  
Jeff,

I think you're best bet for a family-sized rig would be a higher-mileage diesel Suburban or something similar. I had a friend who just bought an early 90's Suburban 6.5L diesel with 170,000 miles on it for $6K. It should easily get close to 300K miles without any major problems. Don't let people sway you from the older Chevy diesels. The 6.5 L engines are awesome! And you will get almost as good a mileage as a 6 cylinder. Also, you won't have to borrow a bigger truck for trips over the pass.

They are a rare rig, but if you look hard you should be able to find one... If you really have to have that 6 cylinder in your price range, your best bet is probably a minivan. Actually, Ford Taurus station wagons with the V6 pull pretty well, too!

Good luck, and have fun searching Cheesy

Chris

IP Logged

Jfchoate1
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/25/03 at 05:08:10
Quote Print Post  
keep the info coming guys this is helping alot.
I dont really have to borrow the bigger truck its my brothers and 90% of the time my tourny partner so its more of a trade off my boat/his truck. MY 2 concers with a minivan are 1 lack of a truck bed but I've lived without that for years. The bigger on being nasty ramps, my home lake has a 10-12 drop at the end or the concrete that the trailer drops off before its low enuf to load the boat. So when pulling it out its like pulling the trailer over a curb on an incline. Then if the ramps wet do  I have to get a running start and hope to hop over it?

Also an extra cab should be enuf room for the kids they are 6 and 2 now.

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #8 - 03/02/03 at 23:00:32
Quote Print Post  
Sorry to here that bud.  You've put that poor chev through hell and back and it's taken it.  I'll keep my eyes peeled and let you know.  You know the number too.  See ya.

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

Jfchoate1
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/02/03 at 23:53:02
Quote Print Post  
Done deal, Picked up a 1996 Chevy Astro with 82k on it. Its got the tow package just need to pick up a hitch.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo